How to set F5 as refresh in Firefox [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

How to set F5 as refresh in Firefox [SOLVED]

Post by gibbs1984 »

For some reason the F5 button doesn't seem to refresh my browser window (doesn't do anything).

I think it is the only keyboard shortcut that doesn't work and I used to use it pretty often. I can still use the refresh button on the menu via the mouse but I like to use the F5 button.

Other buttons on my keyboard work correctly like the volume up and down, My Music, Mail etc.

Well actually the Web/Home button seems to bring up Nemo...

I can't see anything in Cinnamon Settings > Keyboard that changes the refresh behaviour in Firefox.

My keyboard is a Microsoft Wireless Multimedia Keyboard 1.1:

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon) 64bit.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: How to set F5 as refresh in Firefox

Post by karlchen »

Hello, gibbs1984.

My system:
Linux Mint 14, 32-bit, Firefox 18.0.2, Cinnamon 1.6.7, mdm 1.0.8.
Keyboard: No-name Windows keyboard KB9810.

Checked it right now:
<Ctrl>+r as well as <F5>, pressed inside Firefox, will make Firefox refresh the current page. - Have not done anything special to make the two shortcuts work. They simply did do so out of the box.

Checked Cinnamon Settings => Keyboard => Keyboard Shortcuts: No shortcut found using <F5> systemwide for any action.

Therefore <F5> should not be intercepted by any other software as long as Firefox has got the input focus. - So more likely than not in your case there will be some software which registered <F5> systemwide and intercepts it so that Firefox has got no chance of reacting on it.

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

karlchen wrote:Hello, gibbs1984.

My system:
Linux Mint 14, 32-bit, Firefox 18.0.2, Cinnamon 1.6.7, mdm 1.0.8.
Keyboard: No-name Windows keyboard KB9810.

Checked it right now:
<Ctrl>+r as well as <F5>, pressed inside Firefox, will make Firefox refresh the current page. - Have not done anything special to make the two shortcuts work. They simply did do so out of the box.

Checked Cinnamon Settings => Keyboard => Keyboard Shortcuts: No shortcut found using <F5> systemwide for any action.

Therefore <F5> should not be intercepted by any other software as long as Firefox has got the input focus. - So more likely than not in your case there will be some software which registered <F5> systemwide and intercepts it so that Firefox has got no chance of reacting on it.

Kind regards,
Karl
Thanks for the reply Karl.

I didn't know about Ctrl + r, just tried it and that shortcut refreshes the page so like you say some software must be using F5 as a shortcut, now the hard part I suppose. How do I track that down?

I looked for shortcuts in Firefox and from what I saw in the Preferences there was a tab for shortcuts but I can't see it now.

I'll go through all the shortcuts in Keyboard Shortcuts and see if I can see it.

The only thing I can think of is that when I used Compiz ages ago on previous versions of Linux Mint that it used F5 for something (I don't use Compiz since moving to Cinnamon).
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

So this problem still exists in Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 32bit.

I remapped the F5 key to another shortcut and then remapped it to another key so the F5 key definitely isn't used by another shortcut.

It's like all of my F keys aren't recognised as shortcuts, the F5 key doesn't work in Nemo either. Just checked in Chrome and it doesn't work there either and I can't find any options in the Keyboard Shortcuts section to map a key to a Refresh option.

My other special keys like the Mail, Play, Stop etc buttons all work fine.

Does anyone know the command to setup the Refresh in Nemo/Firefox?
Zalbor

Post by Zalbor »

Are you sure the F Lock key isn't activated?
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Re:

Post by gibbs1984 »

Zalbor wrote:Are you sure the F Lock key isn't activated?
No of course not, it couldn't be something so simple as that :oops: :(

Thanks, that fixed it, didn't even know about the F Lock button :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”