Linux Mint 17 "Qiana" Cinnamon is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Linux Mint 17 "Qiana" Cinnamon is out!

Post by mr_raider »

temetka wrote:Seeing as how this is an LTE release, couldn't I just install the 64 bit version and slap KDE on top of it? I prefer KDE and have no problems installing it myself and was about to download LM16 and install that but noticed that LM17 is out.

Thanks for the hard work.
If you are going to do that, better use kubuntu. The raw KDE environment is somewhat different from Mint KDE.
simonbrown

Post by simonbrown »

tek_heretik wrote: ...I can't find how to show ALL window buttons from all workspaces in the window list buttons applet (I normally use 5 workspaces, so if I have 1 or 2 things open on each workspace, now I would have to remember which program is on what workspace, instead of just clicking on the program's window list button and auto go to that workspace, this is typical behaviour in Xfce), or how to get icons to show in the workspace pager. I get the idea behind corner smacking and Expo but I prefer the pager and window list buttons.
The windows quick list at the end of the applets in the far corner, next to the time
temetka
Level 1
Level 1

Post by temetka »

killer de bug wrote:
temetka wrote:Seeing as how this is an LTE release, couldn't I just install the 64 bit version and slap KDE on top of it? I prefer KDE and have no problems installing it myself and was about to download LM16 and install that but noticed that LM17 is out.

Thanks for the hard work.
LTS long term support.
LTE is a modem ;)

I would advise you to wait for the KDE version to be released. Of course you can install it your self. But it will be better integrated if you use the official iso. And you will have less useless stuff and your system will be lighter. :)
I was very tired when I wrote that post. Thanks for the correction. ;)
rfraser3

Post by rfraser3 »

Excellent - just installed 32 bit version on my netbook and it just all worked straight away! :D
Rog
turtlebay777

Post by turtlebay777 »

That's Mint. First time, every time!
alleyoopster

Post by alleyoopster »

Thanks to everyone on the team :grin:

Sent from my GT-5660 using Tapatalk 2
Mint Condition

Post by Mint Condition »

Thanks for the new version, I know I'm going to love it after I installed it on 2 machines (currently running 14 and 16).

However, I noticed there is a new update manager included in version 17, so I was wondering, whether it will be possible again to show the apt shell output in such a way that the user can read it, instead of directly closing the window after the update has been completed. Always having to start a terminal with "tail -f /var/log/apt/term.log" before starting the update manager is a workaround, but it is quite annoying. So when will the update manager offer to be verbose again, at last?

I would normally use apt-get upgrade instead, but as I found out, the update manager does some things differently, and after all, isn't it nice to have a GUI app that provides the same value as a shell app would?

Thank you for any ideas and hints (maybe a hidden switch to keep the update manager window from disappearing until the user clicks close in some config file or so?) you might be able to give me on that!

Best regards and keep up the good work!
ZenBeam
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ZenBeam »

In this thread on Qiana Mate RC, which has since been locked, several of us were wondering how to deal with the Level 5 Security Updates. The Update Manager says Level 5 updates are dangerous packages that can effect stability, but on the other hand, they are Security updates. I don't know whether I should apply these or avoid these.
Mint Condition

Post by Mint Condition »

@ZenBeam: I have activated Levels 4 and 5 since I am using Linux Mint, which is about version 13 (I have been using Ubuntu and Debian before), and never had any problems. In my opinion, the warning about Level 4 and 5 updates is misplaced and does not make much sense.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

I think those are mostly kernel updates. I'm just doing the default updates on computers that I don't plan on changing the OS on for a long time. Probably won't bork your system by checking them during updates, but you probably don't need them either, and you are more likely to create an issue by checking them during the update process than not.
Incentive I.C

Post by Incentive I.C »

Out of curiosity anybody use the LVM option when installing?
Alan Reynolds

Post by Alan Reynolds »

Does Linux Mint 17 have a version of Wine bundled with it?
hexdef101

Post by hexdef101 »

Uhmmm No. I don't know of any Linux Distro that bundles Wine with the Distro. Its a fairly simple thing to just install wine from the repo's anyway.
tek_heretik

Post by tek_heretik »

hexdef101 wrote:Uhmmm No. I don't know of any Linux Distro that bundles Wine with the Distro. Its a fairly simple thing to just install wine from the repo's anyway.
Wine 1.6.2 search results at Distrowatch.com... http://distrowatch.com/search.php?pkg=w ... #pkgsearch

1.6.2 is the latest stable version and apparently some distros do include it.
hexdef101

Post by hexdef101 »

Not to argue with distrowatch (or you for that matter). Looking over the specific distro's listed as including Wine, I notice one package missing from their package list (also supplied). Not one of them include Wine in the package listing. So unless one of the users of solydxk specifically says its included in the standard release (not an alternate version, mind), I will have to doubt the veracity of distrowatch's listing. :D
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

hexdef101 wrote:So unless one of the users of solydxk specifically says its included in the standard release (not an alternate version, mind), I will have to doubt the veracity of distrowatch's listing. :D
Debian Testing has Wine 1.6 since the 20th of January. In April SolydXK had an UP. So now, Wine 1.6 is more than probably in SolydXK repo ;)
mintybits

Post by mintybits »

ZenBeam wrote:In this thread on Qiana Mate RC, which has since been locked, several of us were wondering how to deal with the Level 5 Security Updates. The Update Manager says Level 5 updates are dangerous packages that can effect stability, but on the other hand, they are Security updates. I don't know whether I should apply these or avoid these.
I agree. A dangerous security update is an oxymoron. :?

Besides, Mint should not be offering us anything that is dangerous in the first place. What does this mean...it hasn't been properly tested?

Needs fixing.
konjad

Post by konjad »

mintybits wrote:
ZenBeam wrote:In this thread on Qiana Mate RC, which has since been locked, several of us were wondering how to deal with the Level 5 Security Updates. The Update Manager says Level 5 updates are dangerous packages that can effect stability, but on the other hand, they are Security updates. I don't know whether I should apply these or avoid these.
I agree. A dangerous security update is an oxymoron. :?

Besides, Mint should not be offering us anything that is dangerous in the first place. What does this mean...it hasn't been properly tested?

Needs fixing.
lol, sure, maybe it shouldn't have any updates because anything might cause instability, even if tested.

lvl 5 updates are kernel updates. you shouldn't really update it if you are new to linux, as it might cause some issues in the OS.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

konjad wrote: lol, sure, maybe it shouldn't have any updates because anything might cause instability, even if tested.

lvl 5 updates are kernel updates. you shouldn't really update it if you are new to linux, as it might cause some issues in the OS.
Stop this FUD please!

Kernel updates are always level 5. But you have 2 situations:

1) You're changing the kernel version. For example from 3.12 to 3.13. You should consider this carefully. Do it only if you know what you are doing. By default this update is hidden to you.

2) This is a security fix for the same kernel. This update is visible. And you are more than advised to apply it. It's not really risky since you don't change the kernel version...

The level 5 updates you see at the moment are needed. They correct an important security issue in the kernel! Apply them!
Last edited by killer de bug on Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

Mint Condition wrote:@ZenBeam: I have activated Levels 4 and 5 since I am using Linux Mint, which is about version 13 (I have been using Ubuntu and Debian before), and never had any problems. In my opinion, the warning about Level 4 and 5 updates is misplaced and does not make much sense.
Indeed. Several people are having rendering issues from GL and mesa updates, which was a level 3 update! As long as you stay within the same kernel series, you are generally fine. The kernel feature in the new update manager segregates kernels very well.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”