Wired ethernet not working.

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Anton-Kappen

Wired ethernet not working.

Post by Anton-Kappen »

After installing Mint-13 64 bit next to Windows-XP, ethernet did not work in Mint. System has RTL8111/8168 PCIE on board. Installed the right driver from RTL. (lspci -v) tells me that the driver is present. (ifconfig -a) tells me that eth0 exists. I gave (ifconfig eth0 up) to start ethernet but I am still not connected. Normally this works in automatic mode (DHCP). Tried fixed IP , mask and DNS but that did not help.
Also after reboot ther is no connection. Ping to my router did not work. Boot in Windows and internet works fine. Strange. What's missing?
Can you please help me?

Anton
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ClutchDisc

Re: Wired ethernet not working.

Post by ClutchDisc »

Hi, did you try - Menu > Control Center > Driver Manager? If not, give that a try and see if there is a driver there that you need to use.
Anton-Kappen

Post by Anton-Kappen »

Yes I can see the R8168 driver in the driver manager and it is ACTIVATED.
This does not solve the problem.
Scooby-2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Scooby-2 »

I have a similar problem - nothing seems to affect the Network settings on a permanent basis. I think it's a bug. [No it isn't - see edit below.] Yesterday I switched DHCP on to install Mint 17 and the system ignores my attempts to revert to fixed ip. The only way to get it to work, for me, is as follows:

Code: Select all

sudo ifconfig eth0 down
sudo ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.5 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
sudo route add default gw 192.168.1.1
However this does not survive a reboot.

I have tried manually editting /etc/network/interfaces to

Code: Select all

# interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.5
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1
and then restarting networking but it does nothing.

Making matters worse, if I use the Network Connections box and add the appropriate data there it is totally ignored, and my connections show "Never" in the "Last used" column, even after restarting networking.

For me, having a static IP is imperative as my NAS server uses NFS (and hence the IP) for authentication. My workaround is to set my server to reserve an IP for this machine, but having had my network hacked, I don't like leaving DHCP on.

EDIT: I resolved my problem by deleting my wired and wireless connections, then reinstated the wired connection, tested it, then reinstated the wireless connection. Both are OK now.
Last edited by Scooby-2 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Incentive I.C

Post by Incentive I.C »

Anton-Kappen wrote:After installing Mint-13 64 bit next to Windows-XP, ethernet did not work in Mint. System has RTL8111/8168 PCIE on board. Installed the right driver from RTL. (lspci -v) tells me that the driver is present. (ifconfig -a) tells me that eth0 exists. I gave (ifconfig eth0 up) to start ethernet but I am still not connected. Normally this works in automatic mode (DHCP). Tried fixed IP , mask and DNS but that did not help.
Also after reboot ther is no connection. Ping to my router did not work. Boot in Windows and internet works fine. Strange. What's missing?
Can you please help me?

Anton
Is it trying to connect but fails?
Did you try reseting the modem after rebooting into Mint? Try that.
Arichit62

Post by Arichit62 »

Hi,
i am not getting internet through lan. i checked my syslog which appears to display,
ntp[980]:soliciting pool server 139.59.19.184

Thanks in advance
humanclock

Post by humanclock »

I had this same problem and tried everything on my desktop machine. I had done some system updates to both my Windows 7 installation and my Linux Mint 18. After that, my wired Ethernet would work fine in Windows 7, but not in Linux. I booted to an older Linux Mint USB key I had used to originally make the system. It too could not access the internet.

After two days of diversions, I thought maybe something got corrupted in the NIC, so I physically unplugged my computer and let it sit about a minute. I plugged it back in and booted into Linux...there was the internet! Booted into Windows 7, there was the internet too.
zaqcroyd

Post by zaqcroyd »

https://askubuntu.com/questions/596062/ ... -after-win may help some of you folks. Bottom line: you have to fully shut down Windows and ensure that it doesn't leave the NIC in a funny state before booting Mint.

Return to “Networking”