Solved ]Dual Boot installation Xp in C: & Mint in D: How to?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dnmint

Solved ]Dual Boot installation Xp in C: & Mint in D: How to?

Post by dnmint »

I have 2 partitions - C: 35 GB with XP in it. D: 45 GB having files & folders.
I installed VirtualBox ( 8 GB dynamic allocation )in C in Program files. In this VBox I have installed Ellyssa.
I find that C is getting fragmented fast. Also i the XP defragmenter is not able to defrag it.
Is this normal?
Should I install VBox in D & reinstall Elyssa in that partition than in Main C:
If I decide to make a Dual boot install, can I use D drive for Mint leaving C & XP as they are.
If so how will MBR be written with Grub
Would be grateful for advice
:?: :?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
hotweiss

Re: Dual Boot installation Xp in C: & Mint in D: How to?

Post by hotweiss »

If you are using Mint in Virtual Box, you won't have to worry about GRUB. As far as the fragmentation is concerned, is your hard drive FAT 32? If yes, there is your reason. Switch to NTFS...
rbanavara

Post by rbanavara »

Also for moving mint from C: to D:, you dont have to re-install. VBox uses vritual disk, which is actually a file. you can move that file to D: and just have to re-configure your VBox to use this file for the HDD. Also if you go for physical install, the GRUB will automatically be configured to handle both Windows & Mint (had seen couple of posts where people had issues with GRUB install part, if you are sceptic, just make sure you know how to install GRUB manually).
dnmint

Post by dnmint »

hotweiss wrote:If you are using Mint in Virtual Box, you won't have to worry about GRUB. As far as the fragmentation is concerned, is your hard drive FAT 32? If yes, there is your reason. Switch to NTFS...
My both partitions are NTFS.
In C: prior to installing VBox & Mint 12 GB out of 35 was occupied. After installation of Mint , it has 19 GB occupied. The increase, I presume, is to accommodate Mint & its files.
That portion is being sown as Frag & not defragging.
Any advice on installing Mint ( as Duasl boot- NOT VBox ) in D: with XP being in C:
Thanks
dnmint

Post by dnmint »

rbanavara wrote:Also for moving mint from C: to D:, you dont have to re-install. VBox uses vritual disk, which is actually a file. you can move that file to D: and just have to re-configure your VBox to use this file for the HDD. Also if you go for physical install, the GRUB will automatically be configured to handle both Windows & Mint (had seen couple of posts where people had issues with GRUB install part, if you are sceptic, just make sure you know how to install GRUB manually).
Thanks. Can I just cut-paste VBox from C to D? Will it move the Mint inside it too?
rbanavara

Post by rbanavara »

By "cut-paste VBox", do you mean entire VBox application? In that case no. There will be some location where your virtual machine files are stored. You need to find that location & move only thise files. As long you wont touch the VBox binaries (under the program files) & virtual machine files are intact some where, you can play around with the location.
dnmint

Post by dnmint »

rbanavara wrote:By "cut-paste VBox", do you mean entire VBox application? In that case no. There will be some location where your virtual machine files are stored. You need to find that location & move only thise files. As long you wont touch the VBox binaries (under the program files) & virtual machine files are intact some where, you can play around with the location.
How do I search for these? These do not show up in Win Explorer?
rbanavara

Post by rbanavara »

They do show up in explorer. They have an extension .vmdk You need to move this wherever you need and you have to correct the location of this file in the harddisk configuration of your virtual machine (In the virtual disk manager).

Not sure if the images in the following link helps..:

http://www.grid-appliance.org/index.php ... &Itemid=76
dnmint

Post by dnmint »

I think I have experimented ok in VBox installation of Mint in my laptop. Bulk of the things are working well. Next week, as I reach home, I will install Mint on my Desktop as a Dualboot installation ( C with XP, D with Mint, E for all files)
I have Mint CD, so will try .
Wish me luck :)
rbanavara

Post by rbanavara »

all the best DN mint...!

If you run into any issues..., we are here to assist!

Return to “Beginner Questions”