you are permanently banned from this website!

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jahid

you are permanently banned from this website!

Post by jahid »

I am from Bangladesh. there are several ISP's in my country. among them i use "Robi", "Grameen Phone", "teletalk", "Banglalion" for network connection.
among these whenever i am connected through Robi (mobile broad band) the follwing message is shown when i want to open this forum:
You are permanently banned from this site
reason for ban: spam
a ban is issued on your ip address
when in "Teletalk" this is frequent i.e after some time the ban seems like withdrawn.

when i use "Banglalion" then no problem occurs. # Banglalion Wimax 4G connection
when i use "Grameen Phone" then no problem occurs too. # mobile broadband 3G connection
when i am behind a proxy then no problem too.

So it is evident that it is related to my ISP. but why is this happening only in this website alone? can this be fixed in this website somehow to avoid this type of inconvenience?

can anyone explain it to me a little....

N.B: there is no problem with community website....
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: you are permanently banned from this website!

Post by AlbertP »

Please contact the forum staff using one of the e-mail addresses found on http://www.linuxmint.com/contactus.php.

Many ISPs do not assign fixed IP addresses to their customers, but have a pool of IP addresses shared between all of the ISP's customers. In your case, another customer of the same ISP probably posted spam on the forum, therefore the public IP address he/she had at that time, was added to the blacklist. When you, as a customer of the same ISP, get assigned that IP address by accident you will see a ban page too.
It is not unlikely that the spammer re-tried posting spam by the time his IP had changed, resulting in more and more IP addresses from your provider's pool needing to be blacklisted.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
patrice4419

Post by patrice4419 »

Yes it seems a spammer problem. I also had some problem with being booted off the Mint Forum. Message was that my IP address was banned indefinitely. Having scratched my head a few times as I had not had this problem before, I run Firefox with add-ons and Mint 17 Mate, I asked Administration -WHY? They said, IP address not banned! It turns out that search engine add-ons, especially those like AnonymoX, may be using proxies that have been banned and will trigger this message from Mint. It is not you who is banned but the proxy IP used. These IPs might have been used by spammers or for other rubbish stuff.
Thought to mention this just in case others have had the same problem. Just disable the extension/add-on and carry on.
In Firefox Open Menu select 'add-ons', select 'Extensions' and disable the add-on or add-ons. Simple (if you know it :lol: )
jahid

Post by jahid »

@patrice4419

can you be more specific about what addon/s i need to disable..

I have six addons:
downthemall
abduction
Mint search Enhancer
Reload Every
Stylish
Flash Video Downloader
patrice4419

Post by patrice4419 »

jahid

The add-on that was the problem - AnonymoX, apparently it uses proxies some of which may have been used by spammers (in the past) and were banned by many forums etc.
In fact all add-ons that use a proxy might have the same problem, I just know where to look now if it happens again.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

I do not see suspicious add-ons there. In that case I indeed think that some IP addresses from your ISP's pool are banned, probably because another user of the same ISP was spamming here.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

Return to “Other topics”