Thunderbird asking for update: how to disable it

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
filozofio
Level 2
Level 2

Thunderbird asking for update: how to disable it

Post by filozofio »

My thunderbird is asking for an update, and "highly" recommending it...

When I give it the order to update, it does not, probably because it should be done as root.

I have seen in the prefs. file of thunderbird (/opt/thunderbird/pref etc)., that thunderbird is set to "release", while firefox is set to "default".

Does it means that the LMDE team thinks that thunderbird should be update periodically (I could do it manually), or it is just a little inconsistency, and the recommendation would be to wait for the official update package?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Thunderbird asking for update

Post by Pierre »

is that with Tbird itself?.
- does that update, appear in the update manager, at all?.

probably best to update it, if available in update manager, anyway.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
filozofio
Level 2
Level 2

Post by filozofio »

No, no, the update is only announced by thunderbird. It is something that this application is announcing, because there is a new version at the mozilla webpage. And it is not working, because i do not start thunderbird as superuser.

There is nothing in the update manager. But the application is able to announce its own actualization because it is set to update to the new release in /opt/thunderbird/default/pref/, while firefox is not.

The question is if this behavious of thunderbird is intended by the LMDE team, because, although it is not in the repositories, the application is able to announce new versions.

Of course, the update could be done only if i do something like starting thunderbird as root, or dowloading the package manually from the mozilla webpage.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Search on the forum. This question has been answered hundred of times...

I give you a clue: at least one person asks this every 6 weeks :wink:

Edit: Since I'm a good guy, I give you the last post about this: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 0&t=166347
You can still search for all the others :lol:
nomko

Post by nomko »

are updates Thunderbird not offered through the update manager? I find it weird that Thunderbird itself is offering updates and recommend to run the upgrade...
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Come on! not you!

You know that this advice feature is only for windows but it's not disable in Linux... Come on :lol:
nomko

Post by nomko »

killer de bug wrote:Come on! not you!

You know that this advice feature is only for windows but it's not disable in Linux... Come on :lol:
:?: :?: :?: :?:
filozofio
Level 2
Level 2

Post by filozofio »

I think the question asked in other places is different than mine...

The update notification could also easily be disabled for linux... If you go here and open this file:

Code: Select all

/opt/thunderbird/default/pref/channel-prefs.js
you can disable it writing 'default' instead of 'release'.

But it is not disabled, as it is for firefox. That is why I ask.

By the way, the update option should work for linux too, and for LMDE, at least seems to work for some people. You can read this carefully:

http://hawknotes.blogspot.com.es/2013/0 ... -lmde.html

According to this, is not an Windows only option. It can be done easily in LMDE. But of course, to make it work, you have to be root or change the permissions for your user.

Sorry, I don't find this question answered in the forums. They ask why they cannot do the update, which is not my question.

My question is why the update request is not disabled in thunderbird as it is in firefox, in a very similar file (opt/firefox/default/pref/...)
filozofio
Level 2
Level 2

Post by filozofio »

The official LMDE update just came in now...

This answers my question, because it means that probably it was not intended, that the thunderbird application asked for updates on its own. They are possible, but it seems that it is better to wait. Therefore, to avoid thunderbird asking for updates on its own, you can just do this:

sudo gedit /opt/thunderbird/defaults/pref/channel-prefs.js
and write "default" instead of "release".
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Thunderbird asking for update: how to disable it

Post by GeneBenson »

Or simply in TBird: Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Update and disable "Automatically check for updates to: Thunderbird". :wink:
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

filozofio wrote:Therefore, to avoid thunderbird asking for updates on its own, you can just do this:

sudo gedit /opt/thunderbird/defaults/pref/channel-prefs.js
and write "default" instead of "release".
Thanks for this solution - from now on it will be so in all versions of Thunderbird in LMDE, starting from 31.2.0. :)

Return to “LMDE Archive”