Linux Ideas

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Lemon3

Linux Ideas

Post by Lemon3 »

Look at other OS's, and see how Linux could stand out.

Example:
Ubuntu has had the search system and the app store many years before OSX did it. (OSX 10.10 is only catching on now regarding the search system).

What other ideas are great, like these. They may sound so simple but they make such a big difference.
Even apps, look at OSX 10.10, they still have not updated any of the default apps.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
EZ-man

Re: Linux Ideas

Post by EZ-man »

GUI navigation with less mouse clicks.
EZ-man

Post by EZ-man »

GUI navigation with lesser mouse clicks. And I believe the Cinnamon developers team already understands the importance of the issue.

Post by 1.618 »

Personally, I would rather have an O/S that isn't trying to be bleeding edge and coming packaged with stuff that hasn't been developed properly because management are too self absorbed to be patient... it should be simple and functional rather than trendy and full of glitches...

I would like to see mint focus on what it already has and keep that stable, not turn into a 'who's the best' competition :-)
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

Ubuntu has had the search system
ubuntu is linux :3
steanne

Post by steanne »

EZ-man wrote:GUI navigation with less mouse clicks.
you might want to try the ratpoison DE.

correction: it's a windows manager, not a full-fledged DE. there's a list of others with similar goals at the bottom of the ratpoison home page.

Post by 1.618 »

Actually i would like to see linux audio sorted out and made into one easy to use system, currently i have to faff about with pulseaudio jack and alsa which is just too much and puts a lot of people off using linux...why can't there just be one layer that does it all?
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

kurotsugi wrote:ubuntu is linux :3
Seeing recent Ubuntu developments, I wonder when they'll replace the kernel by their own one too. This will be the very last step.
niowluka

Post by niowluka »

Not an idea for Linux per se, but I wish more companies acknowledged it and started producing their software / drivers / etc native for Linux. It is better than it was 10 years ago, but still falling short of Win / Mac...
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

kurotsugi wrote:
Yes, you are right. But happily: Linux is NOT Ubuntu.
Just like: a cow is an animal, but an animal doesn't have to be a cow.
EZ-man

Post by EZ-man »

Sorry for being so unclear, when i wrote GUI navigation with less mouse clicks.
steanne wrote:

Thanks for the link Steanne, but Ratpoison is too harse for me. I like to operate my system with visual displays.

I meant by that the way to navigate the separate cinnamon setting windows:
for me it is impossible to walk through the windows by using of the keyboard only.
EZ-man

Post by EZ-man »

1) Better use of mouse tip notifications in program settings menu's.
1) Make these notifications less nerdy: give a good insight of the settings.

A bad example:
the Backup software deja dup, choosing the type of backup format (tar / bz /original file structure): as a user i can't make a proper decision based on the informaion on the screen.
scryan

Post by scryan »

DeMus wrote:
kurotsugi wrote:
Yes, you are right. But happily: Linux is NOT Ubuntu.
Just like: a cow is an animal, but an animal doesn't have to be a cow.
Ehhhh, yeah but if you want to get technical like that...

Nothing is this thread is a suggestion for the linux kernel. You guys are making a bunch of DE suggestions, and unity counts as much as any other DE.
EZ-man wrote:Sorry for being so unclear, when i wrote GUI navigation with less mouse clicks.
steanne wrote:

Thanks for the link Steanne, but Ratpoison is too harse for me. I like to operate my system with visual displays.

I meant by that the way to navigate the separate cinnamon setting windows:
for me it is impossible to walk through the windows by using of the keyboard only.
Not sure what your trying to do? Walk through the windows? Alt-tab? Or do you mean changing focus inside a single window like with just the tab button?
Most DE's offer the ability to make a TON of keyboard shortcuts. KDE in particular lets you assign shortcuts to almost everything including windows stuff... But not sure what your actually trying to do.

Return to “Open Chat”