ssd partitioning scheme

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
js3915

Re: ssd partitioning scheme

Post by js3915 »

mr_raider wrote:On a separate note can someone explain to me the fascination with separate boot partitions?

I just want to bang my head into the desk.. Looking deeper your right but i think there needs tobe some free space on efi or gpt for proper loading if im not mistaken course i could b :? .. but the actual /boot can state under root.. Im still learning GPT but always run into trouble if i dont allocate a small portion for the ef02((bios boot partition)) partition.

newer systems that support efi its probably better to have your system load that way versus the old MBR way...

Im always learning daily :)
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

GPT disks always leave enough space. As a matter of fact, if you create a GPT disk in Linux and try to boot it legacy (BIOS) style, the installer will force you to create an empty partition at the beginning of the disk with the bios_grub label. If you try to boot a GPT EFI style, the installer will demand an efi partition of at least 100MB which is sufficient for all your needs.

On ms-dos (MBR) disks, any newer partitioner (Vista, 7, 8.1, current versions of gparted and ubiquity) will leave at least 1MB at the start of teh disk for proper alignment on SSds. This will also give enough space for the grub boot code to reside in.

Initial revisions of btrfs did require separate /boot partition, but grub has been amended to directly boot btrfs partitions.

More on the flexibility of btrfs:

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthrea ... -s-upgrade!

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthrea ... -new-drive!
Janus12th

Post by Janus12th »

Why when i came to do fresh intsall wasnt btrfs an option ?

ext2 3 4 jfs and others all there but btrfs wasnt an option it wasnt even on the list
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

The mint live cd does not have the btrfs modules enbaled by default. Open a terminal and type

sudo apt install btrfs-tools
Janus12th

Post by Janus12th »

Thanks mr_raider

it was mentioned earlier sorry information overload

Thanks
js3915

Post by js3915 »

Janus12th wrote:Thanks
Let us know how it works out!
Janus12th

Post by Janus12th »

It worked Fine seems no different than ext4 although i wouldnt expect to see a difference

i did
/ 20gig
/var 10 gig
/home rest of disk

i understand /var doesn't need to be split but i had already done it by the time i realized but it works fine - lm17 seems a bit buggy but im sure they will work that out

Thanks
js3915

Post by js3915 »

Janus12th wrote:It worked Fine seems no different than ext4 although i wouldnt expect to see a difference
I think mint is on 3.13 kernel not sure but I know Kernel 3.13, 3.14, 3.15 btrfs has gotten alot of love and improvements and speed enhancements 3.16 is supposed tobe another good boost to btrfs which should be out in a couple months. On my arch box btrfs feels snappier than ext4 on the 3.15 kernel

Glad it worked! :)
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

Janus12th wrote:It worked Fine seems no different than ext4 although i wouldnt expect to see a difference

i did
/ 20gig
/var 10 gig
/home rest of disk

i understand /var doesn't need to be split but i had already done it by the time i realized but it works fine - lm17 seems a bit buggy but im sure they will work that out

Thanks
By doing / and /home separate, you loose the main advantage of having two subvolumes share the same physical space.

However, btrfs has the ability to do snapshots, so if you every upgrade Mint and dont like it, you can revert
Janus12th

Post by Janus12th »

Thanks

So mr_raider are you just saying install btrfs across the whole disk and dont split them as i thought btrfs would split them anyway

i would have no idea how to do snapshots still trying to get my head around the basics in linux

Thanks
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

So mr_raider are you just saying install btrfs across the whole disk and dont split them as i thought btrfs would split them anyway

i would have no idea how to do snapshots still trying to get my head around the basics in linux

Thanks
By default btrfs creates a subvolume for home and root. Not separate partitions. Subvolume are containers within the same partition. However they use the same physical space. You get the benefits of isolation, with full access to all the space:

http://www.funtoo.org/BTRFS_Fun#Playing ... _snapshots
Janus12th

Post by Janus12th »

Thanks

So when i come to set up the trim option if i do trim / will this also take care of the /home or do i need to do that aswell as its a subvolume ?
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

So when i come to set up the trim option if i do trim / will this also take care of the /home or do i need to do that aswell as its a subvolume ?
Yes. If you have a single / partition, fstrim / will trim all subvolumes. If you did your partitioning scheme above, you have to trim /, /home and /var sperately.
Janus12th

Post by Janus12th »

Update

01st Sept 2014

I Bought a new computer - i7 - Z97
Tried to install btrfs and although the installation went fine and it asked me to restart - nothing happened, i got post and then just a black screen with a cursor and someone said its because btrfs is still in its infancy

i then tried ext 4 - splitting the drive into /boot /biosgrub /boot/efi / & /home this wouldnt even install kept giving me errors abot vfat format even though all partitions were ext4

then tried ext4 across the whole drive without partitions and got an error about boot efi partition

things in bios i have done - changed boot options from window efi to other Os and in cm i have told the drive use legacy

although im told to disable secure boot i cannot find any options in mb to do this - greyed out and cannot alter

what else do i have to do to get lm17 on this mother board

moved to new post as this was a partition help page please see link and respond there - http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=177293

Return to “Beginner Questions”