Commodore OS Vision

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
elchucko

Commodore OS Vision

Post by elchucko »

I have commodore OS Vision on my PC (MS version) and would like to install the Linux OS version on my Linux Mint14. I'm not an "expert" by any means on Linux Mint. How can I load the COS on my PC?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Commodore OS Vision

Post by xenopeek »

The last release of COS was on July 3rd, 2012. The operating system never came out of beta phase and is now defunct and discontinued. Why would you want to use this? If you must have it, please install it in VirtualBox or similar and do not use it for anything serious like online banking.

Seeing as you're also still using Linux Mint 14, I recommend you install Linux Mint 17 instead. Linux Mint 14 has reached end of support in April, meaning since april you no longer get security fixes for known security issues. Especially your web browser is becoming more and more insecure to use on the Internet as time goes by and you don't get security fixes for it. I wouldn't use this computer for anything serious right now, like online banking. Don't take such risks.
elchucko

Post by elchucko »

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I wanted the COS installed to "play around" with it's video and audio features. How do I install it in a virtualbox? Secondly, how do I upgrade from Mint 14 to 17? Thank you
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

To upgrade from Linux Mint 14 to 17 you would do a clean install of Linux Mint 17. You can follow this guide: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2. If this computer only has Linux Mint 14 installed, you can follow that. If you have multiple operating systems installed, for example Linux Mint 14 and Windows, it is a bit more difficult.

To try COS in virtualbox just install VirtualBox. The best way (unfortunately) that I know to do that, so you get all packages you need is to install it from the terminal with this command:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get --install-recommends install virtualbox
After installation start it, create a new virtual machine and answer the questions:
- give it a name and set type to Linux
- allocate at least 1 GB memory to the virtual machine
- if you want to install COS and not just run it live also create a virtual hard disk
- done, it's now created
- before you run, if you want it to have Internet access go into settings and change network from attached to NAT to attached to Bridged Network
- you can now run the virtual machine and it will ask you what to boot, browse to the ISO you downloaded of COS
elchucko

Post by elchucko »

OK, I installed VirtualBox and have Commodore OS Vision ISO downloaded. I assume I need a Torrent to unpack and then load to VB? Where is the extension .vdi used? What is it?
elchucko

Post by elchucko »

I installed VBox. I downloaded a Commodore OS vdi file. I can open the file in VB and it allows me to select the OS or memory tests. When I select the commodore os VB runs to a black screen displaying a cursor in the upper left of the screen. that's it. I can run the memory test. Ideas? Thank you

Return to “Open Chat”