Best music player?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dweebix

Best music player?

Post by Dweebix »

What is a good music player that will load music real quick? I tried Banshee but I have a music list of 47,000+ songs and it's just taking way to long to load them all..

Is there anything better that will load them quick?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
killer de bug

Re: Best music player?

Post by killer de bug »

I don't know if it's faster but you can try Rythmbox...
chakko

Post by chakko »

Clementine is my favourite player. If you have a large music library though, you could try gmusicbrowser. It's supposed to work with large libraries.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

foobar with 'wine'.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
jahid

Post by jahid »

clementine....
H.Remedy

Post by H.Remedy »

If you only want a music player (as opposed to a music library manager), I just discovered an app called Audacious. It's extremely basic and might help you. Don't know how it would handle that many songs, though.
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

Just saw this thread. My vote goes to gmusicbrowser - very fast and supports bit-perfect audio with ALSA.

See also here and for a bit-perfect gmusicbrowser configuration http://www.head-fi.org/t/561961/bit-per ... st_7596563.
Subjects of interest: Linux, vfio passthrough virtualization, photography
See my blog on virtualization, including tutorials: https://www.heiko-sieger.info/category/ ... alization/
krow7
Level 3
Level 3

Post by krow7 »

Definitely Clementine. IMHO
Has a lot of features: can connect to various cloud services (google disk, skydrive, dropbox, etc), good choice of radio stations, has inbuilt converter for audio files, good music library support, and more. Love it! :)
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

krow7 wrote:Definitely Clementine. IMHO
Has a lot of features: can connect to various cloud services (google disk, skydrive, dropbox, etc), good choice of radio stations, has inbuilt converter for audio files, good music library support, and more. Love it! :)
It seems that Clementine also supports bit-perfect output. See http://www.metalguitarist.org/forum/com ... hiles.html on how to set it up.

I can't speak for or against Clementine as I've never used it, but my recommendation on Gmusicbrowser is based on:

1. Supports bit-perfect output through ALSA - this is the most important thing to me as I can't suffer pulseaudio resampling my music, which impairs the sound quality.

2. Fast - I have only ~7,000 titles but Gmusicbrowser opens up nearly instantly, even though it scans for deleted/updated/new titles automatically on startup (it's configurable). It's supposed to work well with large libraries.

3. Configurable - you can choose from a variety of layouts, and add or remove windows/views. Also, it supports various plugins (last.fm is one of them) and desktop widgets. It also supports my multimedia keys on my keyboard, which is convenient.

4. Filters / search functions.

5. Album art, info, and lyrics. Gmusicbrowser can automatically retrieve the album art/cover and the lyrics (with optional auto-scroll and a button to save the lyrics locally). If you fancy, you can run the Karaoke plugin and sing along your favorite songs.
Subjects of interest: Linux, vfio passthrough virtualization, photography
See my blog on virtualization, including tutorials: https://www.heiko-sieger.info/category/ ... alization/
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Ultimate Player or Clementine.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
hagensieker

Post by hagensieker »

Another vote for Clementine. Use it bit perfect, handles huge libraries well. Wish they'd give some more options to the Spotify plugin but it's adequate.

Check out DeadBeef. Some say it sounds better than Clementine but I don't like the interface very well.

Oh and Clementine has a remote app for Android and IOS. And it's a very good app.
nomko

Post by nomko »

And what about adacious?
Dyfi

Post by Dyfi »

Deadbeef Standalone - no install required
allypink

Post by allypink »

krow7 wrote:Definitely Clementine. IMHO
Big DITTO!

Return to “Software & Applications”