Cannot mount MTP from an Android device

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
austerus

Cannot mount MTP from an Android device

Post by austerus »

Hello,

I am trying to access the internal memory of my Galaxy Note 3, however when I plug in the device via USB and the device appears in the file manager, when I click it I get this message:

"Failed to mount "SAMSUNG Android".
Unable to open MTP device '[usb:003,007]'.

No such interface 'org.gtk.vfs.Mount' on object at path /org/gtk/vfs/mount/1."

I found an article saying that MTP support is built-in Linux Mint nowadays, yet I am unable to access my device.

Can somebody please help?

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
crossroads

Re: Cannot mount MTP from an Android device

Post by crossroads »

Recently had a similar problem with my Motorola flip top phone. In my case is was a case of my phone, which uses a Mediatek chipset, not reading as a media device. I installed modeswitch and changed the line for Disablesettings to = 1. No sure his would help you.

However, here is an interesting link that might help. http://www.webupd8.org/2012/12/how-to-m ... mtpfs.html

Use caution. The author writes
I've found out about Go-mtpfs from Bilal's blog and I figured it's a bit complicated for regular users to compile it so I've packaged Go-mtpfs and uploaded it to the WebUpd8 Unstable PPA. Along with Go-mtpfs, I've also packed a custom Unity launcher and a script, to be able to easily mount and unmount your Android device without having to use the command line.
Good luck!
JonathanHarford

Post by JonathanHarford »

Any luck? I'm having the same issue. What's weird is that I can mount my phone fine on my work computer, which also runs Linux Mint 17 x64.
lopadops

Post by lopadops »

has anyone found a fix for this yet? cant mount my samsung galaxy s4, alway worked by installing exfat on previous distro's...what happened?
using Mint 17, seems this is common to ALL versions of 14.04
"Failed to mount "SAMSUNG Android".
Unable to open MTP device '[usb:003,007]'.
help, someone....pleaseee

only choice i had was either go back to an older, un supported distro...or...the unthinkable...w**do*s 7!!!

sticking with Mint 17, but gonna install Ultimate 3.8 on other HDD, i know it works on that even though its now unsupported, just cant bring myself to give Bill Gates rubbish disc space!!!

update, installed Ultimate 3.8..no drivers available!!! downloaded nvidia .bin file, after hours of trying ( tells me that xserver is running? its lightdm???) cant install no way! The basic driver is useless, the display just goes haywire.
so, tried ubuntu and mint from 11.04 ubuntu upwards and mint 13 upwards, still no joy!
well, never thought i would need to ever again, but i installed goddam win*ows 7!!! and guess what? it works fine...
Just WHAT is LInux doing? Android is a Linux system but its unusable on a Linux distro???? This is so stupid, i find this hard to comprehend!!!!
nonferrousbueller
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nonferrousbueller »

lopadops wrote: Just WHAT is LInux doing? Android is a Linux system but its unusable on a Linux distro???? This is so stupid, i find this hard to comprehend!!!!
I have nothing to add except that I'm two and a half hours into sorting this myself with nothing to show for it. Maddening!
averysphere

Post by averysphere »

lopadops wrote: Just WHAT is LInux doing? Android is a Linux system but its unusable on a Linux distro???? This is so stupid, i find this hard to comprehend!!!!
It works out of the box on Linux Mint 17.0. I tried it myself and also encountered the problem of the OP. I found out, when you plug in your device and it is on locked mode, it could not be properly detected. Make sure that your phone is unlock and then plug it in your USB port. It will be detected as it should. I tested this on a Samsung Galaxy Note 3.
solomage

Post by solomage »

Had this problem Connecting my HTC One to my laptop over the weekend (Mint 17 'Qiana' Cinnamon 64-bit),
turns out I needed to

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install mtp-tools
I thought it should work out of the box, but this seemed to make the difference for me.
kcpoole

Post by kcpoole »

Any work on this one?
Mint 17 and Samsung s4 mini and will not mount whatever i try :-(
only tryiung to get photos off.

the phone mounts sometimes, but when I try to open the DCIM folder on the phone it just times out.

Ken
solomage

Post by solomage »

kcpoole wrote:Any work on this one?
Mint 17 and Samsung s4 mini and will not mount whatever i try :-(
only tryiung to get photos off.

the phone mounts sometimes, but when I try to open the DCIM folder on the phone it just times out.

Ken
Hi Ken,

It sounds like you're having a different problem to these guys, If you can open and navigate to DCIM but get no further then maybe there's something else going on in your case?

Most of the time I get things onto and off my phone using either the 'ES File Explorer' App, or 'AirDroid'.
Both of these seem to work for me.

Also, with MTP you can only have one ongoing transaction at a time (one read, one write etc.) Are you able to transfer a large individual files like a large video at all? I think things will hang if you try to do stuff in parallel.

Thanks.
nonferrousbueller
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nonferrousbueller »

Still having troubles with this. Have installed mtp-tools. Can browse all folders on phone (as averysphere noted, phone can't be in locked mode when USB cable is attached) but can't even view image files - Nemo gives me the error "could not load image "image name". Failed to open input stream for file". Tried pcmanfm instead of Nemo with same results.

Be aware a complicating factor is that as of KitKat, Google has taken away the ability of non-Google apps to write to the SD card. So if you've been using, say, Airdroid to place files on your SD card, that will no longer work.

Currently, the only way I have to place files on the SD card is to physically remove the SD card and put it in my PC's card reader. Unless I use Win7, in which case USB works perfectly.

Samsung s4 Mini, Kitkat
Mint17
XE1UFO
Level 1
Level 1

Post by XE1UFO »

I certainly appreciate all the people who have tried to help the rest of us, and am happy to see many have had success. I have done everything on here and have not had success. Linux Mint 17, 64-bit, Samsung Galaxy Note 3.
JonathanHarford

This problem (I'm post #3, above) solved itself soon after with an update, but now it's back!
Aristotelian

Post by Aristotelian »

If anyone is still struggling, in my experience the best way to do file transfer is using a web browser on the Linux machine and the Airdroid app on the phone.
JonathanHarford

AirDroid doesn't work so great with large files, I'm sorry to say. Or at least the free version doesn't.
Aristotelian

Post by Aristotelian »

Another possibility currently working for me in XUbuntu 14.04: Install Nautilus as your file manager. Works with my Android phone. Sorry I didn't think of that earlier.
rohnn

Post by rohnn »

I know I am late, but have had the same problem, and I believe that this can help. (It did for me ! problem solver)
http://askubuntu.com/questions/529477/1 ... ce-via-usb

Basically :
Conflict between Banshee and file manager, both trying to access device & closing Banshee solved it

May be some other soft do have same conflicts, my prob was Banshee !
Aristotelian

Post by Aristotelian »

rohnn wrote:I know I am late, but have had the same problem, and I believe that this can help. (It did for me ! problem solver)

Basically :
Conflict between Banshee and file manager, both trying to access device & closing Banshee solved it

Thanks! I was having trouble connecting to my media PC and this did the trick! Of Banshee is my default music app and it is running almost all the time.
plAsirius

Post by plAsirius »

Aristotelian wrote:
rohnn wrote:I know I am late, but have had the same problem, and I believe that this can help. (It did for me ! problem solver)

Basically :

Thanks !!! That was it for me as well; couldn't understand why sometimes it worked sometimes not... was about to through the Nexus 5 out of the windows :?
djwesttexas

Post by djwesttexas »

I have had problems connecting my galaxy s5 to my linux mint 17.1 similar to the ones described in this post. I had turned on usb debugging mode. Turned on usb 3.0 mode and couldn't mount the SAMSUNG Android partition in my thunar folder application. However, when the usb 3.0 timed out and went to usb 2.0, it mounted itself. I was able to copy files to and from the sdcard just fine after that. I then unmounted the phone, disconnected and reconnected it and (without turning on usb 3.0 mode this time) it worked just fine. The only thing I noticed is that when I first connect the phone, the Verizon Phone partition shows up in my file manager on the computer, then, after a slight delay, the SAMSUNG Android partition is automatically mounted. Hope this helps.
markyd

Post by markyd »

I too have been having issues, with Linux Mint 17.1 XFXE and my note 3, in the past I have always bragged to my IOS friends about how easy it is to get things off Android phones .... until now.

I could get to the photos folder but then it would hang .... it was still hanging when I installed the mtp-tools as described above and "kpow" all the photos appeared.

Takes a long time to populate the folder but there again, my 16GB card is full. .... I now have access at last, many thanks!

Return to “Hardware Support”