Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
dupek
Level 1
Level 1

add debian packages

Post by dupek » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:11 am

I try to add Debian to repository list, but the synaptic is complaining all time and shuts down. Can not even go back end correct it. Have to log in as root and fix it. I saw Debian packages in Synaptic, why I can not add debian repository?. I was trying to add to additional. The line is deb http.us.debian.org/debian or should I add the deb ftp.us.debian.org/debian. What I am doing wrong?.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: add debian packages

Post by xenopeek » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:30 am

I can't tell if you're being serious or not. Anyway, no Linux Mint isn't compatible with Debian repositories. The lines you tried aren't correct, but even if you had used the correct lines the end result would have been a broken installation. Please undo what you did.

dupek
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dupek » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:18 pm

Did you ever heard about the gdebi or alien?. Yes, you can install debian package on ubuntu system. All what I did is ask a simple question and getting preaching instead. Thanks. I was looking at both lists and they are indentical, but for some reasom the synaptic will not work with. Are debian packages forbidden in Mint. Looking at list package manager, you can see some with debian symbol.

Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:37 pm

''What I am doing wrong?'' Mixing packages from different repositories using the automatic tools.

''Are debian packages forbidden in Mint?'' Not really, Mint uses the Debian Package Management system, but underneath they are just zipped binaries and data. If you take control of the repository list, you have control. Goodbye automated Update Manager, hello DLL Hell.
Last edited by Mute Ant on Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".

gtsfer
Level 7
Level 7

Post by gtsfer » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:44 pm

dupek wrote:Did you ever heard about the gdebi or alien?. Yes, you can install debian package on ubuntu system.
Yes, you can download a DEB file and install it. But Xenopeek's point is that the main editions are not meant for Debian repositories. Just because he's being brief and concise doesn't necessarily mean he's being, well... mean. :lol: He probably answers 200 posts a day so he's a "to the point" kinda guy. I think he was asking you to undo that first so things won't break beyond repair.

Then we can ask what you're really trying to add and see if you can get it the right way for your edition of LM.
"There is no gravity, the earth sucks." - Issac Newton @ 75
KDE & Cinnamon 18.1 & Win 10 - ASUS M5A99FX PRO MB, AMD FX-8370 Octo-Core CPU, 16GB RAM, AMD Radeon R7 240

dupek
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dupek » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:30 pm

Trying to get iceveasel and systemback. MX got the system back up that create iso file. Just boot from iso and restore. Works very good. Some other software not available in ubuntu. I did, is past, download the deb and installed. I have debian installed(Kali) and let me add ubuntu repository and download packages from there. If add debian repository to mint, I do not have to install it, just download and test with gdebi.Just because some of us are running Mint, that does not meant that we are all dumm - after all, it is my computer that I am messing with. I could "hunt" the require software and compile, but, I guess, that I am getting lazy. Adding repository will help me find it. Since, I reformated mu hdd with MBR, I will try again install the debian version of mint.Thanks. I like Mint, but some of you worry too much about breaking the program. Is just a program.

dupek
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dupek » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:16 pm

I did not meant to sound mean, but Mint it is great distro and hurt to see waste the potential to become bigger that windows. I started "messing" with computers whem IC`s were is sockets ( yes, I am old fart), and trough the years, I saw raise and fall of great OS because they wanted to stick with their own software only. Need to get "out of the box" and make available software from other distros. There is thousands of software, that are not known to Mint-Ubuntu users. Incorporating package converters and depositories from other distros will make the Mint #1, not only in Linux world, but outside too. I understand that project like this will require a lot of work. You got great software, just make it better. I am glad that you are (Mint team) getting away from ubuntu. After reformatting my hdd to MBR, I was able to install Debian Mint. Works great. Do not stop to be Mint-Debian only. Be the king of all.

Return to “Software & Applications”