Elyssa didn't wake after Suspend - Again! (Edited)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Elyssa didn't wake after Suspend - Again! (Edited)

Post by T J Tulley »

Edit: New paragraph below; also "Sleep" corrected to "Suspend"

Having apparently twice successfully used Hibernate (in spite of the reports that it had failed) I decided this evening to use Suspend (from the Quit screen) while I ate my dinner. It said it would wake at the touch of a key. No luck - many keys, including Ctrl+Alt+Del.

So I had to Reset - it performed a normal boot; Firefox offered to resume its session, and all is well.

Originally I had many failures to boot, until I accidentally discovered that it boots happily if I wait for Grub to time itself out on the default system offered - previously I have normally pressed Enter, and with systems up to Daryna this gave no problems - well, Daryna would sometimes go into Busybox.

Are there bugs responsible for these behaviours?

I repeated the above after installing the package for the Hibernate command with its manual. The manual refers frequently to Suspend, so it appeared to be likely that it would also apply to this facility - no luck.
(See also topic "Elyssa hibernation: More progress!)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.
Using a PC with 2GB RAM, 3 hdds and a 1.7 GHz Celeron cpu.
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Elyssa didn't wake after Sleep!

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

I have issues with daryna on my new thinkpad - old thinkpad and celena no issues. it is a machine issue and possibly OS issue too. Or a combination thereof. So I do not use these choices at all - either let it run or shut it down.

That is how I live with it. :)
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

Hibernate and sleep are still new in Linux and somewhat buggy. It could very well be related to your graphics driver, what graphics card are you using?
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

Image :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Post by T J Tulley »

Thanks MagnusB - I have an ASRock P4i65G motherboard - the graphics card is dusty and I can't read its identification but the motherboard specification says: - Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics 2 - DirectX 8.0 VGA - Max. shared memory 96 MB

Daryna I think, or certainly Celena, used to give a list of all hardware but I don't see this in Elyssa. In Windows that can be seen using a program called Everest but I doubt if it runs with Linux.

The odd thing is that Hibernate appears to be effective, in spite of regular reports that it didn't! I set it to hibernate last night - that time it gave again the text screen reported at the beginning of my earlier post [Elyssa hibernation failure: 29/6/08], its lights went out after I had pressed a key, and I switch off. Today when I switched on, after booting it announced "Recovering from hibernate" or words to that effect - pale blue screen. It gave my username and invited my password - after that it showed the small box over the system tray saying that it had failed to hibernate - as it has done every time before.

I have just edited that post and headed it as a bug report. I see that editing still leaves it low in the list, so I will reply to "bump" it - as advised by Clem.
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

Use lspci in a terminal window to determine the hardware or PCI cards :)
--Dean Martin
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Post by T J Tulley »

Thanks again MagnusB - this has waited overnight as a draft.

~$ lspci gives "00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)"
but doesn't give components plugged in - so it doesn't show the graphics card. The hardware display used to show all my hard discs with their type numbers, printer, et c.

I shall have to hibernate again, switch off and clean the card so that I can see its type.

After hibernation: (apparently successful in every way, except for report that "Hibernation failed"!) -
Careful examination of my PC reveals that there is no separate graphics card - it is incorporated in the ASRock P4i65G motherboard (as I suspected). What I thought was a graphics card is in fact the card carrying the (unused) printer port - the printer is on USB.

I had hoped that there might be a Linux version of Everest, but the Lavalys website reveals that the latest edition (March 2008 still requires Windows.
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

lshw does the same thing, but I guessed you had a PCI graphic card...
--Dean Martin
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Elyssa didn't wake after Suspend - Again! (Edited)

Post by T J Tulley »

Bump!
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.

Return to “Beginner Questions”