How do I update pidgin?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fudda

How do I update pidgin?

Post by fudda »

Hi all,

ICQ protokoll had an update and now pidgin wont connect to it anymore. This has been fixed with the latest release 2.4.3 but I have absolutely no idea of how to install this under Mint.

EDIT:

took the source. tried to compile. needed to install about 1000000 development headers. done that. compiled.

now what? :|
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: How do I update pidgin?

Post by proxima_centauri »

An easier way would to go to MintMenu and click on "Software Portal"
Search for Pidgin. Click on Pidgin and click Install Now.
You can also search the removed website and get it that way too.

As a point of reference, when you install software from source you open or navigate to the folder in terminal.
To install all you do in terminal (as root) is
./configure
make
make install

Cheers.
rhvkl

Re: How do I update pidgin? 2.4.3 ICQ fix

Post by rhvkl »

1. Ok tried the source .... to many files missing
2. tried the software portal ... old version - icq isn't able to connect
3. removed/release/2883 ... followed the removed instruction: removed the three packages in apt-get and installed
3.1 pidgin-data_2.4.3-1~removed1_all
3.2 libpurple0_2.4.3-1~removed1_i386
3.3 pidgin_2.4.3-1~removed1_i386 (Hardy 32bit)

.... works now in version 2.4.3, thanks for the removed-site reminder, proxima_centauri, sometimes I forget that this exists :)
fudda

Re: How do I update pidgin?

Post by fudda »

removed thing didnt work for me, refused ti install some packages.

So I compiled again (installed all the missing headers) and make install did part of the job... it was there but wouldnt run. So I reinstalled the packages from the manager. libpurple and pidgin.dev

doubleclicked icon, pidgin started up. checked version ---> 2.4.3 FINALLY!

reactivated ICQ account and now Im happy.

Still installing software is still a big problem for convincing Windows users to switch to Linux, as its a pain in the butt for beginners. :/

Getting used to all this Linux stuff. Even playing games on wine works quite well... but still. Its close to perfect, but not yet there.

Return to “Software & Applications”