Odd...there are 2 Kernels in GRUB.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
steve9199

Odd...there are 2 Kernels in GRUB.

Post by steve9199 »

For some strange reason, when I booted up today I saw not one but 2 Linux Mint kernels in GRUB, along with my XP partition.

Linux Mint Kernel 2.6.24.19-rt and

Linux Mint Kernel 2.6.24-16-generic

What have I done?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: Odd...there are 2 Kernels in GRUB.

Post by proxima_centauri »

You probably did an update through synaptic and got a newer kernel. If the new one seems to be working fine then you're probably alright.

If you want to remove the old one you can go to Terminal ->
sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

and remove the relevant lines for the old kernel.

should look something like

title Linux Mint, kernel 2.6.24-16-generic
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-19-generic root=/dev/sda1 ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-19-generic

Post back if you need any additional advice.
steve9199

Post by steve9199 »

proxima_centauri wrote:You probably did an update through synaptic and got a newer kernel. If the new one seems to be working fine then you're probably alright.

If you want to remove the old one you can go to Terminal ->
sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

and remove the relevant lines for the old kernel.

should look something like

title Linux Mint, kernel 2.6.24-16-generic
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-19-generic root=/dev/sda1 ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-19-generic

Post back if you need any additional advice.

Thank you for the walkthrough. Second Linux Kernel no longer listed in GRUB, and all seems to be working fine.

A small observation....it looks to me like a person could REALLY mess up their operating system using GEDIT. Thankfully there are more than a few "Gurus" out there to help a NooB like me get tihngs sorted out. In case nobody's ever said it, I appreciate you.

Steve
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

If everything works well and if not already done so, you can uninstall the old kernel with Synaptic (make sure to uninstall all packages related to the old kernel...)
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
steve9199

Post by steve9199 »

linuxviolin wrote:If everything works well and if not already done so, you can uninstall the old kernel with Synaptic (make sure to uninstall all packages related to the old kernel...)
I'm not sure how to go about that. I only downloaded a music recorder package using Synaptic and the files associated with it. Guess that's how I wound up updating my Kernel.

If you have a walkthrough, it would be appreciated.

Thanks...Steve
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Open Synaptic and search for 'kernel 2.6.24-16-generic' or just 'kernel' for example and remove all packages related to your old kernel. But just a hint: the old kernel can serve as a relief to start your system if one day you have any problems with the 'new' kernel... You may want to keep it, including in your Grub, in case. It's up to you! :D
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
steve9199

Post by steve9199 »

linuxviolin wrote:Open Synaptic and search for 'kernel 2.6.24-16-generic' or just 'kernel' for example and remove all packages related to your old kernel. But just a hint: the old kernel can serve as a relief to start your system if one day you have any problems with the 'new' kernel... You may want to keep it, including in your Grub, in case. It's up to you! :D
Merci' Beaucoups....(spelling?)

If it's not going to do any harm, I'd just as soon leave it. No sense uninstalling something if it's not necessary. I've only been using the Mint half of my computer for a couple of months and there's still tons of room on tha partition.

I did remove it from the GRUB though...if anything goes wrong I can just use the recovery partiton of the new kernel, right?

.......if nothing else, I still have the disk for a clean install..LOL!

Thanks again- Steve
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

steve9199 wrote:I did remove it from the GRUB though...if anything goes wrong I can just use the recovery partiton of the new kernel, right?
Maybe yes maybe not... It is sometimes interesting to keep 2 kernels. Really sometimes we can be happy to have kept an older kernel.... :wink:

But personnally after a kernel update and several days of testing, if everything works well I remove the old kernel.

But it's me and again if you are unsure/unsecure (hmm my english... :lol: ) and if the old kernel worked well you may want to keep it, in case. Again it's up to you!

Return to “Installation & Boot”