Broadcom wifi drivers

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Phillip Midgley

Broadcom wifi drivers

Post by Phillip Midgley »

I have had so much trouble getting answers from Linux...one last opportunity is knocking before Linux gets black listed!!! I am looking for info on the installation of wifi drivers for Broadcom BCM4321. Will this Mint Sixteen installer do that for me or am I looking for another Microsoft answer? I am not going to try it until I have a confirmation!!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Broadcom wifi drivers

Post by JeremyB »

I would install mint 17 and use this as a guide
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2214110

I bet you could use the 14.04 column and have it work in mint 16

I have not seen many posts on the ubuntu forum that said the guide failed them
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Re: Broadcom wifi drivers

Post by JeremyB »

JeremyB wrote:I would install mint 17 and use this as a guide
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2214110
The 14.04 column is the one to use for Mint 17

I bet you could use the 14.04 column and have it work in mint 16

I have not seen many posts on the ubuntu forum that said the guide failed them
ClutchDisc

Post by ClutchDisc »

I'm not sure what you are even asking. Giving more detail is always best when you are looking for help. I'm guessing your WiFi isn't working? Have you tried looking in the driver manager to see if there are any drivers for your computer?
var
Level 3
Level 3

Post by var »

Your card is supported by recent Linux Kernels, my advice is try a LiveDVD using the latest Mint (Mint 17 Qiana), these drivers have been in Linux since around 2008/2009 in some distributions.

So give Mint 17 a try, it detected my Wifi without any problems and I also need proprietary drivers for it (Atheros).
Phillip Midgley

Post by Phillip Midgley »

Thanks for all the advice, however I asked about Mint sixteen not seventeen. And now someone can close out this membership and thread. I won't be back to a forum where no one can read a simple question and find a simple answer to a specific Driver. I have tried all of the top twelve distros and the same thing keeps happening....the installers can't find and install a driver in a machine that is more than a decade old. Further, I have noticed that most of these are very amateur in design and I operate a professional office here. One more thing, this Ubuntu is not accepted by my staff as they deem it to be full of ethnicity with the jungle drums and the African name. I don't think the guides you have recommended will be welcome either. Thanks anyways...bye bye!!!
FabioBeneditto
Level 1
Level 1

Post by FabioBeneditto »

Hi!

Searching for an old HP Mini 10:

Code: Select all

fabio.junior@fabio-pc:[~]$ apt-cache search broadcom | sort | grep broadcom
broadcom-sta-common - Arquivos comuns para o driver de rede sem fio Broadcom STA
broadcom-sta-dkms - dkms source for the Broadcom STA Wireless driver
broadcom-sta-source - Fonte para o driver de rede sem fio Broadcom STA
I've installed (with wired connection) after mintinstall the broadcom-sta-dkms. Wifi works fine.

Try it.
Phillip Midgley wrote:...I won't be back to a forum where no one can read a simple question and find a simple answer to a specific Driver. I have tried all of the top twelve distros and the same thing keeps happening....the installers can't find and install a driver in a machine that is more than a decade old.
No, it is not a "simple" answer. I'm search about an week to find the answer, because this hardware was designed for windows only.
:wq
Fabio Beneditto
"A hacker does for love what others would not do for money."
"A Vida é mais bela quando vista de cima de uma motocicleta.
"
Linux Mint 17.3 Mate (at Work) / XFCE (at Mobile / Home)
WinterTroubles

Post by WinterTroubles »

Phillip Midgley wrote:Thanks for all the advice, however I asked about Mint sixteen not seventeen.
Mint 16 runs out of support in 2 days and becomes obsolete.. Mint 17 is supported for 5 years.. Hence the best advice is to try Mint 17.
Phillip Midgley wrote:... I operate a professional office here. One more thing, this Ubuntu is not accepted by my staff as they deem it to be full of ethnicity with the jungle drums and the African name....Thanks anyways...bye bye!!!
A professional office that condones closet racism and unfounded cultural superiority... :shock:

Goodbye and I wish you well.
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

Sorry english is not my native language but is this correct?
" won't be back to a forum where no one can read a simple question and find a simple answer to a specific Driver" shouldn't it end with "question" :lol:
FabioBeneditto
Level 1
Level 1

Post by FabioBeneditto »

Hi!
PatH57 wrote:Sorry english is not my native language but is this correct?
" won't be back to a forum where no one can read a simple question and find a simple answer to a specific Driver" shouldn't it end with "question" :lol:
English is not my native language either, but this is an affirmation, not a question.
Or... This is rhetorical question :mrgreen:
:wq
Fabio Beneditto
"A hacker does for love what others would not do for money."
"A Vida é mais bela quando vista de cima de uma motocicleta.
"
Linux Mint 17.3 Mate (at Work) / XFCE (at Mobile / Home)
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

Looks like the asker is gone already, but for the record: in Mint 17 Cinnamon > System Settings > Device Drivers icon it will search for the Broadcom driver and carry out driver install. That worked on my Dell 1520 laptop after the Live USB installation failed to recognize wi-fi. It was in fact confusing. I never used Mint 16 Cinnamon on that laptop so don't know if it has that problem - but don't recall having any Broadcom recognition problem with Mint 16 XFCE, which I'm currently running on that PC's hard drive.

If asker comes back, he's welcome. May help others.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual boot LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook). Testing LM21.1 Cinnamon and XFCE Live for new Lenovo desktop.

Return to “Beginner Questions”