Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
johanna
Level 2
Level 2

update manager no longer working SOLVED

Post by johanna »

For the second time in one month my update manager on Mint Olivia 15 no longer works. A friend of mine managed to find a new 'server' and it worked for 2 sweeks.
But since today it tells me; ERROR###ERROR###ERROR###ERROR###ERROR###ERROR###ERROR
W:Failed to fetch http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists ... 6/Packages 404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.91.13 80]
, W:Failed to fetch http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists ... 6/Packages 404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.91.13 80]
, W:Failed to fetch http://www.lug.bu.edu/mirror/ubuntu/dis ... 6/Packages 404 Not Found
, W:Failed to fetch http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists ... security/u

My internet works fine.

How can I get it to work again. I am a senior user, am not all together green , but fairly new to Linux
Can anybody tell me in easy words how to put it back working?
Many thanks, Johanna :D
Last edited by johanna on Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: update manager no longer working

Post by xenopeek »

Looks like the configuration is fine. The problem is, I think, that Linux Mint 15 has reached end of life in January this year. It is unsupported for the past 6 months now, and likely you have encountered the moment that the servers from which software would be downloaded are being shut down. While you can continue to use Linux Mint 15, I would really recommend you don't as with each passing day especially your web browser becomes more insecure with not having been fixed for known security issues in so long. Don't use it for anything serious like online banking.

Recommend you install Linux Mint 17, or have your friend do that. Linux Mint 17 is supported till April 2019.

johanna
Level 2
Level 2

Post by johanna »

Thanks for that, I will look into that. Can I just replace MInt 15 Olivia with Mint 17 Cinnamon Qiana ? Or do I have to make a backup of all the files?
The friend who helped me left NZ and is now on his way back to Argentina :(
Oh dear I do online banking, now I am worried...
Anyway, thanks again , I will ask around .Regards,/ Groeten, Johanna

WinterTroubles
Level 6
Level 6

Post by WinterTroubles »

You should always backup your files before attempting an installation, as there is always a risk of something going wrong, albeit usually a small risk.

If you need assistance making the change from Mint 15 to Mint 17 it would probably be worth starting a new topic with as much relevant information as you know, or know how to get. Things like your hardware specs, which can be found via the

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz 
command in the terminal, as well as details such as do you dual boot, and if so what other OS, and maybe a screen shot taken showing your partition information using gparted (if you don't have gparted installed it should be present on the boot disk/usb of which ever version of Mint 17 you choose to download). If you are having difficulty finding any of the relevant information, don't worry, I'm sure someone hare can provide the relevant instruction for finding the information the need to assist.

As for online banking, if you download whichever version of Mint 17 you wish to replace your current set up with and prepare either a bootable DVD or USB from it, the instructions are in the documentation available via a link on the download page, you will be able to use the live test session for online banking etc while you are checking the details of how to best perform the install.

Hope this helps.
17.1Cinn/17.1Xfce

If solved please edit the subject line of your first post to include [Solved] so other users know there's a solution in the topic.

GNU Terry Pratchett

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

This discussion may help you -
"ways to upgrade from Mint 16 to Mint 17"
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=168017
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

johanna
Level 2
Level 2

Post by johanna »

Thank you all for your info and input, it is and will be very helpful and I am sure I'll get it to work!
I'll just need a day without interruption so I can concentrate on it. :)
Regards, Johanna

johanna
Level 2
Level 2

Post by johanna »

Just letting you know, I feel very proud that I have managed to upgrade from mint 15 to mint 17 on my netbook! Not bad for a nearly 70 year old lady! :lol:
Thank you all for your help!!!!! Regards, Johanna

WinterTroubles
Level 6
Level 6

Post by WinterTroubles »

johanna wrote:Just letting you know, I feel very proud that I have managed to upgrade from mint 15 to mint 17 on my netbook! Not bad for a nearly 70 year old lady! :lol:
Thank you all for your help!!!!! Regards, Johanna

Congratulations :D and you're most welcome.

Could you please go to your first post in this topic. click the edit button and add [solved] to the subject line so that others know there is a solution in this topic, many thanks.
17.1Cinn/17.1Xfce

If solved please edit the subject line of your first post to include [Solved] so other users know there's a solution in the topic.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Return to “Software & Applications”