Epson Perfection 1250 Scanner Color Banding

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
andy17mb

Epson Perfection 1250 Scanner Color Banding

Post by andy17mb »

Hi All,

I'm having scanning issues... I'm using Mint 17 Cinnamon 64bit and have libsane 1.0.23-3ubuntu3.1 installed. I've tried scanning with Simple scan, XSane and Gscan2pdf (so the Sane backend - plustek:libusb:004 for my Epson Perfection 1250 - is the same) and intermittently I am getting colour tinted scans when i scan in colour (eg left half of the image is green tinted and right half is red tinted or wholly yellow or pink background). I have had good scans from this in the past and still do intermittently, so I am not sure whether this is a SANE issue or the hardware. Can anyone suggest how I can narrow down the problem, or suggest a solution?

TIA

Andy
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rbmorse

Re: Epson Perfection 1250 Scanner Color Banding

Post by rbmorse »

Have you installed the Epson Linux drivers and the iScan package? Available at http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/supp ... SF_O_LINUX
andy17mb

Post by andy17mb »

I've not and am currently battling with trying to do that. I think I've now got all the dependencies in but I can't get it to compile :? Still trying to make sense of the error messages from the compiler.

The Plustek backend has been fine in the past and other literature seems to suggest it should work, so I'm assuming the Epson driver is a better alternative rather than the plustek backend no longer working?
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

so Andy seems like you go here http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/du/02 ... dc9fc14ff3

and download iscan_2.10.0-1.tar.gz (as the only package is for rpm)

Epson say to install the commands are
cd Downloads
tar -zxvf iscan_2.10.0-1.tar.gz
cd iscan_2.10.0-1
./configure
make
sudo make install

their readme says
A number of non-free plugins are available separately that provide support for the following scanners: Perfection 1250/Perfection 1250 PHOTO
I think they are available here http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/du/02 ... 702237f1e8

but it is only available as an rpm package it seems so you would need to use alien
andy17mb

Post by andy17mb »

Thanks,

That's exactly what I've done. After going through the ./configure stage three times I finally sorted out all the dependencies. Now when I "make" the compiler gets so far and spits out an error. I ran out of time and energy to figure that one out last night, but will have another go today.

What I was trying to check is whether the plustek backend that Sane automatically picks is now no longer functional and the proprietry Epson one should be used, or that the Epson one is simply a better alternative and the Plustek should still work.
andy17mb

Post by andy17mb »

I am still fighting a war of attrition with trying to compile the scanner driver. So - one question - has anyone succeeded in compling the driver refernced in this thread? I'm now at the make compile stage and GCC is spitting out errors like an angry cat. I've got so far googling errors but am now stuck. Here's the compiler output:

Code: Select all

Making install in include
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/atc/Downloads/iscan-2.10.0/include'
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/atc/Downloads/iscan-2.10.0/include'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `install-exec-am'.
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `install-data-am'.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/atc/Downloads/iscan-2.10.0/include'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/atc/Downloads/iscan-2.10.0/include'
Making install in libltdl
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/atc/Downloads/iscan-2.10.0/libltdl'
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/atc/Downloads/iscan-2.10.0/libltdl'
test -z "/usr/local/lib" || mkdir -p -- "/usr/local/lib"
test -z "/usr/local/include" || mkdir -p -- "/usr/local/include"
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/atc/Downloads/iscan-2.10.0/libltdl'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/atc/Downloads/iscan-2.10.0/libltdl'
Making install in lib
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/atc/Downloads/iscan-2.10.0/lib'
if /bin/bash ../libtool --tag=CXX --mode=compile g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I../include/sane  -I../include   -g -O2 -MT libimage_stream_la-imgstream.lo -MD -MP -MF ".deps/libimage_stream_la-imgstream.Tpo" -c -o libimage_stream_la-imgstream.lo `test -f 'imgstream.cc' || echo './'`imgstream.cc; \
	then mv -f ".deps/libimage_stream_la-imgstream.Tpo" ".deps/libimage_stream_la-imgstream.Plo"; else rm -f ".deps/libimage_stream_la-imgstream.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
 g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I../include/sane -I../include -g -O2 -MT libimage_stream_la-imgstream.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/libimage_stream_la-imgstream.Tpo -c imgstream.cc  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/libimage_stream_la-imgstream.o
imgstream.cc: In static member function 'static lt__handle* iscan::imgstream::find_dlopen(const char*)':
imgstream.cc:262:69: error: invalid conversion from 'int (*)(const void*, const void*)' to 'int (*)(const dirent**, const dirent**)' [-fpermissive]
       int count = scandir (dir_name, &match, selector, reversionsort);
                                                                     ^
In file included from imgstream.hh:45:0,
                 from imgstream.cc:31:
/usr/include/dirent.h:254:12: error:   initializing argument 4 of 'int scandir(const char*, dirent***, int (*)(const dirent*), int (*)(const dirent**, const dirent**))' [-fpermissive]
 extern int scandir (const char *__restrict __dir,
            ^
imgstream.cc: In function 'int iscan::reversionsort(const void*, const void*)':
imgstream.cc:313:27: error: invalid conversion from 'const void*' to 'const dirent**' [-fpermissive]
   return versionsort (b, a);
                           ^
/usr/include/dirent.h:379:12: error:   initializing argument 1 of 'int versionsort(const dirent**, const dirent**)' [-fpermissive]
 extern int versionsort (const struct dirent **__e1,
            ^
imgstream.cc:313:27: error: invalid conversion from 'const void*' to 'const dirent**' [-fpermissive]
   return versionsort (b, a);
                           ^
/usr/include/dirent.h:379:12: error:   initializing argument 2 of 'int versionsort(const dirent**, const dirent**)' [-fpermissive]
 extern int versionsort (const struct dirent **__e1,
            ^
make[1]: *** [libimage_stream_la-imgstream.lo] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/atc/Downloads/iscan-2.10.0/lib'
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
Any suggestions?

Thanks

Andy
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

Hi ,

try this as sane does support the 125 scanner.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ScanningHowTo
andy17mb

Post by andy17mb »

Thanks for the suggestion,

That has helped me to solve the original problem (although not the one of why I can't compile iscan). I hadn't really understood how the backends were configured until now. after rooting about in /etc/sane.d I discovered that the wrong backend was being selected. By editing dll.conf and commenting out (#) all the backends in the list except the ones suggested on the sane site I now have the scanner configured with the plustek backednd and surprise, surprise it scans beautifully again.

If anyone can suggest how to sort my compilation issues out I would be grateful, but I can at least scan an image now

Andy
emmo78
Level 1
Level 1

Post by emmo78 »

Hi,

i'm newbie but i got my Epson perfection 1250 photo work fine with iscan under linux mint 17 cinnamon 32 and 64.

you need ia32-libs installed (by default) on linux 64.

Get the 2 rpm on the Epson official site :
- iscan-plugin-gt-7200-1.0.0-1.c2.i386.rpm
- iscan-2.10.0-1.c2.i386.rpm

Do :
> sudo alien -d -k
on each file to get .deb
Install with gdebi. It willl ask you to install libjpeg62 on linux 32 ; libjpeg:i386, libusb_0.1-4:i386 on linux 64.
Then create with sudo gedit a text file named "iscan" in /etc/sane.d/dll.d/ with one line "epkowa"

Then you can run Image Scan with "> iscan" in a shell window.

That's all.
andy17mb

Post by andy17mb »

Thanks for the suggestion.

Bad news however - the Epson Kowa site (www.epkowa.co.jp) seems to be down. Whether permenantly or just at the moment I don't know.

It also looks as if the Scanner is faulty, so I think this post is now closed. Thanks again to all those who offered help
emmo78
Level 1
Level 1

Post by emmo78 »

Hi,
andy17mb wrote: Bad news however - the Epson Kowa site (http://www.epkowa.co.jp) seems to be down.
http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/searc ... ch/?OSC=LX is up. I tried few minutes ago. Just write "Perfection 1250" in the search box.
Take "for gcc 3.4 or later"

So this post is not closed.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”