Memory Leak?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
brando569

Memory Leak?

Post by brando569 »

I've noticed that after I dont restart my computer for a few days the ram usage will be a lot higher then it was an hour after I rebooted. For example, lets say after a reboot I only use 500mb out of my 2gb, I open a few programs/watch a few tv shows/listen to some music et cetera and when I'm done with them I close them. At this point I'll probably have about 800mb used, after this same cycle a day or two later I'll barely have any programs running yet 1.8gb of ram is used! :shock:

At first I thought it was due to me running compiz-fusion and about 12 superkaramba themes, but then I noticed after a reboot even with all these open it only took up about 500mb. My computer has been "up" for 1 day 18 hours and 41 minutes and 1,934mb out of 2,026mb of ram is in use even though the only programs I have open are firefox, konqueror, KDE SysGuard, amarok, superkaramba, compiz and the normal background kde processes.

Ive noticed that the ram usage of mintupdate has increased tri-fold in the past 1.5 days its usually around 50-60mb when now its at 155mb even though i never touch it. one of the superkaramba themes (logwatch) is at 142mb when it should be around 30mb (all the others are at 17mb but theyre small sensors), firefox is taking up 109mb (not really out of the ordinary, i have 4 tabs open), xorg is at 101mb and amarok is at 55mb.

is there anyway i can tell these processes to free up memory? there is no reason for something that reads the info from 4 logfiles to take up 142mb of ram or for mintupdate to increase its usage trifold.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Memory Leak?

Post by Boo »

This has been noted before and i think the real problem was a memory leak in a python library.

there may also be a difference if you open mintUpdate once and then close it.

you could search the forums for mintUpdate problems in the past.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
brando569

Post by brando569 »

it definitely is a (python) memory leak since logwatch runs off of a python script as of right now the superkaramba widgets are only taking up about 17-25mb each (about 10 or so of them), but 1,921mb is still used and the systems only been up for 3 hours and the only thing ive been doing is watching episodes of House in Kaffeine! I've searched and read the posts about MintUpdate and MintMenu but there werent really any solutions listed...

I think I'm going to install kubuntu 8.04 tomorrow to see if I still have some of the problems that I have in Daryna (this so called memory leak, problems with compiling kernels even though I think it has more to do with my onboard Intel HD audio than it does Linux Mint)
brando569

Post by brando569 »

it turns out my memory sensor was reporting the total memory used and not just the application memory used. about a good 50-75% of the memory was used by cache so everything was actually fine :)

Return to “Software & Applications”