Where are the older Linux Mint releases?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Brahim Salem

Where are the older Linux Mint releases?

Post by Brahim Salem »

I checked this link http://www.linuxmint.com/download_all.php this morning and I have noticed that they have removed the obsolete releases why is that?
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Where are the older Linux Mint releases?

Post by xenopeek »

Zorba wrote:obsolete releases
seeley
Level 7
Level 7

Post by seeley »

seeley @ Linux multiboot
gary428509
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gary428509 »

They're obsolete.
nomko

Post by nomko »

There's not much for a reason left to use old, obsolete releases other than from a "nostalgic point of view". using older versions means to don't get any support, you lack the latest updates and specially security updates, probably version conflicts between the latest program packages and old and/or outdated packages.

If your system can handle it, stick to the latest release. Else use Mint 13 (LTS).
seeley
Level 7
Level 7

Post by seeley »

Yes, but if somebody has a question concerning an old release you can tell him how long it's oblsolete.
seeley @ Linux multiboot
turtlebay777

Post by turtlebay777 »

My 1963 Land Rover is obsolete but it still works and still does what it was intended to do!

'Obsolete' is used a lot on this forum, far too much in my opinion.
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

turtlebay777, you're still running Linux Mint 7 and 10. Obsolete isn't used too much on this forum. When security teams and other support teams no longer work on the sotware you are working, so it's completely unsupported, then it's right to call it obsolete. You still want to continue to use it, fine. That doesn't change that Linux Mint 7 and 10 are both obsolete and Linux Mint users should be clear that they shouldn't want to use these--because they are obsolete.
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

and then there is my Laptop - that is still running
an Obsolete copy of Mint 5 Daryna
:lol:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

Pierre wrote:and then there is my Laptop - that is still running
:lol:
Elyssa. Linux Mint 5 is Elyssa. It was my first love, I remember very well :lol:
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
nomko

Post by nomko »

Pierre wrote:and then there is my Laptop - that is still running
As xenopeek stated, obosolete is used for Mint versions whose support is ended, meaning no longer supported. For Mint developers, maintainers and other team members these version are obsolete and therefore prone to any (security) risks.

Also xenopeek stated that everybody is free for everybody to use those obsolete version but even so, it's not something you want to desire or just want to, for the reason they are obsolete and no longer supported and therefore prone to any risks (security risks => leaks/bugs/backdoors).
Pierre wrote: :lol:
I really don't see the fun in running an old/obsolete/unsupported Mint version....
eanfrid
Level 7
Level 7

Post by eanfrid »

nomko wrote:I really don't see the fun in running an old/obsolete/unsupported Mint version....
At the computosaurus museum ? :mrgreen:
Main desktop: Debian GNU/Linux Jessie 64bit - MATE
(i5 2400@3.7GHz - 16GB DDR3 - HD6770 w/radeon driver - SSD+RAID1)
Safer than Dropbox
turtlebay777

Post by turtlebay777 »

If I want to do banking on my computer, which I don't, I'd never use an installed system anyway, but always a live session from a CD or DVD, that's the only way to prevent security issues.
killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

turtlebay777 wrote:If I want to do banking on my computer, which I don't, I'd never use an installed system anyway, but always a live session from a CD or DVD, that's the only way to prevent security issues.
That's new? :shock:
You know sometimes, when you don't know something it's better to say nothing...
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
turtlebay777

Post by turtlebay777 »

Merely an answer to the brigade who constantly trot out the 'it's obsolete and not secure any more' bollox about my use of older versions.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

they don't put out a wrapup or final ISO of each version. It's an ISO at the beginning, then updates, then......obsolete. So, even if someone installs an older version, unless they have access to all the updates, their version is equal to the original on the day it was released, which puts one further back in time than the end date. No service packs, no rollups, nada.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
nomko

Post by nomko »

turtlebay777 wrote:Merely an answer to the brigade who constantly trot out the 'it's obsolete and not secure any more' bollox about my use of older versions.
It's not bollox. It's a fact! Why did Windows quit Windows XP? It's outdated and no longer safe or secure. Despite the reason that the desktop layout can be used for many more years, the ongoing development of malicious software, the track and trace of leaks and backdoors in applications forced Microsoft to end XP and continue with W7 and W8 as the latest, more secure operating system. Same issue goes for Linux as well. Did you really thought that the Linux kernel was that secure and safe??? As an example, they recently found a leak in the kernel which was there for a few years.....unnoticed!

adding shortcut for the above statement:
http://linux.slashdot.org/story/14/05/1 ... -bug-fixed

+1 for killer the bug:
when you don't know something it's better to say nothing...
Last edited by nomko on Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
var
Level 3
Level 3

Post by var »

Obsolete is used more for software because it advances faster than cars or technology (still waiting for that food replicator!).

Using an older car is not obsolete, its economical, but when you refer to running old versions of an OS, it is a matter of security. Software advances so fast that things become obsolete faster. Of course, you are free to go and run an old OS, just don't treat it like it is still 'supported'.. because it won't be. It costs money and space to keep these outdated iso's online, the team are under no obligation to keep providing these far from their date of release.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

turtlebay777 wrote:Merely an answer to the brigade who constantly trot out the 'it's obsolete and not secure any more' bollox about my use of older versions.
You can probably find older versions around the internet to download, but then you have to search the repositories for archived areas where all the updates that happened during the lifetime of that older version is stored. What older version were you interested in? Probably someone here can upload one to their server and let you download it.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
turtlebay777

Post by turtlebay777 »

Zorba wrote:I checked this link http://www.linuxmint.com/download_all.php this morning and I have noticed that they have removed the obsolete releases why is that?

The world's mirrors still contain most of the old versions from Linux Mint 5 "Xfce" on, http://distrowatch.com/index.php?distribution=mint, and scroll down the page to the one you want. :lol:

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”