User Login Pictures - where are they?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
webtarget
Level 3
Level 3

User Login Pictures - where are they?

Post by webtarget »

Hi,

I recall when installing LMDE, there were many files to choose from for the user login picture. Is only the one that was chosen installed or are all them installed during the installaton process. And if they are all installed, does anyone know where I can find them?

Thanks.
p.s. I already read that the chosen pic is in your home directory as .face. But, I want to use one of the other pics for another login.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: User Login Pictures - where are they?

Post by kyphi »

The easiest way to find the images is to open "Users and Groups" in the main menu, click on the icon and select an image from the drop down gallery.

The images are in /usr/share/pixmaps/faces
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
webtarget
Level 3
Level 3

Post by webtarget »

Thanks for the location. I still can't change the picture using the windows/menus. Using LMDE Mate 64.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

Could you be more specific, please. I don't understand what you mean by "windows/menus".
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
webtarget
Level 3
Level 3

Post by webtarget »

I mean using the menus such as System -> Administration -> Users and Groups, and then clicking on the specific user. I tried looking and left and right clicking all over the place. I can't change the picture.

I'm pretty sure I can just do it at the command line now that I have some pictures from the path you showed me, since all I have to do is drop it in the new home directory of the user and rename it to .face.

But, if I could do it from the menu's that would be nice too.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

If I open Users and Groups, click on "Add", fill in the screen that appears with "Standard" for account, add a name, this will appear on the Users and Groups screen with the standard icon. Click on the icon on the right and all the user images will appear.
That is how it works in Cinnamon and I assume that it works like this in MATE.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
webtarget
Level 3
Level 3

Post by webtarget »

I happened to find it in the Control Centre -> About Me. I can click on the picture and change it.

Note to kyphi: Yeah, probably if I add a new user I can select the picture, still haven't done it yet, but, I can't seem to change an existing user using the method you mentioned (in MATE). But, as I mentioned above, found it elsewhere.
abickerton

Post by abickerton »

The image shown on the login screen is the .face file stored under the users home directory.
It's a 96x96 pixel image.

Return to “LMDE Archive”