Problem with LibreOffice Base

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JerryC58
Level 4
Level 4

Problem with LibreOffice Base

Post by JerryC58 »

I am using LibreOffice Base 4.1.3.2 on Mint 16. I use it to keep track of my collection of Jack Daniels bottles. If I remember correctly, this file was created on some version of Base 3 or 4 years ago on some version of Ubuntu. Now when I try to open this database to add some new bottles, i get errors. The first error is "The connection to the data source "Jack Daniel Bottles" could not be established". The second error is "SQL Status: HY000
The connection to the external data source could not be established. No SDBC driver was found for the given URL. An information line states "A connection for the following URL was requested "/home/jc/Documents/Jack Daniel/Jack Daniel/JD Bottles.accdb"". I have made sure the .accdb file is there where it is supposed to be. I suspect the second error where it says no SDBC driver was found is the problem. So I found and installed PostgreSQL SDBC driver. I still get the errors when I try to open my database. Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nathant

Re: Problem with LibreOffice Base

Post by nathant »

My situation is similar to yours. I have no problem with LibreOffice in Linux Mint 16. Then I upgrade (clean install) to Linux Mint 17. LibreOffice cannot open an existing database. The error is "No SDBC driver was found. A connection for the following URL was requested "sdbc:hsqldb".

I finally figure out that "SDBC HSQLDB" driver is missing. Using Synaptic Package Manager, I install "libreoffice-sdbc-hsqldb". That solves the problem.

Nathan
JerryC58
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JerryC58 »

Sounds reasonable. But when I do a search in Synaptic Package Manager for libreoffice-sdbc-hsqldb, it doesn't find anything. I probably have a missing source. Any idea what it would be?
wilr

Post by wilr »

Thanks for bringing me on the right track.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install libreoffice-sdbc-hsqldb
in the terminal did the trick for me.

Good luck!
JerryC58
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JerryC58 »

Tried that. Said it couldn't find it.
jaygee17

Post by jaygee17 »

I had the same problem. No sdbc.
Database originally created using libreoffice 4.1.2 in linux mint 16.
Wasn't able to open using libreoffice 4.2.2 in mint 17 - followed "nathant" & "wilr" posts and everything is working great. Thanks fellas.

JC - Use "Update Manager" to find/install "libreoffice-sdbc-hsqldb" Not Synaptic Package Manager
* Seaching in Synaptic Package Manger will only show sdbc-hsqldb if it's installed.
else
open terminal (ctrl+alt+t) then copy and paste the code below --- As previously posted

Jeff
JerryC58
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JerryC58 »

Like I said before, tried it (terminal method), couldn't find it. Started Update Manager, don't know how to tell it what to look for. Do I need to update or add a repository?

JC
jmpurbeck

Post by jmpurbeck »

JerryC58 - you probably need to try
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libreoffice/ppa
sudo apt-get update

Then retry the install command.

HTH
JerryC58
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JerryC58 »

That worked for me but now the error is different from the one in the first post. It reads:

"The connection to the data source "Jack Daniels Bottles" could not be established.

The connection to the external data source could not be established. No SDBC driver was found for the URL '/home/jc/Documents/Jack Daniel/Jack Daniel/JD Bottles.accdb'.

The JD Bottles.accdb file is in that directory.

Any more ideas?

JC
Hugh_HH

Re: Problem with LibreOffice Base SOLUTION

Post by Hugh_HH »

I had the same problem.
In Mint 17 is only LO base -core- installed. Go to synaptic and install
LO base
LO base drivers

just make sure you have all -three- base packages installed.

Then you can work.
JerryC58
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JerryC58 »

I thank everyone for all of the time you have spent with me on this problem, but the time has come to give up. I have tried all of the suggestions as best I could, but nothing has helped. I will start over and recreate my database and see what happens. Again, thank you to everyone.

JC
antcj
Level 3
Level 3

Post by antcj »

Hmm i just had similar issue with base.
anyway after doing all that was suggested above i then discovered that if i go to tools>options>Libreoffice>advanced and make sure that the radio button is ticked for oracle, did the job. (thanks to these guys http://en.libreofficeforum.org/node/1671)
I had the additional issue of not being able to open the db over a network. that is now fixed as well.
Thanks guys.
Cogar

Post by Cogar »

nathant wrote:My situation is similar to yours. I have no problem with LibreOffice in Linux Mint 16. Then I upgrade (clean install) to Linux Mint 17. LibreOffice cannot open an existing database. The error is "No SDBC driver was found. A connection for the following URL was requested "sdbc:hsqldb".

I finally figure out that "SDBC HSQLDB" driver is missing. Using Synaptic Package Manager, I install "libreoffice-sdbc-hsqldb". That solves the problem.

Nathan
Thank you, Nathan. Worked for me. :D
MJ12
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MJ12 »

wilr wrote: Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:13 am Thanks for bringing me on the right track.

in the terminal did the trick for me.[/code]

Good luck!
Cheers... that worked a treat for me!

Return to “Software & Applications”