[SOLVED] Inspiron 700m not recognizing USB drive as bootable

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
monery

[SOLVED] Inspiron 700m not recognizing USB drive as bootable

Post by monery »

Greetings all

I been trying to get LMDE installed via USB drive since the machine doesn't like reading newer drives burned DVD's
I know the USB drive works since I can boot up my other machines with it, but for some reason, the 700m says...

Code: Select all

isolinux.bin missing or corrupt
any suggestions on things to try would be appeciated
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mute Ant

Re: Inspiron 700m not recognizing USB drive as bootable

Post by Mute Ant »

''Inspiron 700m not recognizing USB drive as bootable'' Yes it is.
''isolinux.bin missing or corrupt'' is a message from the boot sector of the LMDE distribution ISO.
The boot loader has to rely on the BIOS to identify and access the connected drives. A more accurate message might be ''isolinux.bin can't be found on the drive BIOS says is the boot drive. Try changing the boot-priority in the BIOS setup, so the USB is actually mapped as the-first-drive-in-the-system rather than the-first-drive-to-try-when-booting.
monery

[SOLVED]Inspiron 700m not recognizing USB drive as bootable

Post by monery »

strange how setting the USB flash drive in the BIOS instead of the boot menu using F12 solved the issue. Thanks for the idea, I would have never tried that in a million years

Cheers

Monery

Return to “Installation & Boot”