how can i use the webcam

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ginjabunny

Re: how can i use the webcam

Post by ginjabunny »

not tried it yet but with the latest ubuntu came a new webcam program called "cheese", you can install it using synaptic package manager
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
atlef
Level 4
Level 4

Post by atlef »

There is also Cheese which can record and take pictures.

atlef.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

Different webcams works with different softwares. If it doesn't work with camorama try cheese, and vice versa. There are even more, can't remember the names right now...
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
Linux n00b

Post by Linux n00b »

I tried cheese, it works with my webcam, however, it is very slow. It looks like I got 3 fps, instead of 30 fps under Vista. Can someone suggest a better package?
atlef
Level 4
Level 4

Post by atlef »

luvcview is also a program to try.

atlef.
Linux n00b

Post by Linux n00b »

I have tried a few different program, and cheese is the only one that detect my webcam. it is built on top of the LCD display, I believe it is still using USB bus. However, for strange reason, only IM (eg. aMSN) and cheese can "see" the webcam.

I guess I have to hope the next cheese release can be better. right now there are number of problems with it, including:

1. out of sudden, the display from cheese changed to complete rubbish.
2. cheese freeze up, had to "kill" it.
3. similar to #1, but half the display got trashed.
4. really low FPS.

aMSN seems good so far.
atlef
Level 4
Level 4

Post by atlef »

Well, Cheese freezes on me too, so it seems to be to "new" and needs more development. But luvcview works fine. Also Kopete works fine for me and so does Skype. But it all depends on which cam you have.

atlef.

Return to “Beginner Questions”