Screen Resolution

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Screen Resolution

Post by npap »

Hello Ronnie,
Did you check the Screen Resolution panel in Menu>Control Center>Desktop>Screen Resolution ?
Good luck, npap
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

What graphics card do you have?
I found an oddity with my nVidia card. After installing the driver (and thanks for envy!) you get System tools>nVidia Xserver settings in the menu. I could set a higher resolution there than in Menu>Control Center>Desktop>Screen Resolution but the setting was not sticky, gone after reboot.
I had to manually edit the xorg.conf file and add the resolution I wanted. No big deal if you're a computer geek even without Linux experience...but I'd rather not have to do it :)
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Screen Resolution

Post by npap »

Good Morning Husse,
I have an Intel graphics card. My resolution is 1024x768, and my monitor 17" Generic.
The only problem I have is logging in. :? It seems, since the default Ubuntu Edgy
resolution is 1280x1024 and apparently my graphics card or monitor can't handle it, I have to use the Auto Login option. Otherwise, I must try to log in in 'safe mode' :o
Regards, npap

PS. Though I have set 1024x768 as default, my PC always starts with the higher
resolution, and then it goes to the lower one :? . This was a problem with all Ubuntu live Versions.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Morning npap
What about commenting out all instances of a resulution higher than 1024*768 in xorg.conf?
Husse

Post by Husse »

Ronnie
You must sudo to be able to edit xorg.conf

sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf should do it - if you remember your password :)
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

Good Evening Husse,
I did as you suggested and got rid of the high resolution.
I only found out that it is a login problem and it is not affected by resolution. My PC freezes most of the time when I try to log in. I can't even use the mouse, and I have to restart. :o
Anyway, thank you for your help. At least I learned how to edit xorg.config.
BTW, the login problem happens to be exclusive to Ubuntu Live distros.
Greetings, npap

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”