User Guide: Slovak

Help translate Linux Mint to other languages
Forum rules
No support questions here please. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tibbi

User Guide: Slovak

Post by tibbi »

hello,
Id like to upload the translated documentation for a new language, namely Slovak.
Before that I have a few questions. Ive also inserted my translated screenshots, but ive made them now in linux mint 16. Is it a big deal? Theres a few minor differences, like during the installation of 16 theres those small rounded squares at the bottom, which werent there at 15. Theres probably a few more really minor differences. If its not a problem, you can accept it. If it is, I can wait for the documentation of 16 (if its being worked on ;). Id like to have some documentation uploaded as soon as possible, as Im soon starting a project with spreading linux mint around here.

the link is https://www.dropbox.com/s/vsivwswavzsbo ... k_15.0.odt

Thanks a lot!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: User Guide: Slovak

Post by xenopeek »

Welcome to Linux Mint & thank you very much for doing a translation! There will be no updated manual for Linux Mint 16, as the differences for installation and maintenance steps from Linux Mint 15 are small. I expect an updated manual to be done for Linux Mint 17, the next long-term support release.

I could move forward with your manual as-is, or if you want you could edit it to be for Linux Mint 16. I think that just needs you adding Petra to the table of release names, updating the release notes link to be for Petra, and of course replacing Linux Mint 15 / Olivia text everywhere with Linux Mint 16 / Petra. As Linux Mint 15 has reached end-of-life and has been obsoleted, I think for a new translation it would be preferable to refer to Linux Mint 16. Let me know how you want to proceed.
tibbi

Post by tibbi »

Since the site says 15, I will leave it as describing 15, so its not confusing. Just forward it as it is, I will update it to 17 when its out. Thanks
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Okay, no problem :) The user guide looks good; I've forwarded it for uploading to the Documentation page. I'll let you know here when it is available. Thanks again for providing the translation!
tibbi

Post by tibbi »

how about creating a local community? Can I just paste the links here ?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Awesome :D Actually, I think that is a two step process. Look at the other local communities to get an idea for what kind of information is useful to share: http://www.linuxmint.com/communities.php (aside from things like links, perhaps also a banner or logo and who will be the community leader for contact by the Linux Mint team).

Aside from that information, if the local community with be using the Linux Mint name (like domain name or website name) and branding (like logo) please first get in contact with the Linux Mint project lead Clement Lefebvre at root@linuxmint.com to get permission to use the Linux Mint name and branding. For local communities I think this is but a formality, but Linux Mint is copyrighted and trademarked so permission is needed.

In the same email you could include the information for your local community. If you do that in the same ordering and in the same style as one of the other local communities, Clem can just copy & paste it. Or you if you're not ready yet, you can ask me later here (assuming you already got permission from Clem) and I'll ensure it gets added to the website.

Congratulations on moving towards a local community!
tibbi

Post by tibbi »

I actually wont be using "linuxmint" in the domain name, nor the logo. The sites name will be the equivalent of DontBeAfraidOfLinux, where Im writing guides, tips etc on how to install and use Linux Mint MATE, some things will obviously be generally about Linuxes, not just Linux Mint. I wont explicitly be showing the logo yet either, it will just be visible on some screenshots, and the websites colors are more or less the colors of Linux Mint, how I see it. I plan starting it tomorrow, so i really hope Ill make it in time :D The site is offline yet, I will give the link once its on (i hope tomorrow).
The goal of the site will be proving that Linux isnt just about a black screen with a command line. Once we are online, we will see if the site fits as a local community site.
tibbi

Post by tibbi »

so our domain provider decided that he will be offline on saturday, when I wanted to launch the project :D
I started it today, and here is the website: http://www.nebojtesalinuxu.sk/
As Ive mentioned earlier, some parts are generally about linuxes, but its mostly focused on Linux Mint when its about a special distribution.
Guide for installing Linux is at http://www.nebojtesalinuxu.sk/navody/in ... nuxu-mint/ .It focuses at Windows users and it advises dual-boot for beginners. We have no forums, and I dont really plan creating one either.
So, thats my site, let me know if its Mint-ish enough to create a local community around it ;)
tibbi

Post by tibbi »

umm any news? its been 2 weeks by now.
tibbi

Post by tibbi »

are you guys kidding me? I thought you will be glad for a brand new language translation, and you ignore it for a month?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I've forwarded your translation to Clem; he apologizes for the delay and will upload the translation. Usually I try and get an update from Clem on IRC when there is a delay, but I've been swamped at worked and just haven't been able to hang around IRC. Sorry.
tibbi

Post by tibbi »

I see it now, thanks a bunch. Ill update it to 17 when the english version is available.
tibbi

Post by tibbi »

so another thing, to not let this thread die ;)
Is that site good enough for a local community? It has no forums, I dont even plan adding one anytime soon. Its basically a blog-like site sometimes about Linux generally, and if Im explaining something on a specific Linux, its Linux Mint. Theres no Linux Mint in the link, and no specific icon of Linux Mint yet except for the screenshots, even tho I might add the Linux Mint logo somewhere soon.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Local community doesn't need to have forums. But, while I see you doing Linux Mint related things, how is it a community? I don't see a way for other Slovak Linux Mint users to contribute--or at least not while viewing with Google translate.
tibbi

Post by tibbi »

well ye, they can help with writing some guides, but not really interact. Even if they could comment some topics, thats not real interaction. It really needs forums. Nevermind, I will let you know if/once I make some ;)
tibbi

Post by tibbi »

Hello, Im here again :)
Ive updated the slovak translation of the docs, heres the file.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/793 ... k_17.0.odt
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Thanks for the work! I've just forwarded it to Clem and asked him to upload the guide :)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

The user guide has been uploaded, and is now available on http://www.linuxmint.com/documentation.php. Something to consider: there is now also an official user guide for the Cinnamon edition (on the same page). It's available in 5 languages so far, with just 3 new translations having been added. It would be great if you could consider doing a translation for the Cinnamon user guide :)
tibbi

Post by tibbi »

Thanks a lot. I personally dont like Cinnamon, but Ill consider it in the near future :) There cant be many differences.
tibbi

Post by tibbi »

so here I am, with cinnamon translation.
But man, those guides are kinda messy. Things that were at MATE 15 and were removed at MATE 17 are still there at Cinnamon 17, or things added to MATE 17 arent at Cinnamon 17 etc.
For example the welcome screen isnt mentioned at Cinnamon 17, even hto its there at MATE 17.
And Ive found that at MATE docs, LibreOffice is defined as "A database application (alternative to Microsoft Access)", which has correct description at Cinnamon "A general starter for this office suite". If you accept the change, upload a new MATE 17 documentation too :)
Here are the links:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/793 ... nnamon.odt
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/793 ... 0_mate.odt

Return to “Translations”