How to install copy.com a good alternative to Dropbox

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
Don_Pedro
Level 4
Level 4

How to install copy.com a good alternative to Dropbox

Post by Don_Pedro »

Hello I used it for almost one year,
They offer 15 GB free,
For me it's fast and efficient.
1. Download Copy for Linux from https://www.copy.com/home/

2. Open up Terminal

3. Navigate to your downloads folder by entering the following command into Terminal:

cd Downloads

You should now be in your downloads folder.

4. untar the Copy download by entering the following command:

tar xvf (filename).tar

The Copy download is now uncompressed, and you will have a copy folder in your Downloads folder.

5. Navigate to where CopyAgent is stored within the copy folder by entering these commands:

cd copy

There are two folders directly inside of the copy folder: x86 and x86_64. You will have to pick the correct folder for your installation of Linux (x86 for 32-bit, x86_64 for 64-bit)

cd (either x86 or x86_64)

6. Run CopyAgent

./CopyAgent

Copy should then install.

You should now be running Copy.
Last edited by karlchen on Thu May 22, 2014 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed "?r=nFCg88&signup=1" from the copy.com link thus preventing the logon screen from popping up immediately
P.
Mint 21.2 64-bit , Cinnamon
Think Pad T420 Ram:8 GB Intel© Core™ i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz × 2 SSD Samsung- Firefox/Brave
CupidsHelper

Re: How to install copy.com a good alternative to Dropbox

Post by CupidsHelper »

Here is a PPA, to make it easier. I have had no problems with it. Cheers. :)

Code: Select all

ppa:paolorotolo/copy
https://launchpad.net/~paolorotolo/+archive/ubuntu/copy
nomko

Post by nomko »

I tested it and IMHO it's not working flawless....
CupidsHelper

Post by CupidsHelper »

nomko wrote:I tested it and IMHO it's not working flawless....
Hello. Sorry to hear that. :( Do you know what issue it is having?
nomko

Post by nomko »

CupidsHelper wrote:
I added the PPA but didn't worked as it should be. Some Qt4 file conflicts i guess. But your how-to isn't really handy either. You need to run it from the terminal each time you want to run Copy.com??
CupidsHelper

Post by CupidsHelper »

nomko wrote:
CupidsHelper wrote:
I added the PPA but didn't worked as it should be. Some Qt4 file conflicts i guess. But your how-to isn't really handy either. You need to run it from the terminal each time you want to run Copy.com??
No, you do not need to run it from the terminal each time.

OK. The PPA is IMO an easier way to install and use Copy. IF you have already installed Copy, the way the original posted showed you, but want to try the PPA way, you must first uninstall the original installation, first. I have installed Copy with this PPA about 5 other times, without issue. I have installed Copy on Linux Mint 17 desktop environments: Cinnamon, KDE and Xfce.

Step by step (For first time installer):

1. go to https://www.copy.com/home/ sign up for your Copy account, following the instructions on the website.
2. Open Software Manager, search for synaptic package manager, install it and any dependencies. Then close Software Manager. (*only do this step if you do not see Synaptic in your menu)
3. Open Update Manager (Shield in the toolbar), edit Software Sources, click PPA button, click "+Add a new PPA" button copy and paste

Code: Select all

ppa:paolorotolo/copy
4. Refresh Software Sources and then close Update Manager.
5. Open Synaptic Package Manager, refresh package list (if necessary), search for copy, check to install and install. (AFAIK=As far as I know, there are no extra dependencies required.)
6. After installation of copy finishes, close Synaptic.
7. Look in Menu, under Accessories, you should see Copy icon installed there (otherwise do a search), click icon to start Copy
8. Choose login option, since you have already signed up for Copy at the website, enter the email you used and your password.
9. Then you are presented with setup options (leaving default is ok) folder location, and start up of Copy each time you log into your desktop.

There you go. Hopefully this makes it clear. Let me know, if not.

Gitty up.
nomko

Post by nomko »

CupidsHelper wrote: Step by step (For first time installer):
I know how to add a PPA ;)
blueicetwice
Level 4
Level 4

Post by blueicetwice »

Copy ©
Copy has been discontinued

Copy was discontinued on May 1, 2016.

Does anyone copy - over :?:
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

blueicetwice,
Copy ©
Copy has been discontinued

Copy was discontinued on May 1, 2016.

Does anyone copy - over
I know you must have seen and been told about the "LOCKED" posts that you have already responded to and expected a response in return. There being locked because they are, ancient and way out of date to be of any use now.

You did one that was 8 years old and another that was almost ten years old where i gave you a much more up to date link for download before a moderator kindly "Locked" the posts.

Please Look At The Dates On The Posts

In this case it is,
by Don_Pedro » Tue May 20, 2014 10:56 pm
The information your going for is woefully out of date and could under certain circumstances, really screw up your system if you implement them...DAMIEN

Return to “Tutorials”