Driver for Dell C1765nfw Printer

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wwfwng
Level 3
Level 3

Driver for Dell C1765nfw Printer

Post by wwfwng »

What driver should I use for the Dell C1765nfw printer?

Disclaimer: I have only used this for wired printing and have not tested for wireless.

Axiom119's advice worked for me with Mint 15. Mint 13 was another story.
Axiom119 wrote:I have this same printer. I was able to get it to print using the Dell 1355 Foomatic/foo2hbpl2 driver in Mint 15. I then had to go into the printer properties and change it from monochrome to color to have it print in color.
For Mint 13, I downloaded a driver at
http://www.support.xerox.com/support/workcentre-6015/downloads/enus.html?operatingSystem=linux&fileLanguage=en

The Workcenter 6015 driver worked for my desktop which is 64 bit. It did not work for my laptop which is 32 bit. There is probably another reason that it worked for my desktop and not my laptop but remember that I am still pretty much a newbie.

For my laptop, I installed Mint 15 and then used the Dell 1355 driver.

Imo, this is more of a work around than a solution but I can print now.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Printer Driver

Post by TBABill »

I found nothing to suggest that printer is compatible with Linux. From Dell's site it only seems to work on OSX if "Windows 8 Compatible", as they have it listed, is true.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

Alot of the Dell printers are manufactured by Lexmark. Lexmark printers are not supported in linux as a rule. I did look at some documentation on this printer and it doesnt state (like it does others) if its made by lexmark but I suspect it is. Therefore, I would have to say this printer is not supported for printing in linux. This is a windows only printer.

If you have just bought it I would recommend returning it.

I run a brother 9025 multifunction printer ( http://www.renuecomputers.com/renueblog/?p=116 ) and have reviewed it in my personal blog. It does run great in linux. I highly recommend it.

Sorry,

coffee
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
Axiom119

Post by Axiom119 »

I have this same printer. I was able to get it to print using the Dell 1355 Foomatic/foo2hbpl2 driver in Mint 15. I then had to go into the printer properties and change it from monochrome to color to have it print in color.
wwfwng
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wwfwng »

Thanks Axiom 119. I'll try it.
wwfwng
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wwfwng »

I'm using Mint 13 and that particular driver does not appaear in the list. Is there a way to use apt-get (or another method) to install the driver or do I need to upgrade to Mint 15?
Debroyston

Re: Driver for Dell C1765nfw Printer [Solved]

Post by Debroyston »

I have recently installed LinuxMint 17 and the drivers have been added. However, the scanner still does not work although the copy facility does. Has anyone solved this?

It seems to be a problem with the computer unable to communicate with the scanner. I installed a driver from Lexmark and it tries to scan but reports a problem with the connection. I use a USB.
wwfwng
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Driver for Dell C1765nfw Printer [Solved]

Post by wwfwng »

Debroyston wrote:I have recently installed LinuxMint 17 and the drivers have been added. However, the scanner still does not work although the copy facility does. Has anyone solved this?
Not me. So I took the solved out of the caption.
cfuser

Re: Driver for Dell C1765nfw Printer

Post by cfuser »

Bump...same issue--the printer is fine, but the scanner doesn't seem to work.

Return to “Beginner Questions”