Skype just died, Mint 9

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
geekomatic
Level 4
Level 4

Skype just died, Mint 9

Post by geekomatic »

1stly, I know- I'm in the process of moving to 17!

However, within the week-- when I Skyped (via text) a friend, and now, I cannot get Skype to run any more? I can log in on the Skype web-page, so that's fine. But if I try to log in within the program, I get, "server connect failed" in red text on-screen. confused?

I un-installed Skype & reinstalled (via software manager)- nothing.

Help?

Me ;)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Chrisnz

Re: Skype just died, Mint 9

Post by Chrisnz »

Hi - i'm thinking your right - upgrade asap.

Backup as you need, Data, Firefox Pwd's etc, Email, Note any special programs and there exports... and then do a clean install - with a fresh version of Skype. The process is little less than time it takes to fix skype on a out of date Op system, however it should "shake the tree" of the "squirrles in the system. ;)
Your'll have a sweet run on the old PC after that and a few extra goodies to play with.
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

Hi,

skype has done a lot of upgrades and older OS may not like them at all. A lot of security leaks have been closed on skype and without them being also closed on the OS will not run (server connection issue), also skype some of the skype servers have been taken down for maintenance (I noticed a slow down over the last couple of days)

That said before making the move to Mint 17 you may want to consider if your hardware is up to it? Mint17 is relatively new and packs a lot of new features that older hardware will not be able to handle well or not at all.
Please send us your

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
so we can advise you on the best Mint for your system.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Download Skype 4.3 from the official website. Choose "Ubuntu 10.04 32-bit" in the combobox, then download.

Return to “Software & Applications”