Nemo can't rename files.

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
foole

Nemo can't rename files.

Post by foole »

I'm using Mint 17 Cinnamon 64bit.

Nemo can't rename files. Any files. Using either F2 or the right click menu. I get the edit window and the text to rename is highlighted, but my keyboard goes dead and I can't change any filenames.

This happened before under Mint 16 as well.

Anyone else having this trouble? I installed Thunar to use instead of Nemo and it renames files fine.
foole

Re: Nemo can't rename files.

Post by foole »

No one else has this problem? Amazing.

I found a bug report that is similar to my issue:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/1258397

This bug report says that when using ibus as a keyboard manager, it causes problems with Nero. I use ibus to type Japanese, so I killed ibus and Nemo works fine.

But it's a real pain to have to kill ibus every time I want to rename a file. Is there a workaround for this?
wilo108

Post by wilo108 »

Yes, I and my better half both had the same problem. My "solution", as it has been every time I've tried to move to iBus, was simply to go straight back to SCIM -- despite not being maintained for many years now, it is still much better than iBus.
irrenhaus3

Post by irrenhaus3 »

Hi there. I'm having the exact same problem and the first time it happened, keyboard input became insanely delayed in various parts of the system, including terminals - I'm talking almost a second of holding the key down before the first input character is recognized (and then auto-repeat kicks in and inputs another 20). Killing the ibus-daemon fixed the problem, but I still felt like reporting on that, just in case it becomes important for the bugfix team.
If only I had a little more time on the hand atm, I would attempt to patch it myself and probably break my entire cinnamon setup. :wink:
johnb0647
Level 1
Level 1

Post by johnb0647 »

I have the problem too. Tried every possible Chinese input method but no go. I must kill iBus to use Nemo. Apparently not a new problem. A internet wide search mentions variations of this problem going back to 2011. Seems to be a little finger pointing too. I guess iBus users are too small a group to matter!

I really like cinnamon but ..... sigh.... anyone check if this problem exists with Mate?

How about LM17 with Nautilus.... is that viable?

Interesting finding: im-config reports that I have two input methods active; that this is is unusual and not recommended and that this should not be done unless absolutely necessary.
I'm not sure what this means. Does it refer to US English + Chinese Pinyin which is what I see in the widget? I need both. I do 99% of my work in US English but I activate the iBus Chinese-Pinyin method when I'm preparing study materials for my 7 y.o. who is studying Mandarin. Is this what they meay by "two input methods" or perhaps I misconfigured iBus while testing different Chinese input methods. I just don't know.

My configuration may be a bit tangled. I started out with Ubuntu 12.04 but replaced Unity with Cinnamon and Nautilus with Nemo, which was recommended with Cinnamon. Later I updated to 13.04 where I did all the experimenting with input methods. After they dropped all support for 13.04 I did a clean install of LM17 but restored my Home folder thereby restoring all my old settings. It's possible there are some conflicts in settings here, I guess. I have no idea how to strip out all settings which could be involved and/or do a "clean install" of iBus and/or Nemo. OTOH, there is no evidence that such a project would cure the problem and I barely have enough time to write this.

So we just wait and see........ I suppose.
JerryKu

Post by JerryKu »

I bump into this situation and thought there is something wrong with my file permission setting, try several combination and failed. Google lead me to this thread.

My work around is to remove Ibus and use Gcin instead. Gcin is not rock solid, though. If you press Ctrl+Shift to switch between different input method, it just disappear. Fortunately this can be solved by firing up terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T), enter 'gcin &', and exit.
torea

Post by torea »

I have the exact same problem!
Linux Mint 17 cinnamon with ibus for japanese input.
I haven't found any workaround on Google...
amirizzuan

Post by amirizzuan »

Hi all. I have the same exact problem here. Thank goodness I have "Caja" as a backup because I installed the "MATE" Desktop Environment too. This problem really annoys me.

I am on:-
DISTRIB_ID=LinuxMint
DISTRIB_RELEASE=17.1
DISTRIB_CODENAME=rebecca
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca"
$ uname -a
Linux linuxmint 3.13.0-37-generic #64-Ubuntu SMP Mon Sep 22 21:28:38 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
[Note: Upgraded from Linux Mint 17].
rlindau
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Nemo excruciatingly slow when renaming files

Post by rlindau »

I am having what I think is the same problem, or at least the same symptom - Nemo 2.6.7 under Mint 17.2 is incredibly slow / unresponsive when I attempt to rename files. It takes 5-10 sec or so to recognize each of my keyboard inputs (e.g., moving cursor, deleting characters, typing characters). If I'm patient, it eventually works. I see other posters are encountering this problem when using ibus / Asian character sets; I myself do not have ibus installed and am using just the default English character set. I may just look for a different file manager (perhaps the one from Mate, which I had used before installing 17.2).
ninomrki
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ninomrki »

So, I just upgraded from Mint 17 to Mint 17.2 and all worked fine except Nemo, which was incredibly slow. It seems that disabling the sidebar (hit F9) makes it run faster. It looks uglier, but works better.
Home is where the Wi-Fi is.

Registered Linux user #562302
ninomrki
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ninomrki »

Right, so I played with it a little (that's what she said) and it seems the problem is with shortcuts in the sidebar. First picture below shows how the sidebar looks when Nemo lags and the second one shows how sidebar looks when Nemo works fine:

Home is where the Wi-Fi is.

Registered Linux user #562302
blackoutworm
Level 2
Level 2

Post by blackoutworm »

Any fix yet?
I've been having this problem for a few weeks now.
stevedonato
Level 2
Level 2

Nemo can't rename files & Super slow copy/cut/paste

Post by stevedonato »

Not only is the rename slow but folder display of a large number of files, copy & move are also unacceptably SUPER slow real Crap design. Better programs written by 6th graders. The whole Linux Mint system based on Ubuntu 14.04+ (mint 17-17.2) seems to have terrible file features and is Super slow and has very poor multi tasking. The Debian version of 17.2 is just as bad.
How can they say Mint 17+ is a Stable release when the main Major component (File manager) Stinks. It is a single task design. If you Copy or Move a large group of files and try to do anything else that requires files, it says "waiting to complete move or copy". What is this all about?
Windows, I'm sorry to say has a file manager 1000% better than Nemo. (Not that I am a windows fan).
In Nemo you cannot even empty the trash during a Nemo large move /copy function. Ubuntu is the same. Maybe time to redesign all major interfaces. SCO Unix from the 1970s-1980s was 100 times faster then Mint or Ubuntu and that was on x486 CPU processors. Thousands of Mint users are complaining about this? Did they write the Nautilus extensions that they now call Nemo, in COBOL?
Another poor file oriented design in Linux Mint is when you open/click the 'Computer' launcher and see all your disks on the left sidebar, a right click does not offer 'Open with" option so even if you have other file managers installed, you are forced to open them with the Slow Nemo. The only way around this is to replace Nemo as the default system wide file manager. This can only be done by renaming Nemo to something else and pointing the nemo Link to point to the new file manager (pcmanfm file manager is my choice). I have done this simple change and it works.
Just by setting the default file manager from the right click "open with" is not enough for all file functions.
Sailor in Florida
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Nemo can't rename files

Post by Cosmo. »

stevedonato wrote:Better programs written by 6th graders.
Why don't you do this yourself? At least you claim to know which knowledge is needed for that, something what nobody can competently judge without having those knowledge.

Changing the title for your post does not change the fact, that except the first quarter of the first sentence of your post is quite off topic here and doesn't add anything for analyzing or resolving the problem (which I cannot reproduce here, but that does not mean, that it might not exist under some conditions).
stevedonato
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Nemo can't rename files best be rewritten by 6th graders

Post by stevedonato »

As per your suggestion, I will write a replacement for Nemo (the Tortoise in the race with the Hare). I think I might call it "Hare-Nemo".
As far as other parts of my complaint being off topic, after all, this is a Linux Mint forum and, one can see hundreds of people complain about Mint's various components being buggy, especially the fact it is being called Stable. What, Just because it's base of Ubuntu is being called stable by it's developers? If we make all issues/complaints so Granular (Narrow topic), most users will not know of all the other major issues they may face with Linux Mint 17.0->17.2 (so far).
I'll let the Forum know when "Hare-Nemo" is ready.
As far as you not being able to reproduce the slowness of Nemo. IF you have a 2-3 TB drive (or any available drive) try filling at folder with 1-3 thousand files (those files can simply be 1 byte each) and see how long it take Nemo to display a screen full of file names. It will be perhaps 1/2 min to 1minute. Then open the same folder with either file manager (available with synaptic or apt-get) "pcmanfm" or "spacefm" it will take .5 seconds. That is, instantly
Cosmo. wrote:
stevedonato wrote:Better programs written by 6th graders.
Why don't you do this yourself? At least you claim to know which knowledge is needed for that, something what nobody can competently judge without having those knowledge.
Changing the title for your post does not change the fact, that except the first quarter of the first sentence of your post is quite off topic here and doesn't add anything for analyzing or resolving the problem (which I cannot reproduce here, but that does not mean, that it might not exist under some conditions).
Sailor in Florida
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

I did not say, that complaints are off topic, I wrote they are off topic here = in this thread, which is about renaming. All other topics are hijacking of a thread and will definitely not reply to them.
hissingshark

Post by hissingshark »

I too am experiencing this.

But I first noticed it in Handbrake, when trying to change the name of the output file. Mouse and keyboard were appallingly unresponsive. I gave up and opted to rename them afterwards in nemo, only then discovering the same problem there as everyone else.
This ibus is not installed on my system, so I can't try removing that.

Any other fixes please? This is ridiculous!
hissingshark

Post by hissingshark »

Oh. It appears to be affecting gedit as well. I was hoping to make changes in there and then cut and paste it elsewhere, but that's a fail too.
The terminal seems immune though.

Any updates on this?
hpmital
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hpmital »

I too have been having trouble renaming files - I use Mint 17 LTRelease, Cinnamon, 64 bit. May be because I use ibus too. But thanks to helpful information in this forum, I installed pcmanfm and have found it to be much better in all respects. I have 2 questions: Is there any disadvantage if I switch over to it as a default file manager? And , what is the simplest method of making it the default in place of nemo? Many thanks for help.
LeBoy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LeBoy »

Any news on this issue?
I just did a super fresh install of Mint Cinnamon 64-bit and now renaming in Nemo is close to impossible. It seems to me that the problem may be related to a broke "Input Method" configuration. I can imagine how this happened to me since I just did a standard English US keyboard installation.

Return to “Cinnamon”