MATE 17 menu popping under other windows

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
unprinted
Level 2
Level 2

MATE 17 menu popping under other windows

Post by unprinted »

It hasn't always done this, but at the moment, if I try to look at the places / applications menu, it appears underneath all other windows on the screen. You can only see it after minimising them (and then clicking on the menu button again!)

I could almost understand it being underneath an 'always on top' one, but shouldn't it be 'always on top' itself?

Where's the setting for this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ofb

Re: MATE 17 menu popping under other windows

Post by ofb »

Just tested my Mate 17 64bit. Menu will end up under 'Always on Top' windows, but not normal windows. So sounds like it's not a settings item, but a glitch specific to your box.

If you're 32bit, say so and I'll fire up one of those boxes.
unprinted
Level 2
Level 2

Post by unprinted »

Yes, I'm 32 bit.
ofb

Post by ofb »

The 32bit Mate 17 box also behaves correctly.

What a strange glitch. Immediately I cannot imagine what could be causing this, especially as it is random.
unprinted
Level 2
Level 2

Post by unprinted »

Just to be annoying, it is working fine today, popping over exactly the same windows it was going under yesterday.

I've done nothing, including not shutting down / rebooting between the two.
ofb

Post by ofb »

Next time it does, see if using the Menu key (aka Windows key) makes any difference. It shouldn't, but we're well into the territory of "shouldn't". May as well collect observations on this new experience. Also check it it goes under full-screen windows.

When you start, does Panel always load okay? In 16 I had random trouble with it not appearing, and forgetting to load the Menu button. Thiis is gone in 17, but before the switch I also changed displays and resolutions, and noticed the random problem hadn't been showing up.
JerryFox

Post by JerryFox »

I have the same problem on the 64-bit system.

The menu appears when I three times click with left mouse button on the Menu icon. Window key behaviour is not clear for me.

Has someone a tip???

Thanks!

J.
JvH
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JvH »

Hello,
On my system, it looks like enabling the 'Enhanced Zoom Desktop' plugin causes this.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

It hasn't always done this, but at the moment, if I try to look at the places / applications menu, it appears underneath all other windows on the screen. You can only see it after minimising them (and then clicking on the menu button again!)
Had the same anomaly for a couple days but did not make time to address it--but as mentioned it definitely was annoying.
If I clicked the menu button the menu would open beneath an open window, click the menu button a second time to close the menu, and click it a third time to reopen and it
would open normally over the open window.

I have not seen the problem in a few days so mostly forgot about it.
Mate 17v2 64bit
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

In my case Cairo-Dock causes this issue--repeatable.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
oniondreams

Post by oniondreams »

I had this problem on mint 17.1 when I was running Compiz instead of Marco. But I managed to solve it on both my computers by going inte the CompizConfig settings manager, going into "general settings" (not sure about the english naming since im using swedish, but where you assing different key bindings, manage display settings etc), opening the tab "focus and raise behaviour" and changing the "focus prevention level" to off. I hope this helps!
JvH
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JvH »

oniondreams wrote:I had this problem on mint 17.1 when I was running Compiz instead of Marco. But I managed to solve it on both my computers by going inte the CompizConfig settings manager, going into "general settings" (not sure about the english naming since im using swedish, but where you assing different key bindings, manage display settings etc), opening the tab "focus and raise behaviour" and changing the "focus prevention level" to off. I hope this helps!
Thank you so much oniondreams! I tried your solution yesterday, and it seems to solve the problem. Now I can finally use Compiz magnification without breaking Mint menu functionality! Thanks!!!
oniondreams

Post by oniondreams »

My pleasure! ^^

Return to “MATE”