<DECIDED> LMDE to be based on Stable, not on Testing.

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2

Would you like LMDE to be based on Debian Stable instead of Debian Testing in the future?

Poll ended at Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:24 am

Yes
55%
No
45%

Total votes: 80

xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: <DECIDED> LMDE to be based on Stable, not on Testing.

Post by xenopeek »

SolydXK was using the same mechanism as LMDE; take periodic updates from Debian testing as an "Update Pack"--or UP--a few times per year.
RytronII
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RytronII »

xenopeek wrote:SolydXK was using the same mechanism as LMDE; take periodic updates from Debian testing as an "Update Pack"--or UP--a few times per year.
Hi xenopeek. Was that a reply to my post? If so, thanks. :wink:
Husse: "Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it."
axisofevil
Level 4
Level 4

Post by axisofevil »

If I want to install LMDE soon (and I do) should I install the UP8 DVD or will that cease to work in November?
I don't want to do these delete and replace installs, as in standard Mint.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

If you install LMDE now, you won't have to reinstall once it locks to Debian stable.
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

Am I correct in assuming that we won't see Cinnamon 2.2 until the Jesse freeze, and our move to stable?
computer noob

Post by computer noob »

I think this will be a good step for LMDE... However, I'm done with LMDE. I switched to Manjaro; the rolling release is more suited to my preferences, and it's one step deeper into the Linux world. Linux Mint is an amazing user-friendly distro, and it kicked off my Linux lifestyle, allowing me to finally say goodbye to MS :D If I ever need a rock solid distro that anyone can use, I know where to look :wink:
py-thon

Post by py-thon »

computer noob wrote:I switched to Manjaro; the rolling release is more suited to my preferences
I considered that as well but right now I am not in the mood for all the resulting changes (moving from Debian to Arch, Mate only as a community edition which might not last). I can live with LMDE based on stable (or track testing) for the remaining lifetime of my current PC and decide anew when need arises.
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

computer noob wrote:I think this will be a good step for LMDE...
I agree. And the rolling model is not really necessary to have a stable and useful system.
Last edited by xfrank on Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Active Distros in my computers: LM21.1 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Let's take further discussion about alternative distros to Chat about Linux forum. Let's keep on topic about LMDE here.
daniel.martello

Post by daniel.martello »

Hi Community! i am a brand new member of the Forum, so please excuse my ignorance. I moved to LMDE some days ago.

Regarding this discusión about moving LMDE from testing to stable debian version I found that one of the main "drawbacks" is that with "testing" the OS is considered a semi-rolling one while with "stable" it is not. I understood that a semi-rolling OS will continuously update some parts of it while other core parts remain the same. I also understood the difference of a testing version vs an stable version. But I fail to see why a stable debian based LMDE can't still works as a semi-rolling OS

I have also read that even though LMDE will use stable debian we could still force it to point to testing version. Is that really true? If this is so, I don't see why we are discussing about it :-)

I will appreciate the experts comments

Thanks
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

LMDE 2 will be the combination of software from Debian stable + software provided by Linux Mint. When you shift the base from stable to testing, you introduce newer versions of libraries than what the software from Linux Mint has been developed for and tested with. Hence, you will eventually break stuff if you go that route. Sure, if you don't use Cinnamon, don't use MATE, and don't use the Mint tools or other software provided by Linux Mint it should work fine to switch to Debian testing. But then, you're basically just running Debian testing :| So why not just use Debian testing, if that is what you want to use.

You can still upgrade from one release to a next without reinstalling. Might be helpful to understand the lifecycle of a Debian release to place Debian testing: http://debian-handbook.info/browse/stab ... cycle.html.
daniel.martello

Post by daniel.martello »

You made perfectly clear what will be the risks/drawbacks of trying to force new LMDE based on stable debian to work with testing.

Thanks also for the Debian document you sent. Of course I haven't yet read it

I got some good hints of the semi-rolling discussion in your own explanation

When a new Debian stable release is done, a new LMDE release would be done also. Extending the steps for how to upgrade Debian stable to a new release for the Linux Mint repositories, I think you would be able to upgrade LMDE in place also. This does not make it a rolling release! LMDE based on Debian testing is a semi-rolling release base system--you never have to upgrade from one release to a next, as unlike with Debian stable the Debian testing repositories get new major releases of software all the time (with LMDE only with Update Packs, hence semi-rolling; and yes Debian testing gets frozen for a while leading up to a new Debian release).
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

LMDE 2 has been released a while ago. Topic locked.

Return to “LMDE Archive”