First time using Mint Need some howtos

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kiwi-Hawk

First time using Mint Need some howtos

Post by Kiwi-Hawk »

Hi

I have one ot two small issues to sort out (Very nice by the way)

I have a Logitech MX5000 Blue tooth keyboard and mouse that gives me problems,.. it seems to loose the blue tooth signal
and will not connect when it is there,.. this device works under Ear-Music with no problems and I would like to fix this please

When I got to the network tools to change and setup my network eg: set my domain/work group the tools let me select eth0 but tell me me this does not exist some I have no way to configure this or is this a job for the console editing text files?

I have 3 drives all Linux ext3 2 have media on them and I' like mount them at boot so I can update data on them over my network,.. do I need edit fstab to do this? if so and example please as I'm not so hot at those switch's

Edit:

Forgot to ask,.. is Elssa ok with fihis distro or what media center software is besst suited to use

Cheers
Kiwi-Hawk
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: First time using Mint Need some howtos

Post by 67GTA »

Welcome to Mint. It is better to ask one question per thread. You might get more replies that way. If someone knows the answer to only one of your questions, they might not answer. I can help you with mounting your partitions/drives. Open a terminal and post the output of

Code: Select all

sudo fdisk -l
. This will list your partitions/drives. Then in a terminal, mount the partitions you want with the mount command in the directory you want. Most people mount them in /media.

sudo mount /dev/sdax /media
You will have to replace sdax or hdax with whatever the fdisk command reports. Then go to /etc/mtab in the file manager. The entries for the partitions/drives you mounted will be temporarily shown here while they are mounted. Copy and paste the entries in to the end of the /etc/fstab file(controls mounting at boot). You have to have root power to edit this file. Open a terminal and run

sudo gedit /etc/fstab
This will open the fstab file with the gedit text editor with root powers so you can paste the /etc/mtab entries of the partitions/drives you want to the fstab file. Save and reboot, and they should be mounted automatically. Post back if I confused you :D Post new threads in the correct sections for your others questions so hopefully you will get more help.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
Kiwi-Hawk

Post by Kiwi-Hawk »

Hi

Thanks for the help and good advise too,..

I can edit fstab ok I'm jus not sure what switch's eg:

/dev/sda2 /media/music <from here on>
/dev/sda5 /media/movies <so it mounts with correct permissions>

and where in fstab to put it, it looks like the format has changed a little over time

I moved the the hard drive mounting area too

Cheers
Kiwi-Hawk
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

Here is some fstab info for future reference: http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/fstab.html It would be easier if you could mount them manually and post the lines from /etc/mtab here. Then I can help you edit them to suit your needs. When you add them to /etc/fstab, just paste them at the bottom of the file. Just start a new line at the bottom(one line for each partition/drive).
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
Kiwi-Hawk

Post by Kiwi-Hawk »

Hi

Thanks for that,.. it did help me understand the stats in the file and what they did so I could put the right
stuff in the right place,.. it's all good now and work'n fine

Cheers
Kiwi-Hawk

Return to “Hardware Support”