installing Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
coolmanoh

installing Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon

Post by coolmanoh »

I have a DVD with Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon which I am getting ready to install on a new computer with Windows 7 (64-bit). Should the CMOS setup be modified so the computer attempts to boot first to the CD-ROM?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: installing Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon

Post by xenopeek »

Linux Mint 16 has reached end of support this Thursday. You really shouldn't want to install it. Please get Linux Mint 17. See here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 8&t=173380

But yes, once you have Linux Mint 17 on a DVD you'll have to change your BIOS' boot order so the DVD is booted from before your hard disk.
coolmanoh

Post by coolmanoh »

There appear to be 4 different versions of Linux Mint 17. I need a guide or something to help me decide which version is best for me.
ClutchDisc

Post by ClutchDisc »

coolmanoh wrote:There appear to be 4 different versions of Linux Mint 17. I need a guide or something to help me decide which version is best for me.
What is your hardware? CPU, RAM? Thanks
nomko

Post by nomko »

coolmanoh wrote:There appear to be 4 different versions of Linux Mint 17. I need a guide or something to help me decide which version is best for me.
  • Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon
    A fork of Gnome 3 using the Cinnamon desktop. More intended for newer systems with enough memory (2 gig and above), fast CPU. Could give problems on low-memory/low-spec systems due to a higher system demand.
  • Linux Mint 17 Mate
    A fork of Gnome2. Intended for systems with low memory/low specifications. Will run perfect on newer systems as well.
  • Linux Mint 17 Xfce
    Easy to use desktop environment. Specially intended for low-spec/low-memory systems. Runs also perfect on newer systems.
  • Linux Mint 17 KDE
    Desktop environment with lost of eye-candy, whistles and bells. Highly configurable and not suitable for old (low-memory/low-spec) systems due to the very high system demand of KDE.
To give you a good advise we need to know your system specifications. Run the following terminal command and place the output here:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
coolmanoh

Post by coolmanoh »

My motherboard is MSI A88X-G43 with 8 GB RAM. My processor is AMD A8 5600K.
To whoever said "Run the following terminal command...", what command are you referring to?
ClutchDisc

Post by ClutchDisc »

coolmanoh wrote:To whoever said "Run the following terminal command...", what command are you referring to?
inxi -Fxz
teilnehmer

AW: Re: installing Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon

Post by teilnehmer »

coolmanoh wrote:My motherboard is MSI A88X-G43 with 8 GB RAM. My processor is AMD A8 5600K.
To whoever said "Run the following terminal command...", what command are you referring to?
Just in case your puzzlement was not the actual command but more to do with the context: You enter such commands in the (Linux!) terminal. The easiest way to do that is (either in a system started from a live DVD or from an installed system) by choosing "Terminal" from the menu. This opens a white-on-black box where you can input text.
Should you be unfamiliar with this, don't panic - it's just your Operating System without all the make up. Help on the forums usually involves the terminal, because output is in text and easier to share. Also, it's often way quicker.
In case you know all this: Never mind, and sorry to've bored you.
By the way, if you're running Windows right now, you of course can't enter that command, since it's a Linux one.

The command in question would give detailled info about your computer specs. If the information on the different versions helped you already, don't bother with the command.

Since Linux uses Live-DVDs (i.e., you start them from a DVD to get a sneak peek, and they don't change anything on your PC unless you choose to install them), you can check out the version. I recommend Cinnamon from personal preference.
nomko

Post by nomko »

coolmanoh wrote:My motherboard is MSI A88X-G43 with 8 GB RAM. My processor is AMD A8 5600K.
That refers to the part under CODE: SELECT ALL, that's a terminal command. And the terminal command inxi -Fxz will show relevant information about your system we need to see the specifications of your system. This complies with forum rule no. 5 about providing details as mush as possible.
nomko

Post by nomko »

coolmanoh wrote: My motherboard is MSI A88X-G43 with 8 GB RAM. My processor is AMD A8 5600K.
Again, not much details here.... Please run that terminal command to provide us more info about your system instead of discussing that terminal command which won't help you, me or others.

At first glance, your motherboard seems pretty new (not some outdated motherboard) and you have more that sufficient RAM to run Cinnamon. But i like to know your graphic card device and some other details so we can advise about driver(s) and issues with (onboard) devices.
coolmanoh

Post by coolmanoh »

I cannot run the terminal command you refer to since my OS is Windows 7 and I have no version of Linux installed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Hence the suggestion was made to boot from the Linux Mint DVD, from which you can then run that command and share its output here. Booting from the Linux Mint DVD allows you to test Linux Mint, without yet installing it or changing anything on your computer (you do that by clicking on the "Install Linux Mint" you'll find on the desktop there). To boot from the DVD, yes you have to go into your BIOS and enable to boot from DVD and set the boot priority such that the DVD is booted from before the hard disk.
coolmanoh

Post by coolmanoh »

I booted to the Linux mint 16 disk, brought up the Terminal window and entered the command. Now I need a way to get all that info into a document that can either be printed or converted to a file that can be transferred to Windows, because it is simply too much data to copy by hand.
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

Easy enough. Run the command again. Then select the output with your mouse, just like you would in a word document (hold down left mouse button and move the it over the text). Right-click and "copy". Then you can paste it back here.

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
coolmanoh

Post by coolmanoh »

To gtsfer: You have to be joking! In order to run the command I have to first boot up using the Linux disk. I can then highlight the output just as you said. Then, in order to get back to the Linux Mint forum, I have to reboot to Windows 7. During that process my computer will be OFF for at least a few seconds. What do you think will happen to that "copy" during that period of time?
slipstick
Level 6
Level 6

Post by slipstick »

Use the Firefox browser included on the live DVD to get back to the forum - look on the Menu under "Internet" to find it. Or alternatively, paste the data to a text document on a USB stick, reboot to Windows and read the data from the USB stick. If you choose this method, be sure to save the document to the USB stick - don't just hit "Save" as that will just save it to memory and it will be lost when you reboot. You will have to select the correct volume (disk) to save it to.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

coolmanoh wrote:To gtsfer: You have to be joking! In order to run the command I have to first boot up using the Linux disk. I can then highlight the output just as you said. Then, in order to get back to the Linux Mint forum, I have to reboot to Windows 7. During that process my computer will be OFF for at least a few seconds. What do you think will happen to that "copy" during that period of time?
Ummmm, yeah, no joke intended! :lol: Do exactly what slipstick said. I'm guessing you haven't ever booted into live mode yet. You can do all sorts of good things in there, browsing the internet is one of them (via Firefox). If you copy and paste the output of that command back here you won't need to use a flash stick.
EmpireITtech

Post by EmpireITtech »

If you're really wanting to see what a Mint version will run like, use the Live ISO here: Now these are all 64-bit, assuming that's what you want based off the specs you've posted so far. So without knowing your Graphics Card info, I'd say that you've probably got a machine that can easily support using Mint Cinnamon. I will also say that Cinnamon, imo, is the easiest transition desktop environment from the Windows world to the Linux world. The Linux Mint community is hands down the best out there, again imo, so please always feel free to continue asking questions to better understand the Linux OS you're moving to. Remember, with the Live ISO you can access the web using Firefox, like others have posted about as well. This means you can actually run that command and post the output in here as outlined.

Have you decided whether or not you're installing Mint alongside Win7? Or are you wiping your Win7 OS and overwriting it with Mint?

*NOTE* The Live ISO's will run slower than the OS will once you've installed it to your HDD. Sometimes people think that's how it'll be once they install, but it's only that way bc you're running it from a DVD or thumbdrive.
coolmanoh

Post by coolmanoh »

OK, I got it. Here's the output from the command:

System: Host: mint Kernel: 3.11.0-12-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.1) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 16 Petra
Machine: Mobo: MSI model: A88X-G43 (MS-7793) version: 2.0 Bios: American Megatrends version: V3.3 date: 12/10/2013
CPU: Quad core AMD A8-5600K APU with Radeon HD Graphics (-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 28738.6
Clock Speeds: 1: 1400.00 MHz 2: 1400.00 MHz 3: 1400.00 MHz 4: 1400.00 MHz
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Trinity [Radeon HD 7560D] bus-ID: 00:01.0
X.Org: 1.14.3 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1600x900@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD ARUBA GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 9.2.1 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] FCH Azalia Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2
Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Trinity HDMI Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:01.1
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.11.0-12-generic
Network: Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
driver: r8169 ver: 2.3LK-NAPI port: e000 bus-ID: 01:00.0
IF: eth0 state: up speed: 10 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 1504.3GB (27.8% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: ST1000DM003 size: 1000.2GB temp: 35C
2: USB id: /dev/sdb model: My_Passport_0730 size: 500.1GB temp: 0C 3: USB id: /dev/sdc model: Cruzer size: 4.0GB temp: 0C
Partition: ID: / size: 3.5G used: 57M (2%) fs: overlayfs
RAID: No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 4.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 3.0
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 166 Uptime: 24 min Memory: 500.7/7107.1MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.1 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4
coolmanoh

Post by coolmanoh »

To EmpireTech:
I intend to run Linux along with Windows 7 (dual boot).
Question: The 1.3 GB ISO for Cinnamon, is that the entire file? If I can't download that large a file (mainly because of time constraints), what site do I go to buy a DVD? (I already bought the Linux Mint 16 version but don't remember the site.)
Unless I hear something negative about the data I posted, I intend to get the Cinnamon version.
Thanks for your help.
coolmanoh

Return to “Beginner Questions”