SOLVED - How do I prep an XP box for dual boot LM17?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
wilbobob
Level 3
Level 3

SOLVED - How do I prep an XP box for dual boot LM17?

Post by wilbobob » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:15 am

I've volunteered to put LM17 on a friends desktop. Currently XP 32bit. I had a look with the inbuilt defragger and it's happy that few files are fragmented, but they are spread all over the disk. There is plenty of storage space left, the disk is only about a third full. I propose to copy off all the data and delete temp files etc, but if even then there are files spread all over will I be able to resize the windows partition?
Do you have recommendations for resizing software? I'd be happy using Gparted if I knew it wouldn't break anything. I'm anxious not to have to reinstall the XP, as I'm not sure the installation discs are available.
Links to how to's would be appreciated, I've not had much luck so far googling.
Apologies for asking questions here about MS products, but it it is for the greater good, so hopefully excusable.
Last edited by wilbobob on Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go Steady, but keep going

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Re: How do I prepare an XP box for dual boot LM17?

Post by jimallyn » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:29 am

What somebody told me to do, and has always worked well for me is: Boot into XP in Safe Mode. Turn off Restore points, and turn off the paging file. Then run the defragger, regardless of whether it thinks it needs to be run or not. Then do your Linux install. You can use gparted from the install CD, or run it from a Rescue CD or from another distro like Puppy Linux. I usually use gparted from Puppy Linux, and have never had any problems with it breaking anything. After you do the Linux install, then you can turn Restore points and paging file back on in XP.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

wilbobob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wilbobob » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:16 am

Thanks Jimallyn, I'll give that a try when I get access to the machine in a few days time.

Pierre
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Pierre » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:14 am

use the Gparted to shrink the XP back somewhat,
apply & exit
- then re-boot
let the XP "check" the hdd for any errors.

reboot back into the Mint O/S,
& continue with the install.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Jack Daniels Esq
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jack Daniels Esq » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:42 am

wilbobob wrote:I've volunteered to put LM17 on a friends desktop. Currently XP 32bit. I had a look with the inbuilt defragger and it's happy that few files are fragmented, but they are spread all over the disk. There is plenty of storage space left, the disk is only about a third full......... Apologies for asking questions here about MS products, but it it is for the greater good, so hopefully excusable.

Hey

In XP hit computer, manage - invoke both full defrag & checkdisk - it will ask to do so on reboot - agree, exit & reboot ...

Leave MS alone if at all possible so that it doesnt go pear-shaped ... you might want to repeat the above several times

Then do the live mint install & repartition thingy in total confidence - get the data off the machine also

Regards

Jack

wilbobob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wilbobob » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:24 am

Thanks Jack and Pierre for the further input. I'll post my experience when it's all over. Should be able to get hold of the machine in the next few days.
Bob

wilbobob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wilbobob » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:38 pm

Thanks guys,
That went better than I expected. Copied off files to be retained, Deleted all the temp files and similar logs. Emptied trash. Defragged. Resized Windows C drive with gparted, restarted and let Windows do its checks. Added a D drive in windows and put the My Documents folder in there. Installed Mint 17 Mate 32bit on the newly freed up capacity. Made Simlinks from the Linux home folders back to the Windows My Documents/My Photos folders. Symlinks worked a treat last night, didn't this morning. I suspect that this may be because I formatted the D drive as NTFS. I might try formatting it FAT32 to see if that works better. Or just make a smaller FAT32 drive for those files that must be shared until the owner decides she can ditch XP.

Return to “Other topics”