VMWare and Samba

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
georgetoon
Level 3
Level 3

VMWare and Samba

Post by georgetoon »

I have VMWare server installed and running. I have win XP running in virtual machine.:) Neat!

Now, I'm trying to figure out how to set up a shared folder form my LinuxMint OS to the Win XP virtual OS. I'm not sure what I need to do. I've tried setting up a shared folder in Samba, but something it's not connecting.

I'm missing a few steps somewhere along the way. Does anyone know where I can this info to set up a shared folder? I'd like to share files betwwen Linux Mint and Win XP in virtual machine.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
miket

Re: VMWare and Samba

Post by miket »

HI GeorgeToon,
georgetoon wrote:I have VMWare server installed and running. I have win XP running in virtual machine.:) Neat!

Now, I'm trying to figure out how to set up a shared folder form my LinuxMint OS to the Win XP virtual OS. I'm not sure what I need to do. I've tried setting up a shared folder in Samba, but something it's not connecting.

I'm missing a few steps somewhere along the way. Does anyone know where I can this info to set up a shared folder? I'd like to share files betwwen Linux Mint and Win XP in virtual machine.
There's a posting Here that has everything you need to know to get it working.

Enjoy !

Mike.
georgetoon
Level 3
Level 3

Re: VMWare and Samba

Post by georgetoon »

AvanceIT wrote:HI GeorgeToon,
georgetoon wrote:I have VMWare server installed and running. I have win XP running in virtual machine.:) Neat!

There's a posting Here that has everything you need to know to get it working.

Enjoy !

Mike.
Mike,

Thank you so much for this information.:) Last night, while trying to figure this out, I accidentally stumbled on a solution that worked for me.

Again, I'm not sure what happened but it occurred as a happy accident. I just have to make sue I can replicate it in the future. if you or anyone else can explainto me what I may have done tht made this work, I sure would appreciate it.:)

I opened WinXP in VMWare Server as a virtual machine.

In Linux Mint, I went to System Settings and opened Samba (under Networking and Internet). I made sure the workgroup name for my Linux computer was "WORKGROUP." Somewhere along the way, I recall a friend (Art Miller) telling me to make sure the workgroup names in Linux and Windows were set the same. I recall "Workgroup" as being the default name for Windows networking.
I then went into Win XP, went to My Network, clicked network workgroups, and Samba appeared. However, I was unable to access Linux (Samba) from Windows. clicking up one level and down again revealed a new entry called Vmmarkfree. Where this came form, I'm not sure.

i went to the Linux side, clicked on Remote places and Vmmarkfree came up. I clicked through it and nothing showed. I went back to WinXP, made sure that My documents was set for sharing (again, Art mentioned this tome in the past), went back to remote places clicked through, and bingo! I had access! i ws on the Windows system from Linux!

Again, I'm not sure what I did during all my hunting and pecking along the way. But, IO now have network access! I can drag and drop files and folders through the Linux end. i canshare as manyflders on the windows side and they show up through Remote places.:)

Again, not sure what I did or how Vmmarkfree came up, but it's working.:)

Hope this helps others in some small way.

Return to “Software & Applications”