Linux vs OS X | Which more secure?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Niely

Linux vs OS X | Which more secure?

Post by Niely »

Hello

I was actually wondering, a lot of people say that Mac OS X is a lot more secure then Linux + more suitable for pentesting, and programming.
Directly I clearly said: "No, Linux is more safe because safety is one of their main goals, there are also a lot more and better free tools for Linux available regarding pentesting and programming."

The other's reply was that you can run all tools available for Linux, also for Mac OS X + OS X is more secure for whatever reason.

But I was wondering, which is now actually more secure? Linux (Mint/Arch) or Mac OS X?
And which is the more suitable for Pentesting?
Which is the more suitable for programming?
And why? :)

Thanks for reading,
Niely
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
hexdef101

Re: Linux vs OS X | Which more secure?

Post by hexdef101 »

Depends on alot of things, but the simple answer is Linux. Here is why...

Linux seperates user and system level processes. This seperation is kernal level (maintained by the Iron Fist of Linux Torvalds)
While Apple claims to do similar, as the system is Closed Source almost no one can verify that apple doesn't simply incorperate backdoors around this seperation (its a good bet they do).

Also as Linux is Open Source there are Alot more eyes watching out just in case someone tries to sneak a backdoor into the kernal.
These eyes also have very large mouths attached that shout it to the heavens every time they catch something. Everything else is up to the Distro though, so some are more secure then others.
Niely

Post by Niely »

^Thanks a lot for your help! :)
Is Arch Linux for example good secured? Which is the best secured?

Maybe still other reasons why Linux is more secure and more suitable for pentesting/programming.
hexdef101

Post by hexdef101 »

as to programming. That depends greatly upon whats being programmed. If your making an app to run on windows, its better to use their system,same for Mac, and Linux. While building a Linux Program is possible on Windows/Mac, there are alot of things that you have to take into account because of system differances.

Pentesting I will leave up to those who actually know about that sorta thing
Niely

Post by Niely »

^Thanks for your reply. :)
That's true.

But let's say, I want to create a browser. Which OS is the most suitable for that? Linux with all his free tools and customizing? Or Windows/OS X with expensive tools?
(Of course you need to change a few things for each OS, but for the biggest part). :)
hexdef101

Post by hexdef101 »

Distro security differances are not That big an issue. Arch and those based on it are generally just as secure as any other Distro Base. I wouldn't worry greatly about that. I bet if you asked a 1000 differant linux users, you would get a 1000 different answers, as everyone has their favorite distro. Most of the security is Kernel Level so generally speaking its the same regardless of distro.
hexdef101

Post by hexdef101 »

Again I would say it depends on what system you want to run your browser on. That said I suppose Linux would take the lead because many of the actual tools are Free and Open Source.
Niely

Post by Niely »

^Thanks!
I exactly thought the same! :)
hexdef101 wrote:Distro security differances are not That big an issue. Arch and those based on it are generally just as secure as any other Distro Base. I wouldn't worry greatly about that. I bet if you asked a 1000 differant linux users, you would get a 1000 different answers, as everyone has their favorite distro. Most of the security is Kernel Level so generally speaking its the same regardless of distro.
Thanks.
They stated that 'the software around the kernel' was insecure.
hexdef101

Post by hexdef101 »

Of course they did. :D Thats just what I would expect they would say. After all you don't expect McDonalds to say Burger King is better. :lol:
Niely

Post by Niely »

Another question:
If XNU (Apple's kernel) is open-source, doesn't it have equal as much chance to get vulnerabilities found as Linux? Most security is kernel based...
ktheking

Post by ktheking »

Not much difference in both. They both are an adoption of MAC (Mandatory Access Control)

The discussion boils down to the difference between TrustedBSD, AppArmor and SElinux.

more here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandatory_access_control

Default Ubuntu : AppArmor
RHEL,CENTOS,etc. : SElinux
Mac OS X : TrustedBSD : http://www.trustedbsd.org/mac.html

Here's a nice overview of SElinux : http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-selinux/

If I'd run apache (proxy/reverse proxy)webservers I'd deffo go for SElinux over the trustedbsd from OSX.
But for regular desktop usage like mint, apparmor/trustedbsd/selinux are all good enough. Usually the real security risk lies between the chair and the keyboard. :lol:

Return to “Beginner Questions”