[Solved] Mint17 Installer crashed while partitioning disk

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hammingweight

[Solved] Mint17 Installer crashed while partitioning disk

Post by hammingweight »

Hi,

I've successfully installed Mint 12 and 13 (32- and 64-bit) before. I've just got a Toshiba Satellite L50, i7-4700MQ, 12 GB RAM, 750 GB HDD. It came with windows 8.1 but I don't want to keep that. I disabled Secure boot and UEFI. I'd now like to install Linux Mint 17. Unfortunately, no matter what I try when creating partitions I get the "Installer crashed screen" which I can't close. I managed to install a 64 bit version of Ubuntu 12.04 and a 32 bit version of Mint 13. Those installations didn't detect my ethernet connection.

With Mint 17, my internet connection is fine but no matter what options I select for the disk partitioning, it crashes.If i choose to earse the existing OS, i.e. install only Mint17, the old OS is lost (I don't have Windows 8.1 any more). Any ideas what's causing this or where I can find some logging that might offer some insight.

Thanks!
Carl
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Mint17 Installer crashed while partitioning disk

Post by austin.texas »

hammingweight wrote: I disabled Secure boot and UEFI.
If you disabled UEFI then you are intending to install Mint in non-UEFI mode, right?
So, did you change the partitioning from GPT to msdos? Or are you trying to install in non-UEFI mode to a GPT partitioned drive?
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Minterator

Post by Minterator »

Before installing run gparted > Device > Create partition table, and create a default "MS-DOS partition table" on the target disk.
hammingweight

Post by hammingweight »

Hi,

Thanks for the replies!
If you disabled UEFI then you are intending to install Mint in non-UEFI mode, right?
Yes. Should that be OK If I've switched off Secure Boot and switched to CSM?
Before installing run gparted > Device > Create partition table, and create a default "MS-DOS partition table" on the target disk.
Thanks, I tried that. It still crashes but I maybe I need to something else: After creating the msdos partition table, should I create partitions for swap, boot, home and then choose "Erase disk and install Linux Mint" or must I select "Something else" as the installation type? I'm just choosing "Erase disk" and that crashes?

If I need to create partitions, I presume that I create 4 partitions for grub, swap, root and home?

Thanks again,
Carl
hammingweight

Post by hammingweight »

From /var/log/installer/debug
Ubiquity 2.18.8-1linuxmint4
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "overlay-scrollbar"

(ubiquity:3240): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_radio_button_set_group: assertion '!g_slist_find (group, radio_button)' failed

(ubiquity:3240): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_radio_button_set_group: assertion '!g_slist_find (group, radio_button)' failed
update_release_notes_label()
/usr/lib/ubiquity/ubiquity/frontend/gtk_components/nmwidgets.py:18: Warning: Source ID 262 was not found when attempting to remove it
GLib.source_remove(self.timeout_id)
/usr/lib/ubiquity/ubiquity/frontend/gtk_components/nmwidgets.py:131: Warning: Source ID 277 was not found when attempting to remove it
GLib.source_remove(self.rows_changed_id)
/usr/lib/ubiquity/ubiquity/frontend/gtk_components/nmwidgets.py:18: Warning: Source ID 347 was not found when attempting to remove it
/usr/lib/ubiquity/ubiquity/frontend/gtk_components/nmwidgets.py:131: Warning: Source ID 362 was not found when attempting to remove it
/usr/lib/ubiquity/ubiquity/frontend/gtk_components/nmwidgets.py:18: Warning: Source ID 438 was not found when attempting to remove it
/usr/lib/ubiquity/ubiquity/frontend/gtk_components/nmwidgets.py:131: Warning: Source ID 452 was not found when attempting to remove it
/usr/lib/ubiquity/ubiquity/frontend/gtk_components/nmwidgets.py:18: Warning: Source ID 534 was not found when attempting to remove it
/usr/lib/ubiquity/ubiquity/frontend/gtk_components/nmwidgets.py:131: Warning: Source ID 619 was not found when attempting to remove it
/usr/lib/ubiquity/ubiquity/frontend/gtk_components/nmwidgets.py:18: Warning: Source ID 640 was not found when attempting to remove it
/usr/lib/ubiquity/ubiquity/frontend/gtk_components/nmwidgets.py:131: Warning: Source ID 715 was not found when attempting to remove it
/usr/lib/ubiquity/ubiquity/frontend/gtk_components/nmwidgets.py:18: Warning: Source ID 724 was not found when attempting to remove it
/usr/lib/ubiquity/ubiquity/frontend/gtk_components/nmwidgets.py:131: Warning: Source ID 787 was not found when attempting to remove it
/usr/lib/ubiquity/ubiquity/frontend/gtk_components/nmwidgets.py:18: Warning: Source ID 795 was not found when attempting to remove it
/usr/lib/ubiquity/ubiquity/frontend/gtk_components/nmwidgets.py:131: Warning: Source ID 810 was not found when attempting to remove it
/usr/lib/ubiquity/ubiquity/frontend/gtk_components/nmwidgets.py:18: Warning: Source ID 869 was not found when attempting to remove it
/usr/lib/ubiquity/ubiquity/frontend/gtk_components/nmwidgets.py:131: Warning: Source ID 884 was not found when attempting to remove it
debconf: DbDriver "passwords" warning: could not open /var/cache/debconf/passwords.dat: Permission denied
Exception caught in process_line:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/ubiquity/ubiquity/filteredcommand.py", line 145, in process_line
return self.dbfilter.process_line()
File "/usr/lib/ubiquity/ubiquity/debconffilter.py", line 430, in process_line
data = self.db.command(command, *params)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/debconf.py", line 66, in command
self.write.write("%s %s\n" % (command, ' '.join(map(str, params))))
ValueError: I/O operation on closed file.
Ubiquity 2.18.8-1linuxmint4
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "overlay-scrollbar"

(ubiquity:4970): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_radio_button_set_group: assertion '!g_slist_find (group, radio_button)' failed

(ubiquity:4970): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_radio_button_set_group: assertion '!g_slist_find (group, radio_button)' failed

(ubiquity:4970): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_set_allocation: assertion 'gtk_widget_get_visible (widget) || gtk_widget_is_toplevel (widget)' failed

(ubiquity:4970): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_set_allocation: assertion 'gtk_widget_get_visible (widget) || gtk_widget_is_toplevel (widget)' failed

/usr/lib/ubiquity/ubiquity/frontend/gtk_components/nmwidgets.py:18: Warning: Source ID 1182 was not found when attempting to remove it
/usr/lib/ubiquity/ubiquity/frontend/gtk_components/nmwidgets.py:131: Warning: Source ID 1197 was not found when attempting to remove it
No such schema 'com.canonical.indicator.session'
This looks like a bug in the installer UI to me?
Minterator

Post by Minterator »

I can sympathize, the first thing I do with my laptops is to delete the Windows partitions and install Linux Mint. Some laptops are quirky. First update the BIOS following Toshiba's instructions. Then google " Toshiba Satellite L50 ubuntu linux", it seems that others are having a similar problem. Some Samsung & Lenovo laptops are even known to "brick" when loading Linux. Check your BIOS settings, UEFI, etc., "Intel Rapid Start Technology" can prevent proper disk access. Make a fresh Mint 17 live desktop on a USB flash drive, boot in "recovery mode" and try again, also try installing on another medium, e.g. a 16 GB flash drive. It will work eventually, keep us up to date.
hammingweight

Post by hammingweight »

@Minterator Thanks!
You think that this is a Toshiba issue? I accept that there may be issues with the Toshiba BIOS but the logs look like the installer UI is misbehaving? This installer crashed message also seems to be pretty common on Google.

I'm curious what signs lead you to believe that this is the BIOS/Toshiba bug rather than a UI bug? For what it's worth, this laptop doesn't have an nvidia chipset but only Intel hd4600 (whatever that is).

Thanks again,
Carl
hammingweight

Post by hammingweight »

Something that leads me to believe that this installer is a bit flaky, is that when I click on "You may wish to rread the release notes", the installer crashes :(
hammingweight

Post by hammingweight »

So the installer can crash even without trying to partition the disk.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

hammingweight wrote:If I need to create partitions, I presume that I create 4 partitions for grub, swap, root and home?
There are many different options, and many different opinions. I believe the best setup is a / partition for the Operating System, of approx 15GB to 20GB. Then a swap partition slightly bigger than your installed ram. Finally, a large partition to serve either as /home or simply a data storage partition.
With a non-UEFI installation, there is no real need for a "grub" or boot partition, unless you are doing a LVM setup.

As for the installer crashes, how did you create your boot media? Is it USB or DVD?
You need to check the md5sum of the downloaded .iso file before burning a DVD.
How to check md5sum of DVD - http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 62#p695789

Is the Mint DVD working OK for the other programs, like gparted? It does sound like you have a faulty .iso download or faulty DVD or USB.

The error messages you posted do not indicate any sort of hardware failure. They indicate a configuration problem with the live Mint DVD.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
rbrick49
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rbrick49 »

It looks like you are trying to install mbr on a gpt hard drive. If you had windows 8 on the laptop and deleted it your hard drive would be GPT try installing mint inuefi mode, insert your disk boot go into bios chosse uefi mode and see what happens.
Minterator

Post by Minterator »

hammingweight wrote:@Minterator Thanks!
You think that this is a Toshiba issue? I accept that there may be issues with the Toshiba BIOS but the logs look like the installer UI is misbehaving? This installer crashed message also seems to be pretty common on Google.

I'm curious what signs lead you to believe that this is the BIOS/Toshiba bug rather than a UI bug? For what it's worth, this laptop doesn't have an nvidia chipset but only Intel hd4600 (whatever that is).

Thanks again,
Carl
Toshiba/BIOS is not buggy, it's simply made to work with Windows only. Hardware manufacturers share their hardware & proprietary technologies with Microsoft before releasing new products, but not so much with Linux because it's a small market and they don't make money from it. Toshiba makes their hardware work with Windows so that customers don't return stuff. So the Linux kernel team is always trying to catch up.

Likewise, LM17 is not buggy, it works fine with the vast majority of machines, it may just need a newer kernel. BTW, errors in log are not always meaningful. Try what I posted above, also see if your network is working. If you can make a persistent USB live desktop and update it to the latest kernel, might solve the problem.
physics.dchs

Post by physics.dchs »

I had the same problem. I was using a live DVD that came with a LinuxUser magazine (failed on two machines, 32-bit and 64-bit.) So, then I created a USB live installation with the current v2 iso and it worked!
hammingweight

Post by hammingweight »

wvThanks for all the replies.
It looks like you are trying to install mbr on a gpt hard drive. If you had windows 8 on the laptop and deleted it your hard drive would be GPT try installing mint inuefi mode, insert your disk boot go into bios chosse uefi mode and see what happens.
I managed to install Linux Mint 13 (32 bit) and Ubuntu 12.04 (64 bit) on the machine so I don't think that my drive is using a GPT any more. I can't boot the LM 17 disk in UEFI mode - it just hangs. That might be a BIOS setting that I missed somewhere I guess...
As for the installer crashes, how did you create your boot media? Is it USB or DVD?
You need to check the md5sum of the downloaded .iso file before burning a DVD.
It's a DVD. I don't have access to the ISO file that I downloaded that I used to burn the DVD. This however does NOT return the right checksum

Code: Select all

$ $ dd if=/dev/dvd bs=2048 count=675288 | md5sum
675288+0 records in
675288+0 records out
1382989824 bytes (1.4 GB) copied, 236.827 s, 5.8 MB/s
02a2075773fab2d317ea3ad06ebf17e2
The count of 675288 is what I used from isoinfo.

That being said, gparted seems to work OK. I can write to files on the disk after creating and mounting the partitions that I've created.
also see if your network is working
The network seems fine. Some of my postings have been from Firefox on LM17 running from the live DVD.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

So you have Mint 13 and Ubuntu installed, but no internet connection, and no Mint 17 .iso file. I would say that you need to use the net connection that you have with the live Mint DVD to download a new Mint 17 .iso. Save it on the hard drive, then boot Mint 13 to burn a new DVD (after checking the md5sum, of course).
If you have trouble saving it on the hard drive because of ownership/permissions problems, save it in Mint 13's /var/tmp folder. That folder is configured to allow access by any user.

Here are the details for downloading:
In the live Mint 17 DVD, open your file manager. Open the /var folder on the Mint 13 / partition. Right-click on the tmp folder > Open In Terminal. In the terminal enter the command:

Code: Select all

wget -c http://mirrors.usinternet.com/mint/images/linuxmint.com//stable/17/linuxmint-17-cinnamon-64bit-v2.iso
Of course, you can use a different mirror link from this page -
http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=158
or download the 32 bit if that is what you need, or a different flavor of Mint other than Cinnamon.
Linux Linx 2018
hammingweight

Re: [Solved] Mint17 Installer crashed while partitioning dis

Post by hammingweight »

@austin.texas and @physics.dhcs
It was, as you suspected, a corrupt ISO. Thanks!

Return to “Installation & Boot”