Reset password solutions don't work, LM17

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Mac291
Level 1
Level 1

Reset password solutions don't work, LM17

Post by Mac291 »

Numerous posts explain edit the 'quiet splash' line after boot to GRUB such that it reads ro quiet splash rw init=/bin/bash, reboot and you are logged into root w/o a password, then how to create a new password. After edit & reboot using F10, I receive error, bash: cannot set terminal process group (-1):Inappropriate ioctl for device, bash: no job control in this shell, dircolors: no SHELL environment variable, and no shell type option given, (none) /#.

The other option I found was booting from live disc, opening a terminal and "become root su -" w/I presume means typing "su -" <enter>. LM17 does not allow that command and wants a password, which is what I'm trying to reset in the first place.

I would appreciate anyone having definitive solution - meaning commands that work - for a plain vanilla LM17 install (downloaded/installed about 3 months ago). I simply want to look at my partitions and can't w/o a password. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something w/ "become root su -".

I found reset password (out of over 8000 hits) using the recovery mode from GRUB but it needed the original password. Not to be negative, but like many, I simply don't have time to wade thru 56 posts, trying step after step, only to be hit by errors. If this is what "learning LM" is about I very much doubt any book or pdf I've seen so far will cut the mustard.

Thanks in advance,

Mac
Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Reset password solutions don't work, LM17

Post by Mute Ant »

''look at my partitions and can't without a password'' Any Live-Session Linux distribution running from DVD or USB media will let you examine and copy anything that is out in the open. Encrypted data needs the proper password; you can still copy it, but you can't examine it. Is your data protected by encryption?
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".
Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual »

Mac291 wrote:I found reset password (out of over 8000 hits) using the recovery mode from GRUB but it needed the original password. Not to be negative, but like many, I simply don't have time to wade thru 56 posts, trying step after step, only to be hit by errors. If this is what "learning LM" is about I very much doubt any book or pdf I've seen so far will cut the mustard.
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword
Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant »

''...riable, and no shell type option given, (none) /#'' This method still works on Mint17, ignore all the messages. The # prompt means you are root. Switch the file system to read-and-write...

Code: Select all

mount -o remount,rw / 
...change the root password to something you will remember. I use phone numbers.

passwd root 
...change the admin password to the same...

passwd <your-admin-user-name-here> 
...synchronise and reboot...

sync ; init 6 
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".

Return to “Newbie Questions”