Aisle riot screen corruption Mint 17/ mate

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
leo.smith
Level 1
Level 1

Aisle riot screen corruption Mint 17/ mate

Post by leo.smith »

The problem is basically this: If I move a card off the window edge and back, it isn't getting redrawn properly.

It was the same both with Intel onboard graphics and Nvidia using the latest MINT supported nvidia driver.(331)

Compositing made no difference on or off

I cant reproduce it in any other application, so I suspect it is this version of aisle riot that doesn't play nice with the window manager or graphics toolkit

Anyone else got this problem?

Or have a fix?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Aisle riot screen corruption Mint 17/ mate

Post by kyphi »

It is not graphics driver related - I get it with nouveau or nvidia drivers.

The current installed version is 3.10. Check the aisleriot web site - the latest stable version is 3.12.1 which may solve the rendering problem.

Addendum: I have just installed version 3.12.1. Graphics still get distorted when going over the screen edge.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
leo.smith
Level 1
Level 1

Post by leo.smith »

Ah, thanks. So its a specific Aisle riot bug and it aint fixed...I may post this upstream then.
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

kyphi wrote:It is not graphics driver related - I get it with nouveau or nvidia drivers.

The current installed version is 3.10. Check the aisleriot web site - the latest stable version is 3.12.1 which may solve the rendering problem.

Addendum: I have just installed version 3.12.1. Graphics still get distorted when going over the screen edge.
I'm using v3.10.2 of Aisle Riot without problems.

4x AMD FX(tm)-4100 Quad-Core Processor
Memory 4030MB (874MB used)
Operating System Linux Mint 17 Qiana MATE
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
leo.smith
Level 1
Level 1

Post by leo.smith »

Well that is interesting. What window manager and so on then? It must be some interaction between (presumably) something aisle riot expects to happen, which the underlying layer - GTK/ X windows drivers - does not support.

I've had it with MATE, with compositing on and off, and using intel, nouveau, and nvidia drivers to date.

I have version 3.10.2 installed.
I am sure its an upstream bug, but in the absence of more definite info, I cant see who to report it to..

I did find a vague reference to it a couple of years back, and the fix was to turn off some kind of smart graphics mode, but I cant find that site again.

Nothing in the log files indicates any issues. Hmm
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

My LM17 MATE installation was just the basic one with the addition of a few applications (Scribus, Artha, KMMoney, Aisle Riot etc). Aisle Riot was installed via the Synaptic Package Manager.
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
omg2090

Post by omg2090 »

Sorry for necrobump, but I'm using Linux Mint 17.1 XFCE edition with a binary NVidia Driver and getting the same problem on Aisleriot 3.10.2-1. Turning on or off the compositing does not change anything.
Considering it is using GTK3 (and thus designed only for GNOME3), I don't think this bug will ever fixed.
Does anyone know good alternative of Aisleriot? KDE might have an equivalent but I think that would install too much dependencies.

EDIT: KPatience (kpat) actually does not have too much KDE dependencies than I initially thought, though I've had couple of Qt4 applications already installed.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install kpat
I got the list of following packages, at least for me (probably you get a lot more if you have no Qt applications):

kdegames-card-data kpat libattica0.4 libdlrestrictions1 libkdeclarative5
libkdecore5 libkdegames6abi1 libkdeui5 libkio5 libknewstuff3-4 libsolid4
libstreamanalyzer0 libstreams0
By default, you get no icons on the toolbar and menu. If that bothers you, you can install "oxygen-icon-theme".

sudo apt-get install oxygen-icon-theme
Just like I expected, KPatience has no graphical glitches as far as I can see, so that's Aisleriot's fault. Enjoy.

EDIT2: Most of the top-level menu items except "Move" are labeled "No text" in my PC. From the leftmost one, their intended labels are "Game", "Move", "Settings", and "Help". Don't worry, the submenus of them are intact and labeled correctly. I think this glitch can be solved by installing the KDE language packs... but doing so will pull the entrie KDE, so you'll have to live with it. It's still better than graphical glitch of Aisleriot, I think.
Last edited by omg2090 on Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
leo.smith
Level 1
Level 1

Post by leo.smith »

yep. Its all still there in mint 17.3 now. 3.10.2 aisleriot

Nothing has been done to fix it. No one cares. Both latest graphics devices (Nvidia/Intel) show the behaviour - new since I last posted.

I just accept that its how the thing behaves, and keep playing anyway.

Return to “Software & Applications”