Can I make Mint 17 load onto the ram like Puppy linux?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jatin Kaushal

Can I make Mint 17 load onto the ram like Puppy linux?

Post by Jatin Kaushal »

Hi there. I was wondering that if I can load linux mint 17 onto the RAM like puppy linux so that I can remove the live USB After boot. Is it possiable?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Can I make Mint 17 load onto the ram like Puppy linux?

Post by xenopeek »

awes

Post by awes »

in my live version of linux mint 17 on the boot I can choose 1 or 2, 2 shows advanced boot options.
one of them is toram (or similar), just press the number it is associated with (I think it was 6, but I am not sure, anyway it is shown in the menu) and then press 0 (zero) to boot with this boot option.
Jatin Kaushal

Post by Jatin Kaushal »

When I boot from usb, I get a menu listing some options:

Start linux Mint
Strart in compatibility mode
Integrity Mode
Memory check
Boot From Local Hard Disk

There is no number. What do I do?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Follow the instructions? At the bottom it says Tab to edit options, and I linked you to what option to add.
Jatin Kaushal

Post by Jatin Kaushal »

But there are soo many answers. I tried the one where I enter the "toram" parameter but nada. The second one, I tried to download refracta from http://www.ibiblio.org/refracta/, But there were dependencies which are not satisfiable! What do I Do? And by the way, you do enter the toram parameter after the "--" right? please correct me if I am wrong
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Works fine here. Whether you add toram before or after the --, make sure both on left and right of toram there is whitespace (i.e., not "--toram" but "-- toram"). After boot completes you see the USB in your mounted devices (usually icon on the desktop), and you can unmount it and continue to use the live system. Of course, this only works if you actually have enough RAM--the ISO is more than 1 GB in size so you need at least 2 GB RAM but to be really usable probably more.
Jatin Kaushal

Post by Jatin Kaushal »

I just tried that again but it does not even boot! When I enter the -- toram parameter, it does not boot. What can I do now?
Dyfi

Post by Dyfi »

Refracta Tools will install and work in mint17, I have done it. It needs package "live-config-upstart.deb" as a dependency.

Return to “Installation & Boot”