Windows 9 Scrapped, Skip To Windows 10. Metro Killed.

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Windows 9 Scrapped, Skip To Windows 10. Metro Killed.

Post by Spearmint2 »

ROFL~!

http://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-jumps-to-windows-10/

Originally codenamed Windows Threshold, the new operating system essentially does away with the tiled "Metro" user interface that Microsoft attempted to implement across its entire device line, from desktops to Surface tablets and Widows Phone devices. It is such a substantial leap, says Microsoft's executive VP of operating systems, Terry Myerson, that the company insisted on skipping over Windows 9 when transitioning from 2012's Windows 8.

"Windows 10 will run on the broadest amount of devices. A tailored experience for each device," Myerson said. "There will be one way to write a universal application, one store, one way for apps to be discovered purchased and updated across all of these devices."

Microsoft has spent the better part of two years, since Windows 8's debut in October 2012, responding to criticism over the direction it took its OS.

TIFKAM, the The Interface Formerly Known As Metro is now MSKM, (microsoft killed Metro) or MAD (Metro Assured Destruction)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Windows 9 Scrapped, Skip To Windows 10. Metro Killed.

Post by excollier »

To use eanfrid's terminology:
They said "nein" to nine :lol:
Registered Linux user #557695
MX Linux user these days - I introduce newbies via Mint
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

excollier wrote:To use eanfrid's terminology:
They said "nein" to nine :lol:
I LIKE THAT! Might borrow it for elsewhere. ;)
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Post by excollier »

I have already, many thanks to eanfrid.
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

You are welcome :lol: The joke did not last long :wink:
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Just wait till 11 and 12 get in a fight. In German, who wins?
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Post by excollier »

Obviously they decided e-neuf was e-neuf.....
I'll get my coat...........
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

I cannot take credit for this but this :

"What happened to windows 9?"

"Why '7' '8' '9' , Thats what happened".

coffee
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Night Wing »

Metro didn't get killed entirely. The Metro "Live Tiles" will be in the new Start Menu.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

Spearmint2 wrote:Just wait till 11 and 12 get in a fight. In German, who wins?
"Elf" dwarfs them all :arrow: []
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

"The name is a surprise, bearing in mind it represents a jump from the last version - Windows 8.

The software will run on a wide range of devices, from phones and tablets to PCs and Xbox games consoles,
- with applications sold from a single store.

- It also marks the return of the Start Menu, which had been removed from Windows 8."

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-29431412
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

"The name is a surprise, bearing in mind it represents a jump from the last version - Windows 8
10-9=7+8=0+0
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Post by excollier »

coffee412 wrote:I cannot take credit for this but this :

"What happened to windows 9?"

"Why '7' '8' '9' , Thats what happened".

coffee
:lol:
3mutts

Post by 3mutts »

I have actually downloaded Windows 10 and have it running in VMWare (using it to post this) and despite normal bugs that you expect in beta software (like the news app crashing the whole system) I think this is a pretty good replacement for Windows 7 and is WAY better than the POS that is Windows 8. This doesnt mean I will move away from Linux (I have my desktop dual booting Kubuntu and 7 and my Chromebook dual booting Chrome OS and Kubuntu) but I think I will buy this to replace 7 (because following the pattern, the OS that will come out when 7s support is gone will be a POS) as it adds some nice feature that I use on Linux all the time (multiple desktops as a example) however I will judge that when it is officially released.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

System requirements

Basically, if your PC can run Windows 8.1, you’re good to go.
If you're not sure, don't worry — Windows will check your system to make sure it can install the preview.

Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster

RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)

Free hard disk space: 16 GB

Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver

A Microsoft account and Internet access. ..
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
mintybits

Post by mintybits »

Ha ha. The Microsoft folk make me chuckle. All this money they waste. All the design meetings they've held. The huge number of hours they have squandered on coding and marketing.
When all they needed to do was to copy Linux Mint. 8)

I think M$ should get out of the OS business; they have never been very good at it.
Ranthe
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ranthe »

As a newly Mint-ed Linux user (and loving it), I'm greeting this MS anouncement with a hearty "Yeah, nah." Or even a resounding "Whatever." 8)
bjornmu
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bjornmu »

Apparently they had to drop 9 because lots of software checks for the O/S name starting with "Windows 9" and then behaves as if it's Windows 95 or 98. Imagine frustrated users being told their system is not supported or some functionality will be missing and they need to "upgrade to Windows XP or later". :lol:

I had a related problem myself just two weeks ago when I needed to compile some SW for FreeBSD 10 which had gone fine on FreeBSD 8 and 9. But now it failed miserably, and it turned out some options were disabled if the O/S name started with "freebsd1". Bummer!
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

bjornmu wrote:Apparently they had to drop 9 because lots of software checks for the O/S name starting with "Windows 9" and then behaves as if it's Windows 95 or 98. Imagine frustrated users being told their system is not supported or some functionality will be missing and they need to "upgrade to Windows XP or later". :lol:

I had a related problem myself just two weeks ago when I needed to compile some SW for FreeBSD 10 which had gone fine on FreeBSD 8 and 9. But now it failed miserably, and it turned out some options were disabled if the O/S name started with "freebsd1". Bummer!
That's the first thing I've heard that makes any sense of it.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

3mutts wrote:I have actually downloaded Windows 10 and have it running in VMWare (using it to post this) and despite normal bugs that you expect in beta software (like the news app crashing the whole system) I think this is a pretty good replacement for Windows 7 and is WAY better than the POS that is Windows 8...
This is in keeping with the unpublished, double secret, internal Microsoft policy code named "EOV" (every other version) which states that (only) every other version of their OS is worth even considering using... example - Win98SE was pretty good but Win Millennium sucked... WinXP was good but then its successor Vista met with poor reviews... Win7 was alright but 8 blew chunks... so it would make some sort of sense that Win10 would be at least somewhat respectable/useable... :mrgreen:

Having said that, I will always think of Win OSs as malware prone bloated spyware... :lol:
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image

Return to “Open Chat”