nvidia graphics drivers HELPPP [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
deathwiz

nvidia graphics drivers HELPPP [SOLVED]

Post by deathwiz »

So in my last post, i got mint 17 installed after some nvidia driver issues. well, while trying to get these drivers installed, it went wrong and now im running cinnaon in fallback mode. Here some of what i remember doing....

lspci and found out my graphics is geforce 840.
downloaded the driver from the nvidia site but it wouldnt install because it said i was running x server or something
added the xorg ppa
the file i downloaded said it was 343, so i ran apt-get install nvidia-343
this is currently installed on here (it shows up in package manager)
tried to reboot and... fallback mode

i was trying to follow a coupe different sites. one of them wanted the grub file edited but i ended up not doing that. One ran a command nvida-xconfig that i think created a file? what do i do?!?! can i manual install this downloaded driver somehow?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: nvidia graphics drivers HELPPP

Post by austin.texas »

post the result of the command:

Code: Select all

inxi -zv7
Post the results inside Code tags in your Reply.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
deathwiz

Post by deathwiz »

i just tried apt-get install nvida-current as well, no luck: here the result of inix -zvy

System:    Host: Envy-mint Kernel: 3.13.0-24-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 17 Qiana
Machine:   System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP ENVY 15 Notebook PC version: 0975100000405F10000620180 Chassis: type: 10
           Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 228D version: 77.15 Bios: Insyde version: F.09 date: 08/04/2014
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i7-4510U CPU (-HT-MCP-) cache: 4096 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 10376.4 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 754.00 MHz 2: 754.00 MHz 3: 754.00 MHz 4: 1800.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 
           X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) FAILED: nvidia Resolution: 640x480@59.9hz 
           GLX Renderer: N/A GLX Version: N/A Direct Rendering: N/A
Audio:     Card-1: Intel Lynx Point-LP HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Card-2: Intel Haswell-ULT HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:03.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.13.0-24-generic
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller 
           driver: r8169 ver: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 4000 bus-ID: 09:00.0
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter driver: ath9k bus-ID: 08:00.0
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
           WAN IP: <filter> IF: eth0 ip: N/A ip-v6: N/A IF: wlan0 ip: <filter> ip-v6: <filter> 
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (0.8% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: TOSHIBA_MQ01ABD1 size: 1000.2GB serial: 746NTCUMT 
           Optical: /dev/sr0 model: N/A rev: N/A dev-links: cdrom
           Features: speed: 24x multisession: yes audio: yes dvd: yes rw: cd-r,cd-rw,dvd-r,dvd-ram state: N/A
Partition: ID: / size: 28G used: 5.5G (21%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda6 
           label: N/A uuid: c1542f64-ab2e-451f-85f2-19235c9fa95a
           ID: /home size: 367G used: 1.9G (1%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda7 
           label: N/A uuid: ea0d04f5-a579-4160-83e3-92e3839f4862
           ID: /boot/efi size: 256M used: 109M (43%) fs: vfat dev: /dev/sda2 label: N/A uuid: 9A79-B3AE
           ID: swap-1 size: 9.72GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda8 
           label: N/A uuid: 21940014-6f11-4148-a743-e6e14e54fa92
RAID:      System: supported: N/A
           No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
           Unused Devices: none
Unmounted: ID: /dev/sda1 size: 0.68G label: WINRE uuid: E6BE0FD3BE0F9B67 
           ID: /dev/sda3 size: 0.13G label: N/A uuid: N/A 
           ID: /dev/sda4 size: 434.87G label: Windows uuid: 01CFDC4D47CD8EC0 
           ID: /dev/sda5 size: 24.52G label: RECOVERY uuid: 9CF20CB1F20C91A6 
           ID: /dev/sr0 size: 1.07G label: N/A uuid: N/A 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 48.0C mobo: N/A 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 186 Uptime: 2 min Memory: 407.4/7915.3MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.2 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4 
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Is this a brand-new machine?
Your BIOS date is 08/04/2014 and you have kernel: 3.13.0-24-generic which I believe was released earlier this year. So your BIOS is newer than the kernel.
That indicates that you might have better luck with a newer kernel - or at least the latest driver.
deathwiz wrote: i remember doing....
lspci and found out my graphics is geforce 840.
That does not show in the inxi results.
The results of inxi list Intel Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller
Please post that lspci
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

http://www.binarytides.com/inxi-system- ... ion-linux/
  • section 6 audio graphics info command
    inxi -AG
--some of the inxi commands: if you only want the GPU info, inxi -G is sufficient

Since you don't see NVIDIA installed and active in your last inxi display, and also a FAIL msg for the Nvidia driver, then you don't have Nvidia installed correctly, assuming you do have an Nvidia graphics device (GPU) on your system ??
X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) FAILED: nvidia Resolution: 640x480@59.9hz
Nvidia from a binary file is fairly easy to install
--and not even that much more difficult from a source file (from the Nvidia web site), matching the card model you have with the driver file that supports it..
http://www.binarytides.com/install-nvid ... x-mint-16/
--an installation method and some system checks, just in case it is an Nvidia chipset on that system
deathwiz

Post by deathwiz »

Yea its a new machine. The chip is in there because it's active on Windows 8.1 (I have dual al boot). That link that was posted was one that I was following. The driver manager didn't show anything when I got to that step. I downloaded the driver from the link on that page and that's the a .run file that wouldn't install because of server x was running. I tried to follow another site that, while logged out, pressed alt+ctrl+f1 i beleive to get to grub menu then used the command stop service lightdm or and lightdm didn't exist or wasnt a service. So how do I install this? and ive also never done anything with kernels, so how would i go about updating mine? does that just mean to get a newer distro?
deathwiz

Post by deathwiz »

okay so i tried this as well and still no luck: on logon screen, alt+ctrl+f2. then sudo service mdm stop. Then sudo apt-get remove purge nvidia. Then i cd to the downloaded driver (the .run). I ran it ad it opened and said that the pre-intall script failed. I continued and it finished. I then ran sudo nvidia xconfig. and rebooted.

still not working.

here is the result of the lspci:

~ $ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT DRAM Controller (rev 0b)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0b)
00:03.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT HD Audio Controller (rev 0b)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP USB xHCI HC (rev 04)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP HECI #0 (rev 04)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP HD Audio Controller (rev 04)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev e4)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP PCI Express Root Port 2 (rev e4)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP PCI Express Root Port 3 (rev e4)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP PCI Express Root Port 4 (rev e4)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP PCI Express Root Port 5 (rev e4)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP USB EHCI #1 (rev 04)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP LPC Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP SATA Controller 1 [AHCI mode] (rev 04)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP SMBus Controller (rev 04)
08:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
09:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 10)
0a:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM108M [GeForce 840M] (rev a2)
deathwiz

Post by deathwiz »

when i pull up the driver manager, i see nvidia and it has three things. The first is xserver-xorg-video-nouveau. The second is nvidia-340. The third is "continue using a manually installed driver". The first two are greyed out and continue using manually installed driver is selected.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

have you tried "nvidia-settings" or "bumblebee"? Open "Driver Manager in the Administration area?

sudo apt-get install nvidia-settings

sudo apt-get install bumblebee

driver-manager
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
deathwiz

Post by deathwiz »

alright so heres what i did. I installed bumblebee and that made the resolution better but i was still in fallback mode. I rebooted and then ran sudo apt-get nvidia-current. Oncce installed, opened the driver manager and seleccted nvidia 340 and rebooted. I am no longer in fallback mode but it doesnt seem that the graphics chip is working. My output for inxi is

inxi -Gxx
Graphics:  Card: Intel Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 
           X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.4.0-devel Direct Rendering: Yes
which is showing the stock intel one. Whats my next step?

When i go into the nvidia settings, i have an option that says nvidia performance mode or intel power saving mode. When i click on performance mode, a box pops up and has an x. There was no error message, just an x. It then switches back to the power saving mode?
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

All I can suggest is load and try different nvidia drivers and use the Drive Manager to check each one out.

You can run nvidia-settings from terminal

nvidia-settings
The terminal command for bumblebee I think is;

bumblebeed
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
deathwiz

Post by deathwiz »

man this sucks. It wont let me switch to performance mode :( im still researching though! theres still hope!
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

deathwiz wrote:man this sucks. It wont let me switch to performance mode :( im still researching though! theres still hope!
If this is for hardware acceleration, make sure it's turned on in the BIOS, if necessary.
deathwiz

Post by deathwiz »

there is no settings in my bios for hardwre acceleration. Any other ideas?
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

yeah, follow the natural conclusion from austin's suggestion, which is accept the newer kernel 3.13.0.36.43 now available in Package Manager as "linux-generic" which would have newer hardware drivers in it. If you install that one, then it should also as dependency install the headers and images that go along with it. If given an option to remove the old kernel or keep both, then choose to keep both. You can remove the old one later if the new is working OK, or just leave it.
deathwiz

Post by deathwiz »

Spearmint2 wrote:yeah, follow the natural conclusion from austin's suggestion, which is accept the newer kernel 3.13.0.36.43 now available in Package Manager as "linux-generic" which would have newer hardware drivers in it. If you install that one, then it should also as dependency install the headers and images that go along with it. If given an option to remove the old kernel or keep both, then choose to keep both. You can remove the old one later if the new is working OK, or just leave it.
I went into the update manager>>linux kernels. Then i downloaded the newest kernel which was 3.13.0.36. None of the options had the .43 afterwards so idk if they are the same or not. Ive had this newer one downloaded for a couple days now actually and the problem still exists.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

I think you will only have Intel driver files for windows that maybe the Device Manager can load and run. You did check the Device Manager?

http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/cat ... de%3A1341/

http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... er-337-25/

someone has similar problem in Mint

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topi ... prietary-/

Here at linuxmint

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=172483

Here's 32 and 64 bit drivers, maybe.
https://driverscollection.com/?H=GeForc ... inux%20x86

The driver version is :

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

32 bit
http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverRe ... 8468/en-us

64 bit
http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverRe ... 8469/en-us
Linux Display Driver - x86

Version: 340.46
Release Date: 2014.9.30
Operating System: Linux 32-bit
Language: English (US)
File Size: 38.00 MB

download

Release Highlights
Supported products
Additional information

Fixed an OpenGL issue that could cause glReadPixels() operations to be improperly clipped when resizing composited application windows, potentially leading to momentary X freezes.
Fixed a bug that could prevent the GLSL compiler from correctly evaluating some expressions when compiling shaders.
Fixed a bug that could cause nvidia-installer to crash while attempting to run nvidia-xconfig on systems where that utility is missing.
Added option UseSysmemPixmapAccel to control the use of GPU acceleration for X drawing operations on pixmaps allocated in system memory.
deathwiz

Post by deathwiz »

figured it out! bumblebee wasnt set up correctly. i followed this link and its working now.

http://www.linux.org/threads/nvidia-opt ... inux.4415/
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: nvidia graphics drivers HELPPP [SOLVED]

Post by Spearmint2 »

Good, lot of commands there, but gets it done. Remember, edit the Subject line in first post to add "SOLVED" since others need the same solution and can find it quicker.
ack0329

Re: nvidia graphics drivers HELPPP [SOLVED]

Post by ack0329 »

I had th4e exact same issues and more. The only solved my 8 hour intensive screw up and intensive troubleshooting session trying to use the latest nvidia driver or after any NVIDA driver was to do a clean install, and for the record I successfully installed NVIDIA's April 2015 version 4.5.0 NVIDIA 346.59 cutting edge driver.

I used the https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ubuntu/ppa and only with a new install did driver-manager show this and even a few newer drivers - weird - but worked.
A complete nvidia-settings again, with
the ability to select either Intel or Nvidia card for performance or quality gain - awesome
nvidia-xconfig magically returned
:D

For others reading this DO NOT install Bumblee be with Optimus setups. Add'l Drivers install primus awith Nvidia which does that "switching" job and CAN'T with Bumblebee installed!

Now to solve the video tearing/ Any ideas?? :?

My specs

$ inxi -F
System:    Host: Aarawn Kernel: 3.13.0-37-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca
Machine:   System: Hewlett-Packard (portable) product: HP ENVY TS 17 Notebook PC version: 0884100000305B00000620100
           Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 1966 version: KBC Version 93.52 Bios: Insyde version: F.65 date: 11/20/2014
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i7-4700MQ CPU (-HT-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 2401.00 MHz 2: 800.00 MHz 3: 800.00 MHz 4: 800.00 MHz 5: 800.00 MHz 6: 800.00 MHz 7: 800.00 MHz 8: 800.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card:[b] Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller [/b]
           X.Org: 1.15.1 driver: nvidia Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz, 1920x1080@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: [b]GeForce GT 740M/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 346.59[/b]
Audio:     Card-1: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
           Card-2: Intel 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel

Return to “Beginner Questions”