updating nvidia driver

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
yigit

updating nvidia driver

Post by yigit »

i have installed nvidia driver using driver manager and the version of installed driver is 331...

the latest verison of nvidia driver is 343...

is there any way to update driver to 343 using driver manager and...

how often is the nvidia driver updated in driver manager?

thank you...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
-al-

Re: updating nvidia driver

Post by -al- »

I used the following to get updated drivers:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa 
sudo apt-get update

then selected the latest driver from the 'Driver Manager'
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

and off course make sure your card is still supported or you end up with a console instead of a GUI.
also good to post the hw for witch you try to install something.
coolguy2k
Level 1
Level 1

Post by coolguy2k »

Is there something that you need from 343?

If you have it working with 331 and don't need something specific to 343, I'd stay with 331.

It's the old saying: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
freen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by freen »

It's broke, and needs fixing.

The 331 driver is from last year and doesn't support most of the latest cards.
The xorg-edgers ppa will break your system, sending you into dependency hell.
The official driver from nvidia is too generic and doesn't work well with Ubuntu based systems.

Unfortunately for those of us with recent hardware, there is no solution at the moment.

The OP asks an important question: when will this driver be updated?
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

xorg-edgers ppa will break your system
nope using it and installed 343 on 2 units without a glitch however the driver is buggy on a new GTX 970
Got the same problem doing native install just to be sure
Used 344.11 under windows to get a stable system (343 had some strange glitches)
Not knowing what the OPs card is makes it difficult to give more then "generic" info
-al-

Post by -al- »

freen wrote: The xorg-edgers ppa will break your system, sending you into dependency hell.

While I would prefer the Nvidia driver via Mints normal method, I have to ask what is wrong with the edgers PPA specifically? I don't seem to have any issues with it.
freen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by freen »

-al- wrote:While I would prefer the Nvidia driver via Mints normal method, I have to ask what is wrong with the edgers PPA specifically? I don't seem to have any issues with it.
I found it gave me ll sorts of dependency issues with many packages held back because they weren't compatible with the already installed packages from the ppa.
yigit

Post by yigit »

coolguy2k wrote:Is there something that you need from 343?

If you have it working with 331 and don't need something specific to 343, I'd stay with 331.

i have thought that an updated driver is better for everyone
yigit

Post by yigit »

for example if i have spent a bunch of money for a latest model of nvidia GPU, i guess it is my right to want the latest driver...

next year somebody will buy a 2015 model gpu and after installation linux all he/she will get is driver of 2 or 3 years ago... in my opinion thats not fair...
coolguy2k
Level 1
Level 1

Post by coolguy2k »

yigit wrote:

i have thought that an updated driver is better for everyone
Most times that is true, but not all of the time.

Software is tricky stuff and sometimes things get broken while fixing other things. Sometimes, things that were fixed in previous release get re-broken (it's called a regression). So it's good to check is the new release actually had some signification fix that you need or some great new feature, etc. Like I said, the old saying is just as true as ever: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
coolguy2k
Level 1
Level 1

Post by coolguy2k »

yigit wrote:

for example if i have spent a bunch of money for a latest model of nvidia GPU, i guess it is my right to want the latest driver...

next year somebody will buy a 2015 model gpu and after installation linux all he/she will get is driver of 2 or 3 years ago... in my opinion thats not fair...
I was not talking about what the linux distribution provides. I'm talking about how everyone gets "update fever" and always wants the newest update ASAP. You can go for the newest immediately if you want, but sometimes it's going to break your system that was working perfectly well.
freen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by freen »

coolguy2k wrote:
yigit wrote: I was not talking about what the linux distribution provides. I'm talking about how everyone gets "update fever" and always wants the newest update ASAP. You can go for the newest immediately if you want, but sometimes it's going to break your system that was working perfectly well.
In this case, the current driver that comes with Mint doesn't support any of the cards sold this year. Mint (and Ubuntu) is literally a year behind in hardware support for nvidia cards.
coolguy2k
Level 1
Level 1

Post by coolguy2k »

freen wrote:
coolguy2k wrote:
yigit wrote: I was not talking about what the linux distribution provides. I'm talking about how everyone gets "update fever" and always wants the newest update ASAP. You can go for the newest immediately if you want, but sometimes it's going to break your system that was working perfectly well.
In this case, the current driver that comes with Mint doesn't support any of the cards sold this year. Mint (and Ubuntu) is literally a year behind in hardware support for nvidia cards.
Are you one of those people that want's the whole world and free too?

What features are you missing? Is there something that doesn't work because you don't have the absolute latest drivers?

Maybe Mint and Ubuntu should charge big bucks like MS, then you'd get everything that you want.

If you paid for everything that you get in Mint/Ubuntu it would run about $1000 or more (for the equivalent MS products).

Just keepin' it real.
-Michel-

Post by -Michel- »

freen wrote:
coolguy2k wrote:
Actually NVIDIA released updates for linux that support the newest graphic cards.

Beta: 343.22 (mid september released)
Stable: 340.46 (end september released)

Install them the easy way by using the terminal and enter this

Beta:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-graphics-drivers-343 nvidia-settings

OR

Stable:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-graphics-drivers-340