LMDE Install error; blank screen problem

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
vcmaes

LMDE Install error; blank screen problem

Post by vcmaes »

OK, so I'm attempting install Linux Mint "Debian" - 201403 Cinnamon 64-bit on a Toshiba Satellite P50A. It has an Intel i5-4200 CPU, 12GB ram, and an NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M display adapter. The laptop is currently running Windows 8.1 and is operating normally.

I've tried installing it from both a DVD and USB drive. I only get as far as choosing between the regular install, compatibility install, and verify media options menu. Any choice is immediately followed by a blank screen (it seems to be kinda backlit), and the system just sits there. There's no drive access or reading occuring, but the system will reboot via Ctrl+Alt+Delete just fine.

I've looked up other threads related to installs hanging and/or blank screens at various points during install/upgrade. I've tried to add "nomodeset", "nvidia.modeset=0", "nomodeset xforcevesa", and other variants of the modeset command to boot parameter script by pressing 'e' at the install menu. All of these options result in the same outcome, the screen immediately goes blank, no drives read/write, nothing. I'm at a complete lost, and hopeful that I will get Mint running on my laptop. Please help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
py-thon

Re: LMDE 17 Install error; blank screen problem

Post by py-thon »

There is no such thing as Linux Mint 17 "Debian".
On your system there is either Linux Mint 17 or Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE).
vcmaes

LMDE 17 Install error; blank screen problem

Post by vcmaes »

Your post was neither helpful or informative as I'm aware the two are different entities. Had you asked for clarification, I would have informed you that
I've tried running BOTH Linux Mint 17 and LMDE 17 (64-bit cinnamon and mate) installations all with the same outcome.

I hope you at least feel better about yourself for pointing out a perceived error of someone in a public forum, while offering no help.

Just a heads up, it takes skill and practice to think critically and figure out what the point and/or key facts of a discussion are, even when every work/term/phrase is not correct in said discussion.
py-thon

Post by py-thon »

vcmaes wrote:as I'm aware the two are different entities. Had you asked for clarification, I would have informed you that
I've tried running BOTH Linux Mint 17 and LMDE 17 (64-bit cinnamon and mate) installations all with the same outcome.
Why didn't you say so in the beginning?
How do you expect someone is going to solve your problem if you are not even offering the most basic information?

But, you are right of course.
I have learnt something: in the future I won't even answer to threads like this one.
vcmaes

Post by vcmaes »

Bravo! I thank you for gracing my post with your infinite knowledge oh great and powerful py-thon.
Good day to you. [bows to one knee]
Distro-Don

Post by Distro-Don »

vcmaes wrote:Bravo! I thank you for gracing my post with your infinite knowledge oh great and powerful py-thon.
There is no LMDE 17. Just LMDE or LM 17.
vcmaes

Post by vcmaes »

Distro-Don wrote:
vcmaes wrote:Bravo! I thank you for gracing my post with your infinite knowledge oh great and powerful py-thon.
Duly noted, and updated, but do you have anything to add to the actual problem? Distro-Don, do you know why both installers (LMDE and LM 17) go blank after install menu?
Distro-Don

Post by Distro-Don »

vcmaes wrote:
Distro-Don wrote:
Duly noted, and updated, but do you have anything to add to the actual problem? Distro-Don, do you know why both installers (LMDE and LM 17) go blank after install menu?
Maybe you have a bad download. Did you check the MD5SUMs on the iso and also the on the DVD?
vcmaes

Re: LMDE Install error; blank screen problem

Post by vcmaes »

I have, and if the MD5SUM is not case sensitive, the MD5SUMS do match.
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

how about ubuntu?
you can try grab the xfce version then after it got installed, add mint's repo then 'mintifying' your ubuntu by installing the mint stuff. it is not an ideal solution but since LMDE will get new iso soon, there's no point installing LMDE with the old iso.
vcmaes

Post by vcmaes »

I really didn't want to go the Ubuntu route, but the Mint stuff just would not install on my machine. But without hesitation, the Ubuntu installer worked flawlessly. So for as much as I wanted to go the Mint route, it's just not cut out for my machine. AND I wasn't ready to dedicate hours upon hours to get a specific flavor of Linux running. I'm actualy replying to this thread via FireFox on Ubuntu 14. I reallly did want to use Mint :(
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

based on your explanation the problem lies on mint's installer. if that true then the only way to get mint on your system is mintifying an ubuntu. after the installation you'll need to add mint's repo, install mint tools and mint's DE. done. there are more step needed to clean your system from ubuntu theme and stuff but doing these step means that technically you'll have mint on your system.
fpierce

Post by fpierce »

FWIW I have the same problem with a Toshiba Satellite T-55-A with similar configuration. Not important enough to pursue further but thought you might want to know.
vcmaes

Post by vcmaes »

Thank you FP for the input. It's too bad too, cause I'm not impressed with Ubuntu. Are you running another flavor of Linux?

Return to “LMDE Archive”