Can Not Find Google Earth

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rustyp
Level 4
Level 4

Can Not Find Google Earth

Post by rustyp »

Installed Linux Mint on my computer, then went into update manager and updated eveything then went into software manager and searched for Google Earth then installed googleearth-package it installed, now I cant find the program.

Went to MENU typed in Google Earth nothing, so then typed in Google it returns this pidgin thing.

Went back to software manager searched again for Google Earth it says its installed, figured maybe I missed something so uninstalled it then reinstalled same deal cant find the program any place.

I am new to Linux Mint have used it about 3 hours now, NEVER used Linux before in my life, trying to get away from the Windows 8 nightmare after using windows since windows 3.0 they made Win8 so bad I am dumping them if I can get Linux Mint to replace what I do daily on my windows machine.

I tried to go look where the Google Earth was installed but I have no clue, I clicked on this "Files" program thing it makes no sense to me at all I cant even find c: drive on my computer much less go find the executable where the program was installed.

Suggestions?

I searched this site for Google Earth and it returned a huge amount of discussion but mostly just "google" returns went through the first page of returns and didnt find the same problem.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Before posting on this site I always verify I have the latest version of Linux Mint Cinnamon installed and run Update Manager.
Thanks.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Can Not Find Google Earth

Post by tdockery97 »

You installed the wrong package. The one you installed is used to compile Google Earth. You need to install Google Earth, not googleearth-package. It will be identified as either googleearth or google-earth-stable.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
rustyp
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rustyp »

tdockery97 wrote:You installed the wrong package. The one you installed is used to compile Google Earth. You need to install Google Earth, not googleearth-package. It will be identified as either googleearth or google-earth-stable.
Their is no "Google Earth" in Software Manager I installed the ONLY search return that mention the name Google Earth.

under the googleearth-package on the list it has 3 other programs but none are Google Earth, if I could figure out how to take a screen shot (assume its print screen like in windows) then process the screen cap I would post you a screen shot.

So what are the step by step for dummies instructions for installing Google Earth the correct package ?

On a side note another thing I noticed inside Software Manager is that in the area where it list the programs after you search it list the name and appears to list a description of the program?? but the text after the program name is cut off like it ran out of space, I have like 18" of blank space on my screen where it could fit the program description, in windows their is usually a way to "resize to fit" I tried to click and drag the area where it appears a colum line would be but had no luck.

Thanks.
Before posting on this site I always verify I have the latest version of Linux Mint Cinnamon installed and run Update Manager.
Thanks.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

<side note>
This thread had a duplicate. The duplicate has been removed. - Karl
</side note>
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
turtlebay777

Post by turtlebay777 »

Google Earth is in Package Manager, at least on my Mint 13 Mate x64 it is.

It is the one above googleearth-package.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hm, as far as I can tell from Synaptic package manager on Linux Mint 17 32-bit, the package to select is named google-earth-stable. The current version is 7.1.2.2041-r0. (Confirms what tdockery97 had already said before.)
Selecting and installing this software package will be the preferred method, because it will be updated automatically by mintUpdate, provided an updated version is available.
---
Alternatively you might also download and install the genuine Google Earth package from this website: Google Earth
You either download the 32-bit or the 64-bit .deb package for Debian/Ubuntu and install it with the help of gdebi: google-earth-stable_current_i386.deb (32-bit) or google-earth-stable_current_amd64.deb (64-bit)
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
rustyp
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rustyp »

When I go into software manager and search for Google Earth it returns the below.
Thanks.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

rustyp wrote:When I go into software manager and search for Google Earth it returns the below.
Use Synaptic! :mrgreen: Type google-earth-stable in the search bar... It'll look like this >>>
syn.png
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

rustyp,

I followed this guide http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1710

The 64-bit version crashed on startup so you want to avoid that one. I have no problems with the 32-bit version.

Good luck :wink:
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

have always pulled the 32bit version direct from their web site:
http://www.google.com/intl/en/earth/dow ... agree.html

as it is generally a more up-to-date version - than is available in software manager
- this is the one program that you always need the extra goodies that come in any later version.

once it is installed - go into the option settings & double the size of both the memory cache & the hdd cache settings.
- helps with off-line browsing.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
rustyp
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rustyp »

Holy cow, let me see if I have this straight.

I cant use software manager to search and find a common well known program like Google Earth, so I have to use another installer, so I open up Synaptic package manager and search for Google Earth and it returns googleearth-package but I have been instructed to install google-earth-stable that is not returned or on the list when you search for Google Earth, I can find google-earth-stable by searching for "google-earth-stable" but the only way I can find this is be joining a message board and making post then about 6 hrs later get the magic words "google-earth-stable" to search for.

Well this adventure has been an eye opener at the very least all the bragging about Linux Mint I have been reading about is starting to lose its luster real fast, we dont need to talk about how Linux Mint wont allow me to run Google Earth 64 bit and I have to run the 32 bit version on my state of the art 64 bit computer system.

Disaponted I am, a BIG THANKS for all your kind curtious FAST help you have made this disapointment bareable, I havent given up yet I wil continue to find and install programs that I use in my daily computer life and to play with Mint in hopes I never have to return to that POS Windows 8.

FYI in my researching for a replacement OS I was instructed to ONLY install programs using software manager by more than one source, was also told to avoid installing software downloaded outside software manager.

Thanks again for the help, Google Earth is installed and running.
Thanks.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

rustyp wrote:
FYI in my researching for a replacement OS I was instructed to ONLY install programs using software manager by more than one source, was also told to avoid installing software downloaded outside software manager.

That rule isn't written in stone. There are exceptions to getting software outside the official repositories...

Just understand the possible risks.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

Yeah, some things about Linux are not as simple as we would like... I had to look at Software Manager myself... I have to admit that Google Earth was hard to find in Software Manager... I had to type google in the search bar and then look down the resulting list to the 3rd item in the list before finding it!!! OMG! :lol:
SM.png
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

@rustyp: In all your posts you have not once revealed which version of Mint that you are using. Are you sure you're not using one of the older versions that is no longer supported?
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

that piccy from Reorx - is all that a N00B should ever need to do. ..

ie: that should work. ..
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Oldbwl
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Oldbwl »

rustyp wrote:When I go into software manager and search for Google Earth it returns the below.
If you search for the term "Google-Earth" instead of "Google Earth" you will find the item imediately. The software manager searches on a strict alpha basis, so sometimes you need to know the precise name of the item you are looking for. I have failed to find many any item as a result, but a quick search on here or google has always revealed what should be typed in.

One day a volunteer will find a good fuzzy search method which works for everyone, but until then, it is what it is.

Regards
TheWebaholic

Post by TheWebaholic »

If you are comfortable with terminal commands, sudo apt-get install google-earth-stable worked for me. :)
rustyp
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rustyp »

tdockery97 wrote:@rustyp: In all your posts you have not once revealed which version of Mint that you are using. Are you sure you're not using one of the older versions that is no longer supported?

"Installed Linux Mint on my computer, then went into update manager and updated eveything then went into software manager and searched for Google Earth then installed googleearth-package it installed, now I cant find the program."

Sorry I guess I should have said it was the latest verision of Linux Mint that was available for download on Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:45 and ran all the updates pm I have no idea what the numbers of linux mint version is or where I go to find them if you give me step by step instructions on how to do this I will return you the current version number, you can look at the time and date of this post for the current version I am running when I made this reply when I booted up last night I checked for and installed updates in software manager dunno if that updates mint or not but everything else is updated.
Thanks.
rustyp
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rustyp »

TheWebaholic wrote:If you are comfortable with terminal commands, sudo apt-get install google-earth-stable worked for me. :)

I didnt buy a computer before their was Windows because I didnt want a computer where I had to type commands into a black box, I decided this after looking over the shoulder of computer geek friends of mine and seeing if you have one little thing wrong in your typing it never works.

When Windows came up I bought a computer.

If I have to type in a little back box to install a program I will be going back to the crappy windows 8 its a POS operating system but at least I have yet had to type a single command in a little black box for anything.

Is the primative act of typing in a little black box is going to be required for linux mint I was under the impression it was not, I dont have hours of my life to waste only to find out I forgot to add a space or a special charactor OR someone else who told me to "cut and past this" had a typo.

Dont need to hear a bunch of computer geek backlash and crapola about typing comnamds either, I am pretty sure I have heard all the excuses that could ever be made by those black box typing types, typing in the little black boxes is not for me, my family, my friends you would be wasting your time trying to force it on us or trying to convince us to use that method, your enegries would be better spent advancing linux so it never needed any command line interaction from a home user and their famlies.

Thanks
Thanks.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

All things considered, I think you should save yourself some time, frustration, BS&T, etc... and just go back to Windows now. (at least with Windows you won't be forced to come to some obscure internet forum and have to interact with a bunch of computer geeks - OMG!) :lol:

Recreational reading 4U >>> http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

A man said to the universe: “Sir, I exist!” “However,” replied the universe, “That fact has not created in me a sense of obligation.”

Vaya con Dios... :mrgreen:
Last edited by Reorx on Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Image Image Image

Return to “Beginner Questions”