boot process interrupts

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hoppel
Level 3
Level 3

boot process interrupts

Post by hoppel »

Hi,

I just managed to misconfigure my Mint (again...), so it won't startup anymore. Instead I get the following message, which appears right after the start of gdm as it seems (the mouse pointer is already working):

Code: Select all

Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
I tried to solve it by using the "fix the x-system" command (which helped another time with the same failure message), but now this doesn't do anything. I have one clue what might be the reason: before the error occured I disabled some daemons which I thought I wouldn't need (for instance: I remember disabling the Bluetooth daemon).
I'm really stuck - is there a way to enable those daemons again? Could one of them be the cause?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rbanavara

Re: boot process interrupts

Post by rbanavara »

not sure if this helps, but try logging with failsafe gnome session (click on sessions from login window).
hoppel
Level 3
Level 3

Post by hoppel »

Well, unfortunately I'm not able to reach the login window (my gdm is configured to boot completely until the desktop appears - normally I don't see that screen).
rbanavara

Post by rbanavara »

There should be a way to disable the automatic login (just to resolve this issue). But I am not sure how to do this.

But you can try this: once you login (if you can get up to there!), log out & log back in with gnome in safe mode. See if this works.
jrd

Post by jrd »

To get a terminal you can type "ctrl alt f1" and from there you can log in and add your daemons back.
hoppel
Level 3
Level 3

Post by hoppel »

To be clear: I cannot do anything in the graphical mode except moving the mouse. The error message is displayed as a single window, it has a close-button which doesn't react on clicking. Though I can change to the terminal, as described by jrd. But I do not have clue how to add the missing daemons by using that terminal - I mean, I can login there, and what do I have to do after that? I'm not very familiar with the terminal - that's why I posted this under newbie questions...
rbanavara

Post by rbanavara »

not sure if this works..., if the automatic login is setup, pressing ctrl+al+backspace will it get you to login screen or will log you in back automatically...? The above key combination will kill the current x session & resatrt the xsession again. I am not sure how to reconfigue / add back the missing demon (also i dont think disabling bluetooth demon is causing this issue as they are totally not related).

But if you get back to login screen by pressing ctrl+al+backspace, then you can try out failsafe gnome session.
hoppel
Level 3
Level 3

Post by hoppel »

Thanks for your help, but it didn't work that way. Instead it suddenly started to work again - because of one little change in the environment: my wireless network didn't work for two weeks, now that it is online again, I can boot again. Since I experienced something like this earlier already I'm quite sure that the cause lies in a bug in Mint or Ubuntu. If a configured network isn't present, for instance because the router is offline or the signal is weak, Mint seems to stop working correctly. I also experienced problems when trying to shutdown after the router went offline.
Didn't happen with Darynna though...

Return to “Beginner Questions”