[unsolved]have to find usb storage device everytime

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
duder1982

[unsolved]have to find usb storage device everytime

Post by duder1982 »

Everytime I log on to Linux, I have to go to computer->browse network->then select my usb storage in order for vlc to see it. Is there a way that I can save it so its all ways there.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: have to find usb storage device everytime

Post by all41 »

Where is the usb device physically connected?
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
duder1982

Post by duder1982 »

all41 wrote:Where is the usb device physically connected?
To my netgear router model number d6300
duder1982

Post by duder1982 »

It appears I have some how saved a copy of ready share usb storage device to my desk top. I can't go into it and select musci from my phone, but I cand from the laptop itself. So now when I save a playlist, that I can select from my phone and now play without having to search for the usb storage. Does this sound right, if so I am happy with that. If not and I could make it to where I see the usb hard drive from my phone and build play list that would be great, but isn't neccessary.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

This is what I do
I have to go to computer->browse network-

Once you do this just then right click anywhere on your desktop and choose "Create Launcher" .
Type: choose "Location" --give it a name, and in the Location window point to the NAS folder.
Then open VLC and point to this shortcut.
Once you refer VLC to this folder it remembers
duder1982

Post by duder1982 »

all41 wrote:This is what I do
I have to go to computer->browse network-

Once you do this just then right click anywhere on your desktop and choose "Create Launcher" .
Type: choose "Location" --give it a name, and in the Location window point to the NAS folder.
Then open VLC and point to this shortcut.
Once you refer VLC to this folder it remembers
Ok, I must be missing something. When I create launcher, choose my usb folder. It makes me continue to open a file individually instead of the whole music file. So in order to do this I would have to create a shortcut for each song. Is there something I am missing.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Hi again. My stupid router does not recognize my external hd when directly connected so I have it plugged to a networked computer, but it should be the same. This is what I do:

1. Navigate to the folder with your media files on the network and click to open. There will be an icon on the desktop now. Navigate back to the folders.

2. Now right click that same folder and select Properties.

3. Right click an empty area of the desktop and select Create Launcher. For Type: select Location.

http://i1383.removed/albums/ah315/hamca ... f99e74.png

4.Copy and paste Location information across to the launcher Command dialogue. Paste the file name from the Properties to append the end of the location statement after the/. Give the link a name (my example shows the same name as the folder but it can be different). When you finish press OK.

http://i1383.removed/albums/ah315/hamca ... 68f1e2.png

Then after reboot this icon automounts and opens the Theatre 2 folder. Now I choose a custom icon by right clicking and select Properties, click on the icon symbol and choose. I have had difficulties when changing this icon during initial creation of the launcher.
duder1982

Post by duder1982 »

all41 wrote: Then after reboot this icon automounts and opens the Theatre 2 folder. Now I choose a custom icon by right clicking and select Properties, click on the icon symbol and choose. I have had difficulties when changing this icon during initial creation of the launcher.
Ok I now I have the auto launch icon, but I still have to double click on it. Which then the usb storage icon where the music folder is stored pops up on the desk top. Does this sound right.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Sounds right. I set my systems for single click. For the theatre room I have a desktop setup with large icons which point to my different
media folders such as CDs, Videos, Movies, etc. (There are about a dozen custom icons that pretty much fill the 65" screen--almost Win8 style :lol: , no other icons at all, but the wifey likes it that way). Also I do not display mounted drives on the "desktop" for this setup.
I can use the wireless keyboard/mouse in there but mostly we use a PC remote control using the arrow buttons to select the
media source and files we want to see or listen-we can do this from all our networked pcs in the bedrooms as well.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I'm kinda confused by this topic.

You want to have this networked attached usb drive mounted automatically when you login right? I'm not getting the connection to solving that issue with a launcher.

It's likely I'm missing some nuance here but if you are happy with the manual method of mounting it and just want it automated I would suggest Gigolo: Using Gigolo to Mount Remote Samba Shares

EDIT: Actually, since this thing is attached to the router and it's likely up before you boot your Linux box you can just set this up in startup applications:

Menu > Preferences > Startup Applications > Add. ( I'm assuming you are using MATE )

For the "Command" it would be something with this syntax:

Code: Select all

gvfs-mount smb://server-name-or-ip-addess/share-name
Like this:
gvfsmount.png
The next time you login there will be a mount icon on your desktop and it should appear in vlc. It's already mounted at this point so the mount icon on the desktop just opens up the file manager to show you the mounted share's contents.

Note: the difference between the gvfs-mount in startup applications method and the gigolo method ( which also uses gvfs-mount ) is that gigolo has the ability to wait until the server is up and operational before it mounts.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
duder1982

Post by duder1982 »

altair4 wrote:I'm kinda confused by this topic.

You want to have this networked attached usb drive mounted automatically when you login right? I'm not getting the connection to solving that issue with a launcher.

.[/color][/i]
Sorry I have been out of town on business. What are you confused about, yes I would like to have this usb drive mounted automatically and I greatly appreciate your help. I will take a look at it tonight if I have time and see if there is something I am missing. Again I appreciate your help, along with your patients.
duder1982

Post by duder1982 »

Ok, it seemed to work this morning. I am going to play around with this and see how it is working. I will report back.
duder1982

Post by duder1982 »

altair4 wrote:I'm kinda confused by this topic.
What i want to do is mount ready share to Linux Mint 17 mate.

Ok I am back, as this didn't turn out as I expected. I have done some research and it appears I need to make a directory or something. Some of this seems to be foreign language to me. From what i get I have to mount it to another folder or dirctory. When people speak of directory are they referring to a folder.
duder1982

Post by duder1982 »

all41 wrote:Where is the usb device physically connected?
To my netgear router.
duder1982

Re: [unsolved]have to find usb storage device everytime

Post by duder1982 »

When I try to creat a dirctory with mkdir I get "cannot create directory ‘smb://readyshare/’: No such file or directory"
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Does this still work:
duder1982 wrote:Everytime I log on to Linux, I have to go to computer->browse network->then select my usb storage in order for vlc to see it.
If it does:

[1] Install gigolo

sudo apt-get install gigolo
[2] Then run gigolo:

gigolo
[3] Then follow the steps in this HowTo to have the share automount at login: Using Gigolo to Mount Remote Samba Shares: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=52144
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
duder1982

Post by duder1982 »

Ok I followed the steps but for some reason it is still not auto mounting. I must be missing something, sometimes this open source stuff works great, others y9u really need to understand all the terminology to figure it out.

Ok gigolo just wont autostart, if I go to menu search gigolo and click on it then the readyshare mounts from there. So we are all most there just need to figure what setting I am missing for gigolo to auto start. It all most seems like my auto start function isn't working.
Lessss
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Lessss »

Network drives and samba shares are the one thing that I have found are still a little unstable in linux.

I've found cinnamon performs the best in this regard but still has some issues.

Gigolo can help.

It seems that the path standard has changed from one distro release to the next as well.
apparently smb.conf instead of using

[data]

path = /media/data

now uses

[data]

path = /media/USER/data

This change can obviously result in the path not being found.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

duder1982 wrote:Ok I followed the steps but for some reason it is still not auto mounting. I must be missing something, sometimes this open source stuff works great, others y9u really need to understand all the terminology to figure it out.

Ok gigolo just wont autostart, if I go to menu search gigolo and click on it then the readyshare mounts from there. So we are all most there just need to figure what setting I am missing for gigolo to auto start. It all most seems like my auto start function isn't working.
Maybe if we do this graphically it will help.

Open gigolo and connect to the share - this is an example:
G-Connect.png
Then Create the Bookmark by right clicking the mounted icon in gigolo and selecting "Create Bookmark":
CreateBookmark.png
Don't forget to select "Auto-Connect" when you create the bookmark.
The final step and the step it appears you didn't follow was to make sure the gigolo application itself starts at login.

In Cinnamon go to "System Settings" > "Startup Applications" > then add a new entry for gigolo:
G-AutoStart.png
Then logoff and log back in again and your share should be mounted within the 30 second default time setting.

If you still can't get it to work then I'll show you how to mount it through fstab.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Also, If gigolo starts fully open on the desktop when you login then you forgot to make the correct setting preferences:
G-InterfaceSettings.png

Return to “Networking”