Windows 10 is worse than 8

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
doob9911

Windows 10 is worse than 8

Post by doob9911 »

You must see bing gossip trend on search box.
It cannot be turned off.
WOW. Windows 7 will be my last windows os.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Windows 10 is worse than 8

Post by jimallyn »

98 was my last Windows. Microsoft will never get another dime from me.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

did get this to run on a friends laptop - the 64 bit version.
- initial impression(s) were - it's ok. - nothing special about it.

but: can't get it to run on my own gear ( too old maybe )
& that was the 32 bit version - Vbox didn't like it either.
- Fail - Fail - Fail - it was a real NoGo scenario
it's both the Intel (VT-x) and AMD (AMD-V) chip-sets that are the main culprit.

and you thought that the PAE - nonPAE - was bad enough
:lol:

basically - it seems that any hardware released earlier than win_6 < vista era > probably won't run win_10
& and that in itself - may be quite deliberate. :twisted:

How To Try Windows 10 If You’re Running Linux:
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/try-window ... ing-linux/

- personally - don't like M$ products.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Jamesc359

Post by Jamesc359 »

Pierre wrote:basically - it seems that any hardware released earlier than win_6 < vista era > probably won't run win_10
& and that in itself - may be quite deliberate. :twisted:
It most likely is, after all nothing moves their software faster than new hardware.
'Course any hardware that came before Vista is kind of old...
3mutts

Post by 3mutts »

FYI, I have a desktop from 2006 (its a Dell Dimension E521 which had Windows XP Media Edition on it originally) dual booting 10 and Lubuntu 14.04 and since Windows 8, you need to have memory protect enabled in your BIOS and to be honest, if your PC doesn't support it then it really should be retired (I think it was 2003 or 2004 where they started implementing it).
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

Windows is improving IMO. The Bing search has a better quality than Google, Windows 8 boots pretty much faster than even Windows 7, the security features are awesome. :)

Haven't tested Windows 10 yet, but it's not fair to say it's "worse than Windows 8", given that it won't be ready for another couple of months.
jahid

Post by jahid »

/dev/urandom wrote:Windows is improving IMO. The Bing search has a better quality than Google
I doubt that..
/dev/urandom wrote:Windows 8 boots pretty much faster than even Windows 7
That's true.. it's coming out of it's hibernation status.
/dev/urandom wrote:the security features are awesome.
comparing to win$7, that is..

My impression on Win$10:

10 = (8+7)/2 = 7.5
It's 7 but not totally 7
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

jahid wrote:I doubt that..
Why?
jahid wrote:My impression on Win$10:

10 = (8+7)/2 = 7.5
It's 7 but not totally 7
Huh?
lumbfoot

Post by lumbfoot »

Downloaded the beta version of Windows10 and installed it on a Toshiba laptop 32 bit which was originally built for Windows XP. No problems installing it or running it; no additional drivers needed even for the webcam. Installed Gimp and Open Office which run with no problems. Also installed a customised version of FishSim2 which does not run on Windows 8 and it runs okay on Windows 10. All in all I am impressed as I am not a lover of any Windows program and consider XP the best of the recent ones. As I have a number of computers I think I will leave it on the laptop and see how it goes and what updates Windows come out with.
doob9911

Post by doob9911 »

MS added option for this by new update. 9388?
I can turn off search icon on tray.
It seems many users complain about this like me.
Not bad.
And MS also deleted uninstalled app list on start menu.
Good.
lumbfoot

Post by lumbfoot »

It appears that on the beta copy of Windows 10 you cannot prevent the automatic updates. The installation I put on the other day updated itself and some of the text is unreadable; a re-instal of the original ISO cured the problem but I don't see how I can stop it happening again. So I am still sticking with Ubuntu and Linux Mint and will happily play around with Microsoft programs until they get it right. If they ever do!!
Mr_Reed
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mr_Reed »

I tried to get 10 to work, but I couldn't even get it to install on a powerful desktop. Windows 8/8.1 just makes me mad. When I had it on my laptop, it made the machine get really hot, and pegged out the processor every so often; usually whenever the computer was left alone for a little while and the screen would go black. During that time you would hear the fan kick in high and run like that for 30 minutes or longer. I contacted support about it, but no solution was ever offered. About the only thing that I liked about it was the pretty desktop wallpapers.
Mr_Reed
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mr_Reed »

jimallyn wrote:98 was my last Windows. Microsoft will never get another dime from me.
I'm growing to appreciate Vista more and more. I will gladly use it over their new offerings any day. Based on what they currently have, I'm thinking 7 will be my last.
Jamesc359

Post by Jamesc359 »

I managed to get the beta to install, but I have to say it still has quite a few issues. For example during startup sometimes it'll freeze for no apparent reason. Another issue is that Scroll Lock doesn't work, it's as if it's completely missing. Some people might not see this as a big deal and if Scroll Lock was still used for it's intended purpose it wouldn't be, however a lot of back-lit keyboards (mine included) still use it to turn their LEDs on and off.

Vista is an under appreciated OS in my opinion. In some ways it has features that make it superior. It simply had the misfortune of being the OS that introduced a new driver API and required something better than a P4 to run on. Seven requires the same hardware and yet nobody ever complains about it.
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

Mr_Reed wrote:About the only thing that I liked about it was the pretty desktop wallpapers.
Apart from it not running as an operating system should, the wallpapers were just plain ugly. That together with the colors they used in their theme made it look like something form the late 60's when everyone was stoned.
No, I said goodbye to Windows, last one was XP, after that only Linux in different variations.
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

/dev/urandom wrote:
Huh?
ur: I don't think you are going to get much sympathy or support on this forum. you'll be better off to go chat with Ed Bott.
¡Viva la Resistencia!
3mutts

Post by 3mutts »

Jamesc359, I know this late but you could fix the start up issue by disabling fast startup (some PCs dont like it and yours must be one of them)

http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-disable- ... ndows-8-1/

Same steps as in the link but using the start menu instead of the start screen.
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

mike acker wrote:I don't think you are going to get much sympathy or support on this forum.
I doubt I'll need them.
jahid

Post by jahid »

/dev/urandom wrote:
jahid wrote:My impression on Win$10:

10 = (8+7)/2 = 7.5
It's 7 but not totally 7
Huh?
Doesn't it look like a fancy version of windows 7?
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

No, not at all.

Return to “Open Chat”