when lmde 2 (betsy) will be available?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
ilAli
Level 3
Level 3

when lmde 2 (betsy) will be available?

Post by ilAli »

LMDE 2 (betsy) was supposed to be released in this november but there is not any news about it nor any beta or rc version of it for testing. so, when lmde 2 (betsy) will be available?
killer de bug

Re: when lmde 2 (betsy) will be available?

Post by killer de bug »

When it will be ready. :wink:

And new ETA is next spring when Jessie will not be moving at all...
ilAli
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ilAli »

i am planning to migrate from xubuntu to LMDE therefor i want to now when it will be available and should i download LMDE 2014.03 or i can wait for short time and then download and fresh install LMDE 2 betsy.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

It will be cleaner to wait until new iso are released. In 2015...
ilAli
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ilAli »

killer de bug wrote:It will be cleaner to wait until new iso are released. In 2015...
what is your resources about 2015?
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Really official ones...
Debian Jessie isn’t frozen yet and a lot of packages are still making their way into it. The recent upower and GTK updates show that the base isn’t quite ready just yet. Work continues on Betsy but a lot of what’s required for it will only happen once the base is completely frozen. We might be looking at Spring 2015, it’s hard to say just yet.
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2690

I advise to at least read the official websites before asking.
ilAli
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ilAli »

killer de bug wrote: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2690
I advise to at least read the official websites before asking.
you are right, i googled the title and found nothing but november. also in linux mint Monthly News – October 2014, in lmde section there was nothing about 2015.
when i found nothing, i tried to get answer here.
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

in case if you can't wait, you can get a kind of 'LMDE preview' by installing debian jessie. you can use cinnamon/mate from debian's native repo. when LMDE 2 got released simply add LMDE's repo then install mint's meta-package. the official statement said " We might be looking at Spring 2015, it’s hard to say just yet." it means that mint team will re-evaluate the condition on spring 2015 and see whether if it possible to release LMDE 2 or not. it doesn't means that you'll get LMDE 2 at spring 2015. the best possible scenario jessie will got released on Feb 2015. they'll need at least 1 month to test the new repo and prepare the new iso. meanwhile, new ubuntu will got released on April. mint team will busy preparing mint 17.2 and LMDE will got delayed until mint 17.2 got released (around May). if you take account these event, LMDE 2 might got released on June 2015. it's a quite rough calculation but it's highly unlikely that LMDE 2 will got released before June 2015.
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

Well that really stinks, LMDE really moves slow.
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

Debian Jessie isn’t frozen yet and a lot of packages are still making their way into it. The recent upower and GTK updates show that the base isn’t quite ready just yet.
jessie is now in frozen state and these excuses is no longer applied. if you want to get LMDE 2, then ask them. gather some people, start a campaign, or even start a petition to force mint team release LMDE 2. historical record shows that mint team will take action when certain riot started in LMDE forum.
- UP 6 haven't got updated. lot people complained, people take over LMDE KDE and XFCE version. you got UP 7
- UP 7 haven't got updated. lot people complained. people threaten to take over LMDE as community project. you got UP 8
- UP 8 haven't got updated. to make it worse, mint team planned to abandon it until jessie got released. lot people complained. lot of them moved to another distro. mint team promised to give UP 9 as a transition between testing to stable.

the UP 9 renamed into LMDE 2 and originally planned to be released on this november. later, they changed to original plan (abandon LMDE until jessie got released) when the riot stopped. time to start a new one perhaps?
Morlok8k

Post by Morlok8k »

rabble rabble rabble!

but yeah, LMDE needs love...
fleabus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fleabus »

I used to clamor for new releases. Now I prefer the ready when it's ready approach. A lot of hard pushing for release, release, release brings only eventual burnout. Better it be well and thoughtfully tested, released when reasonably stable. And less hassle for this user in the end. I'm perfectly happy with LMDE 201403 as it is. Standard repos get you all of 23 updates from a fresh install. For me, it just works. Frankly Betsy scares me. I suppose recent happenings over at Debian have made a Luddite of me. :mrgreen:
Morlok8k

Post by Morlok8k »

has anyone included the betsy repo yet?

Code: Select all

deb http://packages.linuxmint.com betsy main upstream import
i'm slightly tempted to try it.

Edit: I tried it. Don't do it.

Cinnamon wouldn't load, so i had to undo my changes by logging into MATE. (yuck)
I tried apt-pinning to auto-downgrade, but that was unsuccessful. I just had to manually downgrade each package.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

You should have waited, I would have told you that it would not work :lol:
Next time you should try first in a VB.
reference2myself

Post by reference2myself »

LMDE 2 with cinnamon 2.4.3 working nicely for me. Started a thread for it.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 49#p950049
simplex

Post by simplex »

Two question regarding this:

Does it still pay off to install LMDE 201403? Will I be able to upgrade directly from 201403 to LMDE 2 or will I have to do a complete fresh install? (If so, I would rather install Mint 17 Qiana.)

Will LMDE 2 support other desktop environments than MATE and Cinnamon? XFCE?

Thank you,
S.
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

simplex wrote:Two question regarding this:

Does it still pay off to install LMDE 201403? Will I be able to upgrade directly from 201403 to LMDE 2 or will I have to do a complete fresh install? (If so, I would rather install Mint 17 Qiana.)

Will LMDE 2 support other desktop environments than MATE and Cinnamon? XFCE?

Thank you,
S.
Yes, you should be able to upgrade in place to LMDE2 Also , LMDE only supports a Cinnamon or Mate DE, but , SolydXK will be moving to Debian Stable and will support KDE, and XFCE DE. I'm running LMDE 201403, and it works fine, just waiting for Betsy to show up. :)
py-thon

Post by py-thon »

simplex wrote:Does it still pay off to install LMDE 201403? Will I be able to upgrade directly from 201403 to LMDE 2 or will I have to do a complete fresh install? (If so, I would rather install Mint 17 Qiana.)
The claimed advantage of stability of future LMDE 2 being based on Debian Stable surely does not count if you start off with LMDE 201403 and have to upgrade in spring 2015 to LMDE 2. The update packs broke some systems and the upgrade from LMDE to LMDE 2 is bound to do so as well.
My advice for you: if you want to use some variety of Mint and are not in a hurry the sensible choice is Mint 17.1 Rebecca. The release candidate is out for ten days now and the final version should arrive within the next days.
reference2myself

Post by reference2myself »

py-thon wrote:
simplex wrote:Does it still pay off to install LMDE 201403? Will I be able to upgrade directly from 201403 to LMDE 2 or will I have to do a complete fresh install? (If so, I would rather install Mint 17 Qiana.)
The claimed advantage of stability of future LMDE 2 being based on Debian Stable surely does not count if you start off with LMDE 201403 and have to upgrade in spring 2015 to LMDE 2. The update packs broke some systems and the upgrade from LMDE to LMDE 2 is bound to do so as well.
My advice for you: if you want to use some variety of Mint and are not in a hurry the sensible choice is Mint 17.1 Rebecca. The release candidate is out for ten days now and the final version should arrive within the next days.
I already upgraded to LMDE 2 and it didn't break anything. It's actually more stable, Cinnamon is less buggy.
py-thon

Post by py-thon »

reference2myself wrote:I already upgraded to LMDE 2 and it didn't break anything.
Good for you but no proof that it will be like that for everyone.

Return to “LMDE Archive”